My Wife and I stayed at this hotel from 22 - 25 November 2013. Having read some previously extremely positive reviews following a special offer received from "Secret Escapes" we booked with a measure of confidence.
At the outset, it should be noted that the location of the hotel is perfect for visiting the Vatican, and the many other tourist sites can be accessed via the number 81 service bus (€1.20) from the Piazza Rigorgimento, a short walk away. In our opinion this is the main advantage of this hotel and a key factor in the overall rating given.
Although we had a wonderful time visiting the superb sites of the city the hotel fell short of our expectations, even when taking into account the rate we paid (around £90 per night) and really cannot see how they can justify what is published as the usual room rates - some in excess of €200 per night.
Having read the recent review submitted by megSriLanka (apparently written while staying at the hotel) we would wholeheartedly agree with a number of the observations made.
• Our room, although clean, was very small with only one chair and one glass
• Whilst the reception staff we encountered were extremely courteous and helpful those employed on the terrace for breakfast were very uncommunicative which bordered on rudeness - they gave the impression that they were not interested in providing service to paying guests
• The breakfast selection was adequate but limited - see the review from Susan P
• The terrace was booked for a private party on the evening of 23 November hence no dining or bar service was available for hotel guests
• The floor of the terrace was uneven and unstable in several places
• The terrace was not always open at the published times
Overall we cannot recommend the hotel as we would not stay here again ourselves.
However on a more positive note here is a tip we learned from an Italian lady on our flight from the UK for getting to the centre of the city from Ciampino airport. This should be borne in mind with the knowledge that this hotel charges €55 for a pre-booked taxi each way.
• Board the service bus at the terminal to ANAGNINA via CIAMPINO - cost €1.20
• At ANAGNINA (Metro Station) purchase tickets for the Metro - cost €1.50
• For this hotel get off at OTTAVIANO
• Again for this hotel walk down via Ottaviano, turn left on to via Cola di Rienzo, then right on to via Varrone the hotel is then on the right hand side.
Perfect journey providing you only have cabin luggage at a cost of €2.70 per person and obviously the route could be used for any hotel that is situated near a Metro station.
Finally we hope that this review is helpful in some way - we would stress that Rome is stunning and we had a memorable time visiting the many sites of interest - it really should not be missed !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just a short walk from the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel, Hotel dei Consoli opened in 2000 is a luxury hotel in rome, and offers guests excellent hospitality in an atmosphere of elegance and imperial splendor.Hotel dei Consoli is located in via Varrone, near the Vatican with its majestic piazza and church, in a sumptuous building fully refurbished in the Empire style. The interior stucco work is by the Neopolitan master craftsmen who were responsible for the decoration of the famous Reggia di Caserta near Naples. The Hotel occupies three storeys, respectively designated the storeys of the Mappamondi (maps of the world), Fiori (flowers) and Battaglie (battles). On the roof garden and terrace you can enjoy breakfast while admiring the famous dome of St Peter's. The peaceful atmosphere is especially welcomed by single guests looking for rest and comfort in total seclusion. Furnishings in warm colours and careful soundproofing make the hotel an oasis of refinement and peace right in the heart of the Eternal City. With its elegant atmosphere, fully-qualified staff and all the very latest technology, Hotel dei Consoli is sure to make your visit to Rome an unforgettable experience."Since 2006 the Hotel dei Consoli has the best customer reviews on Trip Advisor: friendliest and best staff, great location, very clean, home away from home" ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Fastbooking, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Hotel.de, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Dei Consoli reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dei Consoli Rome
- Dei Consoli Hotel