“Shady characters and lack of security”

Courtyard by Marriott Rome Central Park
Ranked #258 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed August 26, 2009

We had a nightmare experience at this hotel. My husband stayed in one room with our teenage son and I stayed in the next room with our 15 yr old daughter. Around midnight, a man started calling my room (thinking that he was talking to my daughter) and said that he had seen her in the elevator and wanted her to come out for "tea or coffee". I assured him that he had the wrong room. He did not give up. 15 mins. later he called insisting that he knew who he was talking to and that he did have the correct room. Once again, I forcefully told him that he had the wrong room and hung up on him. My daughter and I went to sleep and at 1:30 in the a.m., the man started calling again, insisting that "I" come out and meet him. I was really mad and hung up on him. This time I called the front desk and told him that someone was harrassing my 15 yr old daughter who was petrified by this time. They said that they couldn't tell from what room the calls were being made and when I asked about security cameras, they told me that they had none. They said they would send security up. This never happened. Another call came in and I just hung up and immediately called the front desk for help again. "Oh so sorry. I'll send up security". Never came. My daughter and I were petrified and we called my husband to change rooms with us. The next morning my granddaughter told us that a man tried to coax her into a room on our floor - he was in the room immediately across from our room! It was a sleepless night. The lack of security was appalling. Never would go back there.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed August 23, 2009

on our recent trip to rome - we stayed at central hotel rome - although the location of the hotel is very good- the rooms are very small- it just ends where it starts - there is not enough room to walk around. for the price they are charging we definately expected a better room

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2009

If you are looking for a terrific value in Rome you just found it. This hotel is new to the Marriott family and requires some work to be brought up to its full standards, but it is a very nice hotel with a great staff. The front desk staff could not be more helpful. Thank you Erika D.!
Dont listen to those on this site who complain about the shuttle service. It is a terrific service that runs on the hour from the hotel and on the half hour back to the hotel. It drops you very conveniently about 4 blocks from the Vatican City walls, very close to St. Peters. The drop off point is right next to a Metro Stop and just two blocks from a huge taxi cab stand. Not it would be nice if it ran later than 930 pm but but the driver is very punctual and the service very reliable. You will save 15 euros each way with this service.

The rooms are basic and very nice. The television service only has about 3 english speaking stations so if you are in your room at night it will pretty much require you to pay for movies. But the selection is very good as is the pay internet service.

Skip breakfast it is very poor, I have never seen such runny scrambled eggs served anywhere, but the dinner is wonderful and DO NOT miss the wonderful sauce they serve on perfectly cooked pasta.

At the hotel you are only about two blocks walk to the Gemelli metro stop so for 1 euro you can be on your way, so you really do not need the shuttle service but it is a WONDERFUL service that takes you to a very convenient stop in the city.

I just cannot say enough good things about this wonderful addition to the Marriott service. I look forward to returning and seeing how Marriott brings the whole hotel up to standards.

• Stayed: July 2009
1  Thank tedhart
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Hotel itself was adequate for what we needed:
Pros:
Upgraded room to Suite that over looked St Peters
Staff were very friendly and accomodating
In a quite residential area
Free shuttle to Vatician area (though it stops around 7:00 PM)

Cons:
Not in Central Rome and train stops running at 10:30 PM
Very few restuarants to chose from in the area
Have to pay for gym access
Internet cost is very expensive
Breakfast buffet very expensive

Overall if you don't mind public transportation that is a very good Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2009

I have just returned from this hotel and had a great time. The hotel is beuatiful, lovely terrace with a great view, which is ideal for drinks in the evening. Bar prices are a little high. Moscatti restaurant is wonderful, very attentive staff and great food. No bread or service charge unlike 99% of hotels in the city centre. Try and request a room with front facing view.
The hotel does provide a minibus transfer on the hour between 8am and 9pm, except 1 hour at lunch time. Only 16 seats so you do need to get there early. We always managed to get a seat there and back every day. You are dropped 5 minute walk from Vatican.
I would have preferred a city centre hotel but would have paid probably 4 times as much for this.
If you can good a good rate then i would definately book this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I have stayed at hotels all around the world and at this hotel, the service was far from immaculate.

Good: shuttle service to the city (when available), rooms are clean and modernized

Bad:THE BED IS BY FAR THE HARDEST, most firm, BED EVER ,3 English TV channels, expensive internet, horrible customer service (waited 2 hours for a room service menu, waited a hour in the lobby while disrespectful staff talked on the phone, took forever to find the hotel (don't even try taking the train), the hotel is poorly labeled, there is absolutely nothing within walking distance to the hotel, the space in the shuttle is limited (it was often full). The room service food is pitiful. The staff always seems like they have something better to do, than help you out.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank uniquevariety01
Reviewed July 5, 2009

I stayed in late June with my wife and two kids (9 and 11 years), using Marriott points, for 6 nights. We reserved two rooms, and the hotel accommodated our request for the rooms to be connected (door between the rooms).

The room was nice, with wood floors, and was very clean. We did not have a balcony, but I believe this was due to my request for the connecting rooms. We had problems with the air conditioning in both rooms, but they were quickly fixed by the staff.

We ate only one meal at the restaurant (and even then just from the bar menu). Food was good, and we did get an occasional bottle of wine for the room. The wine was priced similarly to (or even a little less than) a restaurant in the city.

There is a grocery store across the street from Gemelli station, although I was never able to catch it open.

The big (and really only) issue I had with the hotel is the location. Yes, what other people have written is true. It's not hard to get there on public transport, and the shuttle bus does run hourly (on the hour into the city, and on the half hour back to the hotel). What we found, though, was that the bus filled to capacity on almost every one of our trips (it's a 16 person bus). If you don't get there early, you get turned away. Also, the regional transport lines don't run that frequently on the weekends, and you can end up waiting for those if you go that way. In the end, it felt like we planned around the bus schedule. It would have been nice to stay closer in to the city to allow easy access to the hotel.

One other minor thing - a couple of times I needed to speak to someone at the front desk before leaving for the day. The wait in the lobby was 10-15 minutes easily, as they only had two people working most days, and there are always lots of foreign travelers (like myself) trying to check in early. More staff would have helped!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family