“Smelled bad, but good food.”

Courtyard by Marriott Rome Central Park
Ranked #258 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The hallway smelled bad.
The room was too hot and could not be fixed.
One big reason I chose the hotel was because of the fitness facilities advertised, however, the fitness room was closed for repair.
The restaurant food was tasty but ridiculously expensive.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Amy P

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed at Courtyard Rome Central Park after doing an extensive review of hotels in Rome and found everything we were looking for here for our 10 day stay. The main floor decor was well done and had all the appropriate amenities. Our room was clean and well maintained everyday. The restaurants and bar were outstanding and had an extensive selection of food and drinks. The shuttle service was on time every time per the schedule and was clean. The train station was well within walking distance when we decided to use it.

The staff was friendly, very informative with all of our questions, and very polite. The Moscati Restaurant was elegant, had exquisite food and very professional service! All the staff made us feel very relaxed as if we were with family and not guest, with special thanks going out to Aleksandra, Riccardo, Paola, Simone, Loredana, Alloha and all not mentioned!

We would highly recommend staying here when visiting Rome. Marriott management should be very proud of how they are represented at this hotel!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank S-Chava-0113
Direzione H, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Courtyard by Marriott Rome Central Park, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Dear S Chava
We are so pleased you loved your recent stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Rome Central Park and would like to thank you for posting your wonderful review. Your very kind comments have been passed on to all the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future. Kind regards

Reviewed December 19, 2012

We needed a place to stay for three nights prior to a cruise. Hotel rates in the middle of the city are very high, so we chose the Courtyard Rome Central Park and used Marriott points. The location appeared to be a bit apart but not inconvenient to the tourist destinations in the city. We found some real pros and cons to staying here. The property itself is very nice; as others have pointed out, the rooms are spacious and comfortable and the place seemed to be quite clean. I might note that the two-bedded rooms contain double beds and not queen-sized. The reception staff was very pleasant, friendly, and helpful. Our room shared the long-distance view that others have posted, with the dome of St Peter's in the distance, which is pretty nice. It certainly doesn't matter, but what most photos omit is that you're looking across the hotel's parking lot, with the city view in the distance. The rooms have very attractive wood floors, which are probably healthier than if they were carpeted since you can readily see that the floor is not dusty. However, the wooden floors are a bit unforgiving if you have someone noisy above you. We were lucky in that it was mostly quiet, but when anyone walked across the floor above in heels, you knew it. One gripe I have with most hotel rooms anywhere is that only one luggage rack is provided for two (or more) occupants. We are very careful, but the temptation is to set suitcases on furnishings that could be scratched or damaged. As others have mentioned, the hotel utilizes a shuttle bus that drops and picks up outside the Vatican Museum, at 3 euro each way. With the Gemelli train station so nearby I wasn't sure that we'd use the shuttle bus, but as it turned out, we used it a couple of times and were glad for it. The shuttle bus runs between 8am and 9:30 pm.

Judging by others' comments, some people find the Courtyard's location convenient and others find it to be inconvenient. I would have to say that it's a bit less convenient than it appears on a map. No, the connections are not difficult, and the Gemelli station is barely a five minute walk from the hotel. But it does become a bit of a grind making the daily commute into the city and back (it's vacation, remember?), especially during rush hours and if dragging suitcases. The train at Gemelli is essentially a commuter line that you take to connect with the metro line to your destination. We found that, for daily touring purposes, taking the train and metro into Rome and returning to the hotel via the shuttle bus worked out well; providing you plan your touring day to end at the Vatican Museum where the bus stop is. One thing to remember is that at night, the commuter trains stop running fairly early, I think 10 pm, while the metro runs later. Again, it's not that getting into and out of Rome from the hotel is all that difficult; you just have to factor it into your day's plans.

The one thing I distinctly did not like about the Courtyard Rome Central Park is their breakfast. The continental breakfast costs 7 euro, which is currently $9.25. It's less generous than the complimentary continental breakfast that you'd find at a Days Inn or a Choice Hotel. It consists mostly of bread, and not bakery-quality. No fruit is offered. The juice and machine-dispensed coffee is OK. There are small packets of jam and Nutella for the bread. This continental breakfast should be complimentary or else no more than 5 euro. One day while choosing my breakfast breads I was reprimanded by a staff person, "No yogurt!" I was not about to take a yogurt, but since it's arranged next to the continental breakfast items, I can see why people might assume that a small container of yogurt would be included. But..."No yogurt!" C'mon, even our low-end chain hotels frequently throw in a yogurt. What they call the Full American breakfast is 14 euro, or $18.50. It entitles you to the above-mentioned breads, juice, and coffee, but also the YOGURT, eggs, and cold cuts. It may sound picky but I'm emphasizing this breakfast dichotomy because the continental/full American choices are not readily explained. All the breakfast items are displayed together but the continental breakfast restrictions are not intuitive or apparent. On our first morning there I had to ask what was what. And believe me, I didn't go near the yogurt.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Travelin_Bear
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed at the Courtyard Rome Central Park in Late November, The staff was great! I read from other travelers that they thought it was too far out. It was easy to take the train from the Airport and get to the hotel there is a stop right behind the hotel. Also they have suttle service everyday that takes you into the city for only 3Euro each way. My friend and myself went out early in the day and took in the sites and came back to the hotel around 6 or so took a nap or shower and took the last shuttle which was at 9 pm. And just hung out for the rest of the evening like dinner or a bar or whatever we decided to do. Because it was more than one of us we took a cab back from the city which was about 20 Euro and we split it, which was not bad. That saved alot of money compared to staying in hotels in the city that cost a lot more. The rooms were clean and nice. I liked the room in the front because I could see the city. We ate in the restaurant one night and the food was amazing. I would definitley go back to rome and stay in the same location. The Shuttle Guys were great also and the Staff really helps us know where to go. You can also purchase ur Roma card at the hotel I believe which is a must I think, save you time and money. ROME IS ABSOLUTELY GREAT! I would add that I believe that the hotel is very safe as they lock the doors at night and monitor flow of people that come in after hours.

As a African American Traveler, I felt very welcome in the City and especially the hotel.

Room Tip: Front Rooms to see the city!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank CopeTravel
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Perfect location, out of the city center but a short walk to the rail/metro lines giving you inexpensive and easy access to all the sights. Clean, efficient, friendly concierge, and the best breakfast buffet in europe.

Room Tip: It's the room price and Metro access that really sell this place.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LacBeauport
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott in Rome on the last night of a Riviera Tour. Since we arrived late in the day from Florence and departed in the early morning for our flight back to the US, I can't attest to the convenience of the location. If you have any difficulty with steps, I would recommend checking with the hotel to see if there is an alternate, easy access to the hotel other than the flight of steps at the entrance of the hotel. There is a narrow ramp, but I believe it would be a challenge for anyone to push someone in a wheelchair due to the steep incline.

Our room was sleekly modern, with what I suspect was laminated wood flooring (such as Pergo) in a lovely cherry. Upon entering the room, the bathroom was to the right and a work-type desk immediately ahead. The bed was to the right. After staying in several hotels with only a shower, I was thrilled to find the bathroom had a bathtub.

The room was very clean and had a streamlined appearance - which gave it a sleek and modern appearance. The bed was extremely comfortable and we heard no noise from the corridors or other rooms.

Our tour group had dinner @ the hotel which was very good, especially considering that there had been some miscommunicaitons or misunderstandings. Our Tour Director had called ahead to tell them we were going to be later than anticipated and asked to move dinner 30 minutes later than scheduled. It was during this conversation that he learned they were expecting 23 people, when the count was actually 46 people (in 23 rooms). Not only did they manage to produce 46 dinners, but it was excellent.

The front desk staff was very cordial and accommodating of our request for access to the business center that is situated in the lobby adjacent to the reception desk. I believe the cost was 1 Euro for 15 minutes. The connection was extremely slow, but we managed to get our boarding passes, which was all we needed.

Overall, the hotel was very appealing to us. Perhaps it was that it was a Marriott and the hotel was similar in style and decor or many US hotels, but we enjoyed our one night stay there and would recommend it to anyone looking to stay in that area of Rome.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lsb040
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My overall opinion is very positive. The hotel is very welcoming, cozy, the room was comfortable having a balcony. The pasta from La Moscati restaurant was good and the service was timely and very polite. The breakfasts were good as well.
there was one thing only that wasn't comfortable about the hotel. of course, this is a personal point of view. The hotel was located far from the center. There was a bus provided by the hotel leaving every hour to the center of Rome at a cost of 3 euros. This was a lot of help, but if you stayed out in the city late, you would have to come back by a taxi.

Room Tip: booking a room at a higher floor will give you a great view. also ask for a room with a view toward...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business