“Great location but some reservations”
Review of Hotel Dei Consoli

Hotel Dei Consoli
Ranked #504 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Hertfordshire, England
“Great location but some reservations”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

My Wife and I stayed at this hotel from 22 - 25 November 2013. Having read some previously extremely positive reviews following a special offer received from "Secret Escapes" we booked with a measure of confidence.

At the outset, it should be noted that the location of the hotel is perfect for visiting the Vatican, and the many other tourist sites can be accessed via the number 81 service bus (€1.20) from the Piazza Rigorgimento, a short walk away. In our opinion this is the main advantage of this hotel and a key factor in the overall rating given.

Although we had a wonderful time visiting the superb sites of the city the hotel fell short of our expectations, even when taking into account the rate we paid (around £90 per night) and really cannot see how they can justify what is published as the usual room rates - some in excess of €200 per night.

Having read the recent review submitted by megSriLanka (apparently written while staying at the hotel) we would wholeheartedly agree with a number of the observations made.

• Our room, although clean, was very small with only one chair and one glass
• Whilst the reception staff we encountered were extremely courteous and helpful those employed on the terrace for breakfast were very uncommunicative which bordered on rudeness - they gave the impression that they were not interested in providing service to paying guests
• The breakfast selection was adequate but limited - see the review from Susan P
• The terrace was booked for a private party on the evening of 23 November hence no dining or bar service was available for hotel guests
• The floor of the terrace was uneven and unstable in several places
• The terrace was not always open at the published times

Overall we cannot recommend the hotel as we would not stay here again ourselves.

However on a more positive note here is a tip we learned from an Italian lady on our flight from the UK for getting to the centre of the city from Ciampino airport. This should be borne in mind with the knowledge that this hotel charges €55 for a pre-booked taxi each way.

• Board the service bus at the terminal to ANAGNINA via CIAMPINO - cost €1.20
• At ANAGNINA (Metro Station) purchase tickets for the Metro - cost €1.50
• For this hotel get off at OTTAVIANO
• Again for this hotel walk down via Ottaviano, turn left on to via Cola di Rienzo, then right on to via Varrone the hotel is then on the right hand side.

Perfect journey providing you only have cabin luggage at a cost of €2.70 per person and obviously the route could be used for any hotel that is situated near a Metro station.

Finally we hope that this review is helpful in some way - we would stress that Rome is stunning and we had a memorable time visiting the many sites of interest - it really should not be missed !

1 Thank travelfans38
Hotel-dei-Consoli, Manager at Hotel Dei Consoli, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Dear guest,
i have been reading with great attention your review. I usually do it with all reviews in order to possibly learn about improvement opportunities, more commonly to verify our client's perception of our service and commitment to serve and help them.

As per your reference to other client review, I can confirm also to you that some private event can occur on our Terrace with advanced notice to clients. Also, I like to say that during possible private event, bar service is guaranteed on "living room "area on the first floor or also with room service.

I am sorry that your expectations were not fulfilled and I wish you to come back at our hotel with a longer stay.

Concerning your description of the option to have public transportations from Ciampino to the hotel and viceversa, it is useful you did it.

However, that is not our first advice to clients, particularly the ones flying at Ciampino airport (that it is commonly a smaller and less organized airport than Fiumicino). We do recommend that only to clients with specific request of the cheapest way to go to airports.

The limo services offered by the hotel at 55 euros is the suggested solution for travelers who want instead the comfort of being helped at arrival time, who want to be sure a person awaiting at the airport also in case of delay of flight (also late at night), who want that comfort and a very reasonable price.

I do look forward to having you again with us.
Luigi Pirrò

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel, very clean and Sam on reception was super friendly and helpful. The room was very small though and the bathroom was also small and so felt a little cramped. Breakfast was good but on the Saturday morning it was busy and there was only one member of staff which was not enough.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tracey,
thank you so much for your review of Hotel dei Consoli.
I am happy to read you had a pleasant time with us and that you enjoyed the positive atmosphere.
I apologise for having you encountered "traffic" on saturday morning for breakfast...I suppose you were with us while having a large group..
Looking forward to having you again here at Hotel dei Consoli.
Congleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2013

What a brilliant time we had in Rome, forget all the tales of expense, we managed very well ,
you just need to get of the tourist route. we had wine for 8 euro a bottle, and meals for 8 to 9 euros.
We did our own tours , saved on the guided price.
The hotel was clean and the staff excellent ,and only around the corner from the Vatican. The desk guys (Sam) gave us a map on our arrival
and circled all the main tourist "must do's" told us what buses to use and train stations to take and get off. trains cost 1.5 euro to any stop you want , but if you get off you'll need another 1.5 euro to get to another place.
With so much to do in four days, were already planning a return trip in 2014, but will go in November when the crowds have gone , although it was amazing seeing so many people there at this time of year.

1 Thank dave f
Dear Dave,
thank you for your review and for recommending Hotel dei Consoli to other guests..

Thank you for pointing out that "the hotel was clean and the staff excellent ,and only around the corner from the Vatican".

I do look forward to having you with us in 2014 for your next trip to Rome...
sri lanka
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Still here at hotel dei consoli but so disappointed and angry need to post review now. We expected a high class hotel... What we get is a basic room ... Very small... Only one chair no room to move or relax. Got told on arrival that terrace booked for private function so not available to guest and no other facility for drink or food so after very early start and long journey got directed several streets away for a place to get a coffee. Got told that terrace available for rest of our stay so this evening after a long day sightseeing including the 500 plus steps up the dome of St. Peter's.... We arrived back in our room to find the menu for the terrace displayed so decided we would eat at hotel as too tired to walk anywhere. We had also been given a card on arrival for our free drink to be taken this evening. We went up to the terrace which had ' open' on the door to be swiftly sent away saying booked for private function. We expressed our displeasure and disappointment to the 2 members of staff but no apology given . We were not attired to go out so had to go back to room to change. We expressed our concerns to the man on reception who was apologetic and said it was always happening and the main fault with the hotel . After eating out ... On our return hey ho there was a notice on lift saying terrace not available this evening.... Far too late to be of any use to us and probably on the back of our complaint. The receptionist asked that we complain again tomorrow morning when management on duty. After these evening functions on the roof terrace if u are in the third floor u also have to suffer the deafening noise of furniture being moved! I feel there is no consideration for paying guests ! Surprise surprise there was no upgrade available and the photos on the hotel site showing posh toiletries and chocolates also not true . We are supposed to be in a superior room but very small and basic . We considered ordering room service but room too small to eat in and only one chair at dressing table and no table to eat off.there is an unused bar area on I think first floor but obviously only used for storage... Surely this could be brought in to use to help with the problem of guests being turned out on the street when private function booked .

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Mag,
I am sorry that I did not have had the chance to meet you in person during your stay in order to clarify your points of disappointment.
Among your points, let me say that it can happen to have some event in the Terrace at night, but we do normally inform our guest in the early morning. At the same time, on a regular basis, bar service is always offered with room service or on first floor.
I apologise for you emotional review.
Luigi
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2013

The hotel is not far from where the shuttle coach dropped us. We had read the reviews from everyone else and were expecting a very warm welcome on a Sunday evening (which we just did not get.).. all the other reception staff were great. Room small but adequate yet in need of decoration. The Top Ten Rome Guide described it as a business hotel which is probably more of what it is. Breakfast was fine but as my partner did not eat scrambled eggs he went for cold meats and I am not sure that scrambled eggs and bacon each and every day would be great. Lots of cakes to select for breakfast but early in the morning not my choice. Directed to some nice restaurants by the pleasant reception staff and can recommend the Alex Jazz Club for live music and food. Free to enter if you get there before 8.Would recommend this hotel for business use not for a romantic trip away.

Room Tip: We had 303 . Shower only and very ricketty
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel-dei-Consoli, Manager at Hotel Dei Consoli, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Susan,
I have read with great attention your review and I focused on some specific points.

First, If I properly understood, I apologise if the doorman on your arrival on Sunday evening did not receive you with our typical "very warm welcome". Again, I apologise since it is a well-known priority of my family owning the hotel to give all and the warmest the support from reservation until departure, with special focus at arrival time...

I see your point about breakfast. I appreciate you recognized that there are lots of cakes to select, scrambled eggs, bacon, etc.... but you say that we could maybe do something more. Well, I commit to take action on your point in order to further improve breakfast in terms of greater variety.

Thank you for expressing your view and proposal and finally for recommend our hotel to other travelers.

looking forward to having you again with us.
Saint-Lambert
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We reserved this hotel for 1 night in Nov and were very disappointed. Of course the room upgrade was not available (but that was not guaranteed) and the glass of wine? A real farce...they sent us to their terrasse restaurant and served us a glass from a bottle already open (for how many days, we don't know) the wine was warm and tasted awful. We had a sip and that was enough. The terrasse was dirty, the floor inside the terrasse was uneven and not stable. The room was minuscule, we had to ask for a shower cap (the employee at reception had to go outside of the hotel to get one), there was no additionnal paper toilet, no kleenex and only 1 glass for 2 persons. But the worst part was that on the ceiling of the terrasse floor there were moulds and that is worrysome.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrs. Carolle,
I am going to honestly answer your complaint without hesitation and with commitment to open clarification.

However, I must admit that I consider your review an over-exagerated note from a client with attitude to see only problems.

I like to say that your complaint has totally surprised us, since no complaint arised during your stay that would have allowed me the chance to talk to you in person and explain my view as I do in the following.

Let’s start from free upgrade: free upgrade, as you mention, was undue. There was nothing that you could really complain. You can easily check on internet that the week-end on November 1st and November 2nd it is national holiday in Italy and we told you the true while saying the hotel was fully booked. Otherwise it would have been our pleasure to upgrade you.

Concerning your disappointement about the open bottle of white, it is common sense that while offering multiple clients glasses of wine, on a rotating basis a client is offered wine from an open bottle. Also, concerning the red wine, red wine is notably maintened at environment temperature (not in the fridge, as maybe it is your personal preference). None of 500 review on TripAdvisor has ever negatively commented on red and white wine. Overall, I am sorry that your comment is offending the credibility and the reputation of the hotel.

You furtherly mention the lack of glasses in the room: let me say that this is another totally false declaration since there is 1 glass on the sink and 2 glasses in the minibar. More glasses are offered on request to client without problems.
You mention, in the short but intense note, that “the worst part was
that on the ceiling of the terrasse floor there were moulds and that is
worrysome”. That is a false declaration.

I sincerely feel like there is nothing we should regret with reference to your note. I am absolutely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and the great majority of our clients do.
I hope that clients reading your review and my note can take a reasonable consideration of our attitude to listen to clients.

I wish you to find the most comfortable hotels during your travels.
London
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Very friendly reception staff (Sam and another guy), helping with directions and general information as well with helping with our Italian! We could leave our luggage on the last day after we checked out as we had a later flight.
The rooms comfortable and clean with fresh linen every day.
Great location near the Vatican and relatively near Ottaviano Metro Station
There was a buffet breakfast, OK if you like cake but not much else for choice, we didn't eat in the restaurant so cant comment on that, not because of a bad menu but we ate out in the evenings.The house white wine was very good!
We enjoyed our stay a lot and would recommend the hotel to people

Dear client,
thank you so much for your review and for recommending the Hotel dei Consoli to other travelers.

I am proud you recognized the very friendly reception staff, the attitude to help (with directions and general information and also your Italian!), the rooms comfortable and clean with fresh linen every day...and that overall you are very satisfied with your stay.

Once again, thank you for your review and I do hope to have again with us in the future.
Best regards,