“Good hotel just not downtown”

Sheraton Roma Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #626 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Located about halfway between the airport and downtown in the EUR district, this hotel is very nice. If you want go downtown you can take their shuttle for five euros per person to go downtown but no charge to return. Rooms are nice an service is good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelNow61

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I will start with the positives: I appreciated their use of local resources in their cuisine. The breakfast buffet was great and the 1-hour free internet use in the lobby was enough for our needs, as we were on vacation. I understand complaining about a room charge for internet access if one is working, but we wouldn't go there if we were working but that's just us. Another interesting but positive feature is that our room was cool all the time even though it was August. We were on the second floor facing the back, so the sun never shined in directly and we rarely had to use the A/C. The pool water was crystal clear and cool.

Now for the negatives, among them room service olives. They were gross! Shame on you! When we ate at the restaurant we were urged to sit near the pool, only to find out later that there was a 3-euro charge per person for that privilege. Unrelated to that meal but regarding the same area, my wife bought an 18-euro bottle of wine from there and paid 20 euro. She thought she was getting back her 2-euro change in the folded-up receipt but no; it wasn't there. She didn't find out until we got back to the room and we didn't get our 2 euros back. We had no tip for them when we ate the meal. Now, if anyone says that there's easy access to other neighborhoods that's a lie for some of us over a certain age. If you're young (say under 50), you can walk to the metro station even in August. My wife and I, 59 and 52, respectively, made it that far but she hated it and didn't want to go further and neither did I. So, if you're Catholic and over 50, you can't really walk to the nearest church and the TV offers absolutely NO religious programming. People say take a taxi, but how do we call one to get back without roaming? Sorry, but we don't travel internationally often enough to spend our hard-earned money on roaming charges just to call a taxi in a city we're not returning to. Another negative was the room service binder: it is very badly put together and needs to be redone. The information is neither consistent (partially translated) or complete (seems to be missing pages--but when I asked, they said it was complete). Now for the tours: I reviewed Carrani Tours on Tripadvisor but will repeat what I said here: they're great, to a point. Whatever the hotel and the tour company says about drop-off is confusing, inconsistent and ultimately plain false. You're better off taking a taxi when it's all over. Carrani Tours pretends to care about drop-off and even differentiates between those with and those without. Meaningless. If you're young, find the nearest metro (for Colosseum that's easy), go to the Magliana stop and walk to the hotel. Other than that, hail a taxicab because whatever the hotel and tour guides tell you about what happens after the tour is worthless. Hotel: before you provide the usual feedback telling me to come back so you can provide better service please don't. You had your chance and we saw what we came to see. We are not returning.

Room Tip: In summer, a room facing the back seems to be desirable. We hardly used the A/C.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James B
Sheraton_Roma, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Roma Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear James B

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate you taking the time to post a review. We are glad to see that you appreciated our cuisine and enjoyed our buffet breakfast, as well as the comfort and quietness of your room. It is regrettable however that we could not live up to your expectations under every aspect of your stay. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides us with valuable information that we can review to improve on for future guests. Thank you for your comments about the billing issue you had at our restaurant, we would like to be able to correct that and also check the room service directory that was in your room. Please feel free to contact our Executive Office on res.497sheraton.roma@sheraton.com so we can investigate this further.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

My stay at the Sheraton Rome was really not of a good experience:
- The hotel was in a very bad location - not only it was far away from the city center but there were many "working girls" around there which didnt make the area feel like a safe one.
- The room was not in good condition - toilet was broken, shower not working properly and the best of all: no plugs to use for your laptop or mobile, etc. However, the bed was comfortable.
- Very noisy neighbours - the rooms are not isolated enough, i really had noisy neighbours who talked very loud the whole night and prevented me from sleeping since you could hear it all (even if in chinese).

Luckily the breakfast was reasonable and could compensate a little (but could not say the same for the service). Net, very low quality for a Sheraton at very high price!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LAuditeur
Sheraton_Roma, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Roma Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Anisa P,

Thank you for your review. We are disappointed to see that your recent stay with us did not live up to your expectations and apologize for the maintenance issues in your room, as well as the noise coming from the other rooms. Please know that the issues you encountered are not typical of the level of service we strive to extend. We have also noted your comments about our location and would like to say that our hotel is in the EUR district, an affluent business and residential area, definitely not a dangerous quarter... of course petty crimes and annoyances may occur in the neighborhood as in any other part of central Rome, which is overall a safe city, safer than New York, Paris or London or even other Italian cities.
We hope that you will consider staying with us again and allow us the opportunity to show you our true level of service.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed here for 1 week from aug 1 - 8. The hotel is between the Fumicino airport and the Rome city. The reception staff were helpful and we got checked in quickly. Cleaning staff are also friendly but the restaurant staff can be rude sometimes. They don't even greet their guests "Bonnaserra" some don't even smile! Daily buffet breakfast was included with the accomodation but after 2 days it was horrible; the sausages and bacon were oily and bacon was not crispy enough the scrambled eggs were not fully cooked. It's not the same like B&B you get in England. Nobody ate the eggs... there was plenty left when I went for breakfast at 9am, I mean who would actually eat mushy eggs? So I told one of the staff and she offered me some other choice of eggs but I already had a hard boiled egg so I declined. The next day it was still the same...The bacon and eggs needed to be cooked a little longer. I asked to speak to the F&B manager and they served me crispy bacon and cooked scrambled eggs. We ate dinner at the restaurant on the evening day 1 and the service and food was okay with entertainment. I've have had better food before but because we were tired we didn't want to travel to the city, we ate at the hotel. In general, the hotel needs to improve their menus. On the 2nd evening onwards we ate out. We took the shuttle bus from the hotel to the Teatro di Marcello bus stop and went to have dinner in the city it cost about 6 Euros for starters, main course costs 18 - 25 Euros.

A few days later we wanted to have a dinner at the hotel with our kids, first we checked out the buffet, I asked the staff how much it cost for the buffet and he said 28 Euros. Since my hubby and I were not so hungry, but the kids were. I requested for kids menu and the manager said they don't have it. I told him we ate here before and there was kids menu the previous day. He then said rudely "that was wrong". We left the restaurant and I called up the Hotel Manager and complained. I said I was appauled with the treatment of their staff. And I mentioned that we had our wedding dinner at the Sheraton in Malaysia and their staff were always courteous and the standard of their services were not the same standards as the Sheraton elsewhere. He then apologized and said he will call me back in 5 minutes. 5 minutes later the F&B manager called up and said they found an old menu for the kids, I told him we were not going to the restaurant and would rather have room service. I ordered for the kids and the food was much better quality

The wifi is not free and you have to pay 16 euros for 1 hour. We used it twice and the second time my connection was cut off before 1 hour was up. I called up the reception and they said they would send somebody over to check. The help desk person came over and they apologized and we had 24 hours wifi.

The only nice thing about the hotel is their Link@Sheraton area where kids can at least play games on the computer. If they want to make it a family friendly hotel they need to provide baby sitting services and a games and play room for the children. Also a kids pool as the swimming pool is 1.2m & 1.6m deep. The pool has stains all around it and has a grill around it. It doesn't look like the professional photos provided by the hotel. Not enough of umbrellas as well.

They overcharged us in the bill and hubby had to go sort it out. In short,you have to check your bill before you pay for any unnecessary charges. Next time we will go to another hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank findlaters

Dear Findlaters,

Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to post a review. Feedback from our guests allows us to constantly improve our service. We are disappointed to see that we failed to meet your expectations and sincerely apologize for the unsatisfactory experience you had at our restaurant. Please know that we are addressing the issues you outlined with our Food & Beverage team to ensure we are able to provide the best possible service moving forward. We have also reviewed the other issues you mentioned as we continue to identify areas that require attention.
We do have wi-fi free of charge at our Link & Sheraton, Club Lounge and on the Club Floors and only in the privacy of your room payment is required, at 6 euros per hour or 16 euros for 24 hours.
Again, thank you for sharing your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again so we may have the chance to meet and exceed your expectations on your next visit.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights at the end of July and the only positive thing I can say is how friendly, polite and efficient the cleaning staff were.

The atmosphere at check in was that they were doing you a favour by checking you in. I am a Platinum member of this chain of hotels loyalty program and have never had an experience like this anywhere in the world.

As a Platinum member, upon check in you are supposed to be offered a welcome gift, one of which is a free continental restaurant. This was not offered and so on the first morning I took breakfast on the Club Lounge, as this is usually quite good and varied anyway. But on this occasion it consisted of rolls the size of golf balls, butter and boiled eggs. I queried this with Reception and was advised that I was not entitled to the continental breakfast. I queried this by calling Head Office in America, as I was not happy with that response, and they called the hotel. The hotel advised them that the breakfast in the Club Lounge was exactly the same at the continental breakfast in the main restaurant. By then I had been to the main restaurant and it was massive with lots of choice. Sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs, many breads, fruits and drinks etc.....
After advising the Head Office of that they gave up and said they would get the Hotel Manager to call me......what a load of aggro for a breakfast.
The Manager called me a few minutes later and spent 10 minutes trying to advise me that the breakfasts were both the same and eventually said I could eat in the main restaurant if I wanted to. So if you are SPG Platinum do not get fobbed off by Reception and insist on eating breakfast in the main restaurant.
The hotel staff generally will walk right through you in any part of the hotel and you are expected to get out of their way, even if you are carrying cases. The guy working in the gift shop will only serve you once he has finished his phone call or his chat to another member of staff. The swimming pool as brown stains all over the bottom of it and a brown tide mark all the way around the edge of it. This looks really bad from your room window if it looks over the pool. There were 4 sun shade umbrellas around the pool so get one by 9.30am or you will have no shade from the sun all day. The room service and restaurant food prices are the highest I have ever seen. Starters cost a minimum of €8 upwards. They can do this because there are no other restaurants within walking distance and its priced for business travellers who just claim the meal on expenses and so do not care about the cost.
There is a gym on the basement floor. I went in there to use a treadmill and only 1 out of the 4 was actually working.
There is a shuttle bus service to the city centre and back every 90 minutes. This costs €5 to the city centre and the return is free. The trip takes about 20 minutes.
There is also a shuttle bus service to and from the airport every 90 minutes which costs €7 in each direction. They drop you outside the terminal for departures, but I arrived into terminal 3 and it took 10 minutes to find the shuttle bus stop and it is a fair walk from the terminal. The shuttle bus journey time is about 15 minutes.
Before I visited this hotel I noticed that it was ranked 593 out of over 1,200 hotels in Rome on the Trip Advisor website. It is easy to see why.

Room Tip: I've never said this before, but my only tip is don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul F

Dear Paul F,

Thank you for your stay with us and for sharing your feedback via Tripadvisor. We value all comments from our guests and regret when their expectations are not met. We understand your disappointment with the inconsistent information you received regarding the benefits you are entitled to as an SPG Platinum member and would like to extend our sincerest apologies for any miscommunication on our side. We would like to clarify that as set forth by the Starwood Preferred Guest program, Platinum members are offered the choice of one of three welcome gifts, one of which is daily complimentary continental breakfast. Continental breakfast is defined as juice, coffee and pastries/breads/cereals/yogurts and in hotels that feature a Club Lounge serving continental breakfast - such as in our case - this gift is automatically provided to Platinum members, since access to the Club Lounge is one of the benefits they are entitled to. Breakfast served at the main restaurant is defined as full buffet breakfast, that is not included as part of the Platinum breakfast.

We have shared your other comments with the head departments involved so that we can continue to enhance and improve upon our performance for all of our guests and would like to assure you that the issues raised are certainly not reflective of the usual standards of our hotel. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sheraton Roma and regain your confidence in our services.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed in the Sheraton Rome in June, the end of our Italy road trip. We chose this location as we arrived in Rome by car (after a week long trip in Tuscany) and we wanted to avoid driving into the centre of Rome. The hotel is located in the Rome EUR area, and has a convenient shuttle-bus service between the Rome city centre (just next to Piazza Venezia) and the hotel.

The rooms are quite nice and spacious. I had stayed in this hotel many times in the past, and can say the rooms are good, up to Sheraton global standards. The rest of the hotel facilities are also nice (good swimming pool, 24 hour gym, very good hotel breakfast).

Please remember to book the hotel shuttle in advance, you need to acquire a ticket, and present this ticket when boarding the shuttle bus. No booking is needed for the return leg back to the hotel. Just remember to pick up the shuttle bus times before leaving the hotel. [The hotel website is out of date, it quotes EUR 3.5 for the shuttle bus, while the current fare is EUR 5].

There is VERY limited free parking at the hotel. [The hotel website boasts free parking, but in my stay I did not see any free spaces, even at midnight]. So you are obliged to use the expensive garage service. This takes away my appeal of staying at this hotel, as we arrived by car. Might as well stay in the city centre and park in a garage.

Room Tip: All rooms are in the same block. No view to choose from, so in short, any room is OK!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Kangelini,

Thank you staying us and taking the time to post a review. We are glad to see that the majority of your stay was satisfactory and that you appreciated our facilities. We have noted your comments regarding our downtown bus service and would like to say that the pricing information posted on our website is correct and was updated in April with the current fares.
We look forward to seeing you again at the Sheraton Roma

Reviewed August 1, 2013

When we arrived the desk staff were rather pompous. We were not offered our gift as platinum members. The room was nice and the cleaners were friendly. We had breakfast in the club lounge and was told it would be a continental breakfast but it definitely wasn't. There wasn't any toaster, no cheese, meats or cut fruits. It was very basic and the worst club room I have ever encountered. The pool was green in places and only opened at 9h30 and closed at 7 which in these temperatures is a joke. The pool restuarant was a total ripoff. The soft drinks were around 6 euros. A basic meal started at 18 euros. Yes the pasta was nice but not the best I had tasted. After complaining to SPG head office about the breakfast we went downstairs and the continental was exactly that. There was one waitress working behing the counter running around. All the male waiters were standing around talking and not helping her. She eventually said something and they slowly started clearing tables and doing something useful. There are no cafes close by so you are at the mercy of the hotel. In the room fridge there was a small packet of smarties for 4 euros, you can buy a pack of 5 in the UK for less than £2. All in all I wouldn't recommend this hotel for a holiday. When on business if the reception staff are pompous you are more than ready to snap back but on holdiay it would be nice to have pleasant frontline staff.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Susan F
Sheraton_Roma, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Roma Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Audleylighy

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay. We value all feedback from our guests, both positive and negative, and regret when their expectations are not met. Please accept our sincerest apologies for having missed the opportunity to impress you during your time with us. We have shared your comments regarding our staff with the head departments involved to ensure we maintain at all times the standards of quality and service that our guests rightly expect. We have also noted your remarks regarding the pricing of our services and would like to say that our rates are in line with the same category hotels of our area.
We hope that you will allow us the opportunity to regain your confidence in our services and look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Roma.