“Disappointing”

Ranked #453 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Canberra, Australia
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We had booked a twin room for my son and me, through Qantas travel, This was our last hotel in Italy. The taxi driver rudely dropped us off across the large piazza de Colonna rather than taking us close to the door. We were greeted with friendly staff who promptly accepted our voucher, no discussion, and assisted us to our room and explained the location and services.

Our room was on the sixth floor, next to the service room and directly under the terrace breakfast room. It was musty, dated, with old heavy furnishings not helpful for someone with asthma. The carpet was badly stained, paint was peeling on the marked walls, the toilet leaked badly and the windows were tiny, only living a view to the sky. It was surprising that the maid did not notice the dripping towels we placed next to the toilet to absorb the water flow from the toilet when flushing.

The safe did not work, but reception quickly someone to fix it. We needed to use wifi, and were shocked to be told it would cost €5 per day, as we had not had to pay for wifi at any other hotel or restaurant for the 6 week holiday we had just completed. Worse was that cost covered only one device at a time, very annoying.

We did not sleep well, and were woken very early by the excessive noise from above...furniture being dragged across tiled floors, loud footsteps and talking as the staff set up breakfast at 6 am.
The first morning we managed to get a table for breakfast actually on the terrace, but this proved difficult on following mornings. One day we had an excursion leaving before breakfast started and it would have been good to be able to get a takeaway bag like some hotels, with a drink and roll etc. in general the staff and food at breakfast were good.

The location of this hotel is central, but as it is located next to parliament buildings, there are a lot of police and security, and there were noisy protests going on several days. This limited access to our hotel. The reception staff offered to assist with bookings, which we did for the Ciao Roma blue hop on/ off bus. They took a Deposit and we had to pay the rest on board. This seems to be a rort between hotels and the bus company. The man on the bus didn't want to give us individual tickets and then as we travelled round, there were very long queues of hot tired people who could not get on the bus as it was full. They had been waiting over an hour. It meant if you got off you may not get back on for a long time. I would suggest using another bus company.

The final problem with this hotel came on the last day when checking out. We had put our luggage in to store for the day and then they presented me with the account, charging an extra€70 per night for my son. I proceeded to argue with them about the booking and how much I had paid, but they wanted to blame the booking agent and expected me to pay them, and claim back off Qantas travel. I produced various documents that they dismissed and were generally rude. I was very unhappy and angry that they would not accept the voucher when they had said nothing about any problem when checking in, and there was no discussion about having to pay extra. If there had been, I would have chased my travel agent immediately. After the intervention of my Italian speaking local friend, they offered to discount the extra charge by 50%!. I was still not happy to pay extra and they then got the manager, who made rude comments about me in Italian, and kept arguing that they were losing money. They finally gave in and I only paid for city taxes and wifi, but I was very disappointed in our treatment, and it soured our experience of our stay in Rome.

There were a lot of Australians staying at Colonna Palace, and maybe they had better rooms, but overall I would not recommend this hotel, and I would suggest Qantas removes it from their list of approved hotels. The room we had was not 4 star.

Room Tip: Do not stay on top 2 floors and demand a remodelled room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Anne C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Hebrew first
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Just returned from this hotel and have to say that couldn't ask for much better. Our room was dated but this added to the authenticity of the building, it's old not new! It was a standard room but by a lot of London standards it was huge, the furniture is in keeping with the building.our room was next door to the last review, I am a light sleeper and I didn't hear a thing?
My mum is a coeliac traveller and the hotel accomadated her perfectly. Staff couldn't be more helpful and rooftop terrace for breakfast was wonderful.
I agree breakfast could be a little more varied but it's a continental breakfast. I definately would return here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lynn190776
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 29, 2014

This was our last stop on our honeymoon. Rome. We were so excited and we read the reviews of this hotel. We were excited!

When we got there, our room wasn't ready, we were told it would take 40minutes. We left our luggage, walked around, and got some food. About an hour had passed when we went back and our room still wasn't ready. So they gave us another room. We get in there and it smells bad. The bottom of the bed was so close to the wall, you could't walk around it, get your luggage around it. The were marks all over the walls. We went to see if there was an upgrade available. There wasn't, but they switched our room. This one was even worse! The layout was better but there was cracked paint on the walls, the floor was dirty, there were stains on the blankets, and the sheets were dirty.

The bathroom was more modern, but they didn't believe in giving us more than 2 regular towels. Women sometimes need a second towel for their hair!!!!

We stayed out of the room as much as possible. I barely got any sleep there because of how uncomfortable the bed is. Also, our room, 573, was located next to a room where the workers go in and out of. They don't close the door lightly, so it slams shut everytime they go in and out, at all hours of the night.

We needed to make a phone call because something happened with my husbands credit card and the phone didn't work. One of the employees came to the room and it took him 10 minutes to get the phone to work.

The breakfast was awful. THe tables were dirty, and the staff threw crumbs on the floor. There options for breakfast were lacking, and not even the juice was fresh. We wound up not eating there!!!

I would NEVER EVER stay here again and I don't suggest anyone else stay here.

I will update later with pictures.

Room Tip: Ask to not stay near a room where the staff enters at all hours of the day and slams the door.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank living4music27

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Close to Pantheon and Trevi Fountain etc - walked to Spanish Steps and most other places.
Bedrooms adequate in size, good but not special bathroom and comfortable bed. Breakfast average but view over Rome from breakfast room stunning.
Air-con was poor though and that could be a problem.
Wifi - good but 7 Euros per day- not a deal breaker.
Would stay again ...in fact will do in three days time when I return from Florence (Firenze)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Heritage1
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We loved this hotel because we could and did walk everywhere. It is right in the heart of Rome within blocks of the Pantheon and opposite the Parliament building. The room was well equipped and comfortable. An outstanding breakfast is served on a rooftop terrace overlooking the city. The staff was helpful and efficient.

Room Tip: I enjoyed looking out at the Piazza di Montecitorio.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Wollongong Australia
Reviewed June 22, 2014

This Lovely Hotel Has A Touch Of Faded Glory About It But Is Well Located Within Walking Distance For Most Of The Major Landmarks And Lots Of Restaurants clsoe By. We Had A Large Room With Comfortable Beds. I Had The Nuisance Of Having My Wallet Stolen And The Girl On Reception That Night (I Think It Was Sarah) Could Not Have Done More To Help Me Sort It Out. Very Good Service From All The Staff.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2014

This was our 20+ stay at the Colonna Palace - just would not stay anywhere else in Rome - super location and fabulous staff. Over the past 15 years we have recommended the Colonna Palace to family and friends in the UK and USA, and all have been concurred with our opinion of this hotel and it's staff.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple