“Location is the big issue”

Courtyard by Marriott Rome Central Park
Ranked #256 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Hemyock, United Kingdom
“Location is the big issue”
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Arrived by taxi from Ostience Railway Station in south Rome (27 euros) late morning. Not easy taking your suitcases up into Reception, there are a number of steps and only a makeshift ramp system for the suitcases. Checkin was a bit chaotic, there were three members of staff and to checkin, each one had a part to play. Would have so much easier if one person dealt with us.
Our room on the 6th floor had a balcony and distant views over Rome. The room was really well equipped, clean and a good size. We were right outside the lifts, but that didn't cause any noise problems.
There is as mentioned a shuttle bus service into Rome, drops off/picks up at one location, adjacent to the Vatican City walls. It makes the journey in and out every hour from 0800 through to 2200 hrs except for the period between 12 noon and 1600hrs when there is no shuttle. The journey took 20-30 mins depending on the traffic and it had plenty of room.
We did have dinner at the Hotel, this was of good quality but very expensive. We also had breakfast, but the variety and the freshness was not great.
The location, probably about 3 miles or so out of the centre is an issue, if you cope with the shuttle or the local trains (station about 5mins away) then it presents good value for money.
Internet is available via computers in the lobby at 35c per min. I think there is also Wi-fi.
The Hotel has an airport transfer car service available at 50 euros and took 30-40 mins at 300 miles per hour, well it seemed like it!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rob3066

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Montreal
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We stayed in August for 5 nights - using points. From a value perspective, it was 'great'! I also received a room upgrade so we were very lucky to be treated to a larger room.

The location is a bit remote and this can prove tricky when using public transportation especially at night - the trains stop early. We got stuck one night and had to cab it back from Valle Aurelia - for 15 euro's. The shuttle from the hotel takes you right to the vatican for 2 euro's and we used this every day. It will also bring you back, but that service stops early in the evening - so, planning is a must.

There is another review here about a local market close to the hotel where you can pick up bread, meats, wine etc. We found it and here is a bit more detail on where to go. It is the "Supermercato" on the other side of the 'very' busy road behind the hotel. From the hotel, go right on their street, take the next right and make your way (carefully) across they busy main road. It is a little bit to the right from here - you cannot miss it. Just walk down the paved laneway, it is at the bottom of this road. Bring cutlery and a corkscrew from home. You'll be able to enjoy late dinners or make and pack lunches for your siteseeing in Rome! We bought wine back to Canada that we purchased from here.

The restaurant for breakfast buffet has many choices, we ate there only once.

Very close to the hotel are restaurants and cafe's where you can get your early morning pastry and coffee. However, they have odd hours and sometimes were closed - not sure why. But, cornetti (pastry with early apricot marmalade, my favorite) and cappucino for 2 was less than 4 euro's. I never saw anyone walking down the street with a coffee in their hand like we do in North America. The pastry and coffee in Italy is amazing!

The only not so great thing was booking a tour of the Vatican/Sistine chapel through the hotel. The booking was not good and the tour also disappointing. You cannot tour these two locations in 3 hours. Next time I would pay the money to "skip the line" and once inside, turn over the wireless headset to the tour guide and go on my own.

All in all, it was a very nice, comfortable hotel. I would next time book in the centre of the city. I will mark this as a recommendation - with the caveat of, if you want to save some money and don't mind being remote.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank David L
Las Vegas
Reviewed August 10, 2010

This hotel is a little out of Rome but it is a nice hotel with a shuttle to downtown or you can get a taxi. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. We got to sleep in late because it was quiet and you were not disturbed by the houskeeping staff. The Front Desk staff were very friendly and helpful. There was a bar and restaraunt downstairs that was convenient and had good food. The breakfast buffet for $12 Euros was good and I thought reasonable and had a good variety of food. We had a very nice dinner there also. I would recomment this hotel and if I were in Rome again I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed August 8, 2010

The hotel looks really great, rooms are clean and comfortable, equipped with tea and coffee maker. The staff is very helpful and, what is important they all speak good English.

The location is however not rewarding, too far from the main Rome's attractions. The public transportation is limited to one train line only.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank SuzieBobby
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We stayed there between 2nd of July to 6th.When we first arrived Mr.Gianni welcomed us at the reception and gave all the usefull tips for the city.The room was perfect and large,typicall American standart:))The location of the hotel is fine.It's almost 3 ml(5 km) far away from the center.But the transportation in Europe is really well organised as usual.Hotel also provides shuttle bus for 2 Euro per person.When we landed in Rome at the airport,we bought the train ticket to get to the hotel bu paying 8 Euro per person.But I do recommend to buy 3 days or a week ticket to use any public any time you need.From the airport to the hotel the easiest way is to take the train to Trastevere and then change the train to Gemelli.Gemelli train station is just 2 minutes walking distance to the hotel(when you come out the station, take the way to the left). To visit all the major sites,start in Gemelli train station again then get off the train at Valle Aurelia metro station.From Valle Aurelia you can get anywhere.Metro in Rome runs till midnight,but the train stops at about 22:30 p.m.If you're anywhere in Rome at late night,to be back to the hotel is also easy.Taxi costs around 50 to 60 Euro,but we did not take.When we were late,we took the metro(red line) to Cipro station,then walked 50 meters(150 feet) to the right and then found the taxi station and took the cab(12 Euro).In Rome taxis are problem at night,because they do not drive around the city like the other citiesin Europe.You need to find a station or get the emergency taxi-call number at your hotel and then give a call.
So,we really enjoyed our stay at Central Park Marriot.Thanks for any help of yours guys,especially Gianni:)))

Umit OZIPEK

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
9 Thank guideturkey13
Ft. Lauderdale
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I just returned from a week at the Marriott Rome Central Park.

Prior to reserving a room there I scoured all of the TripAdvisor reviews trying to read between the lines to come up with a good idea of what to expect out of this hotel since its basic flaw seems to be that it’s a bit out of the way.

The hotel itself is very nice. If you are looking for a property with large, American sized rooms, incredibly comfy beds and linens, then this place is for you. The marble bathroom was very nice as were the balconies (half of the rooms face St. Peters) and the air conditioning would please even Chilly Willy (a very important factor in Rome). The staff could not have possibly been nicer and more accommodating. One gentleman at the front desk that I was super impressed with was Nicola. His English was as good as any American’s, he’s very well informed and was able to answer all of my questions (and girls, he’s good looking too). Nicola represents this hotel in the best light.

We opted to eat in the hotel each morning to save time. The overall selection was good but the scrambled eggs were a bit funky. The fruit was excellent and the selection of meat was quite good. Coffee is served out of a machine which will also dispense espresso, cappuccino and lattes. Cereals were plentiful as well.

The hotel is located in a middle class residential area. As has been written here before, it’s slim pickens when it comes to restaurant’s in the area. There is a very good pizza place and a few doors down from there a full service restaurant with a somewhat limited menu called Taverna Sacchetti. Turn left on via Sacchetti and you will easily find them. Pizza was priced at about €4.50 for a large individual pie. The tavern had basic dishes (mostly pasta) for about €8.00, but that’s about it folks for eating in the area. We did get a recommendation from the front desk for a restaurant that turned out to be excellent, but it is located one stop down on the train. When exiting the Balduina station, make a right and just a few feet away is Capperi, which is also located in residential area. The prices were very reasonable (about €12.00 per entrée) and the meal was very good. The menu selection was large by the way.

There is a full service supermarket located across via Sacchetti called Carrefour Mercato. It’s very well hidden and located down a long driveway next to the bank. We stocked up on drinks and cheese there. Prices are not inflated because this is a typical neighborhood supermarket located miles away from tourists. Each room has a small fridge, so keeping soft drinks and water chilled was easy. Something else each floor has, which is a rarity in Europe, is an ice machine.

Most of you reading this review are concerned about the hotel location. I’ll give it to you straight folks, it’s not terribly convenient. It’s located a very short walk from the commuter rail line called the FM3, at the Gemelli station. You can connect to the subway three stops down but the transfer at Valle Aurelia is a slight pain because the commuter line runs on an elevated section and the subway is below ground. Since most escalators in Rome don’t work, some people will be huffing and puffing, although each station does have an elevator (not that I would trust them – this is Rome you know). The basic problem with the commuter line is the wait between trains. At best it’s 14 minutes (during rush hour), at worst – 35 minutes. Twice we had missed the train by inches and waited the full 35 minutes. I didn’t think having to take the train would bother me but it did because it meant that I couldn’t simply go back to the hotel during midday and rest. My wife and I landed up leaving in the morning and eating dinner in Rome and heading back once we felt the day was over. The rail line seemed safe but the graffiti is something you have to see to believe (aesthetic pride is not one of Rome’s strong suit). Each ride is a very reasonable €1.00 and you can purchase multi-day passes which allows you unlimited rides on the commuter lines, subways, buses and streetcars. This was the biggest bargain in all of Rome. Although the trains run on the honor system, I urge you to buy a ticket because I did get spot checked and those without a validated ticket will get a nice fat fine on the spot.

The hotel has a shuttle service to a subway stop a few blocks from St. Peters (Ottaviano), but they charge €2.00 per person and I didn’t think it was worth it. Others have written here that it’s a free service so I’m assuming they recently instituted the fee. The front desk can arrange a pickup from the airport for €55.00. My taxi ride from the hotel to the main railway station (Termini) cost €24.00 and took about 18 minutes at 7:00am.

I brought my laptop and was able to find a “stray” WIFI signal and connected for nothing, otherwise the hotel does have wireless service at €17.00 per 24 hour period.

I stayed at this Marriott property because I used Rewards points and didn’t want to blow most of my account staying downtown at the Grand Flora. The amount of points I saved staying at the Central Park will allow me to stay a week at a beach resort, so I have no qualms about that. If you are adventurous and don’t mind the inconvenience, then stay here. The staff will certainly make you feel at home. Feel free to send me a message if you want specific questions answered.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
9 Thank MarcJordan
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I wasn't expecting a whole lot from this hotel, but was very pleasantly surprised. The rooms are very spacious and have the "American" amenities we’re used to. We asked the staff a million questions about how to get around Rome and everyone was very helpful and knowledgeable. It's not in a very central location, but they have a free shuttle that goes into the city center every half an hour. We used this daily and it was very nice. There is also a supermarket and pharmacy within walking distance, and a train that takes you to the metro. The on site restaurant and room service were also very good.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple