WINNER WONDERLAND

NH Roma Villa Carpegna
Ranked #315 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
GreenLeadersGold level
Innsbruck, Austria
“Bad value for money at NH Villa Carpegna”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

My wife and I were there October 19-24, 2012. Our experience was bad. Neither hard nor soft ware comes close to what is expected from a four star hotel. It certainly damages the reputation of nh hotels in general and does not match my prior experience with this company.

It seems the future of the place is not clear and therefore overdue refurbishment is not done.
This goes hand in hand with a very bad spirit of the team. The stuff is not service minded at all. I wittnessed quarrel in front of guests. It appears they always try to keep their workload low/ avoide extra effort.

We were checking 3 rooms before we agreed to stay. The first was said to be a non-smoking room, but it was smelling like a smoker room. The second was extremely small and dark. The third was large and not smelling so we took it. But all of them were run down.

In general, all areas are run down: e.g. the corridors, the elevators, the furniture, the bedframes, wallpapers come off, the bathrooms, curtains ....

You do not find a clean corner, carpet, wall or window at this place.

The bar is closed. They claim a technical problem. I had the impression there is no intend to open it; i.e. it never opens.

At the first morning we were having our breakfast at 9:40 - it closes at 10:00. There was no bread - I went into the kitchen to ask for it - I didn't find anybody, but what I saw in terms of dirt was disgusting. My wife asked a waiter for bread - only then they filled it up again.

Beakfast was the worst quality I ever got in Italy. The coffee was from a Nescafe instant machine - awful. Bread, cake, danish pastry, fruit were always the same - no change in 5 days! Cheese and sausage were of poor quality. Fruit juice was instant sirup as well.

To say something good - the hotel is perfect to park your car, it is quired and the mattresses were okay. I found the public transport options and connections good as well. However, the area where the hotel is located is not very appealing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Harald J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Hotel was very good, room was modern, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was fantastic and the staff were very helpful. Location is fine, shops and restaurants just around the corner, Vatican is about 20 minutes on foot. Bus stop is really close and will get you to all of the main sights. Bus fare is cheap and tickets are easy to buy. Hotel was excellent value!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Msk79
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I just recently got back from a trip to Italy and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The Hotel at first looked great when I arrived but when I got to the room it wasn't so great. The rooms where very out dated and the carpet was gross it looked like it wasn't cleaned in years. The bathroom was very clean however which was surprising. The service at the front desk was excellent which somewhat made up for the room. I had a problem with the WIFI but the front desk agents helped me quickly and got it working. The restaurant and bar where also nice and clean and the food was good as well. The hotel was in a great location! It was minutes from The Vatican and also had some nice little home style snack bars around that had amazing food. If you are spending a few nights in Roma and would like to be close to The Vatican you should give this hotel a shoot.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank WorldTraveler2192
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for 4 days in July 2012. The weather was hot and we really enjoyed the wonderful pool in the afternoons. The combination of sightseeing and sunbathing and relaxing by the pool was great. Location wasn´t really a problem although the busses are irregular. You can jump on almost any bus from the busstop at the square, they all take you to the river, and you can walk from there. We went by taxi from the airport, it was 80 euro, it is a fixed price. It was the same price when going back to the airport, the hotel arranged that, it worked out fine, the driver was pleasant and polite and did us the favour of posting some postcards for us. The staff at the hotel were also nice and helpful, and the hotel had a nice relaxed atmosphere. The breakfast was very good with lots of choice. We used the free half-hour wifi in the reception every day, it was OK. We went to the wiewpoint 5 minutes from the hotel, the wiew is great, the staff can tell you where it is. We also went to the park of Villa Pamphili 10-15 minutes walk from the hotel. It as exceptionally beautiful with wild turtles, lots of birds and exotic trees. It would also be great for jogging. Only problem was some noise at night, probably from some generators for the air-condition, it sounded like a washing mashine. We stayed at the 3rd floor, I don´t think it is as noisy at the lower floors. And the rooms looked a little worn. If I go to Rome in another time of year I will probably choose a place closer to the center, preferably close to Lg. Torre Argentina, you can walk everywhere from that square. But in summertime, I will choose this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank enjoyyourholiday_12
South West Victoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel as part of a two night stay with Globus tours the motel was clean, great breakfasts, offered us free wifi which was excellent though slow. You could pay for wifi for high speed but I though this wash bit steep for 24 hrs. I did ask for my room not to be cleaned and I displayed the relevant sight on the door but the cleaner still entered m room to clean.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

We went to this hotel for 3 nights at the end of August. Overall, the hotel is nice but needs to be re-furnished. The bed was really nice though: a huge king size bed :) The swimming pool is a bit small but ok. The breakfast is fine with many choices.

You can find buses quite easily (when you leave the hotel, turn left and then right, and you will find the busy road). However, do not be too impatient! Buses are quite irregular in Rome, but it's not due to the hotel... It might be easier to take a taxi rather than public transport to go to or from the airport. The price is £50.

To sum up, the hotel is fine; we enjoyed our stay but we expected something else for a 4 stars hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Paill-Paill
Bern, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

As we already came from Venice & Verona and having splurge to both places, we decided to take this hotel because we had few experiences in NH and it was actually good. The price is reasonable. When we book this hotel, we knew that it is not centrally located and with the public transport, it's actually fine.

When we arrived, we took public transport to reach the hotel. It was really a bad idea with the luggages, etc. We were so tired and we find it difficult to find even if we asked the locals (it's also partly our fault as we had no map of the hotel's location). We had to make a long walk in a wrong direction. But when you find it, it's not far from the bus station. It was ok during check-in. We ate sandwiches for snack and it was good. Being very picky about hotel's food, we are always afraid to try the dishes and opt to eat out. But we were very tired and decided not to go out in the evening of our arrival day and had our dinner at the hotel's restaurant. I can't fault the food. It was really good. The breakfast selection is great too. The hotel room is clean and average.

We booked a taxi from the hotel to the airport (1 day in advance from the reception) during our check-out. We were there and the check-out was quite busy. The taxi was late and we had to come back twice to the reception to ask them to call the taxi. The taxi was a no-show and we had to be hard on them to be able to get a taxi as it was raining and we booked one day in advance. In the end, they manage to give us a taxi and our money back and had to run the meter. We had a fixed price before the incident. The location turned out fantastic that day because it was starting to flood in the center during that time due to rain and the traffic was bad. We reached the airport on time. The staff is ok but you have to push them a little bit to get what you want. They supposed to double check the taxi for us and they failed to do so but I am happy that they found a solution otherwise we would have miss our flight.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple