“NO PLACE LIKE ROME”
Review of Hotel Dei Consoli

Hotel Dei Consoli
Ranked #492 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed November 27, 2013

What a brilliant time we had in Rome, forget all the tales of expense, we managed very well ,
you just need to get of the tourist route. we had wine for 8 euro a bottle, and meals for 8 to 9 euros.
We did our own tours , saved on the guided price.
The hotel was clean and the staff excellent ,and only around the corner from the Vatican. The desk guys (Sam) gave us a map on our arrival
and circled all the main tourist "must do's" told us what buses to use and train stations to take and get off. trains cost 1.5 euro to any stop you want , but if you get off you'll need another 1.5 euro to get to another place.
With so much to do in four days, were already planning a return trip in 2014, but will go in November when the crowds have gone , although it was amazing seeing so many people there at this time of year.

1  Thank dave f
Hotel-dei-Consoli, Manager at Hotel Dei Consoli, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Dear Dave,
thank you for your review and for recommending Hotel dei Consoli to other guests..

Thank you for pointing out that "the hotel was clean and the staff excellent ,and only around the corner from the Vatican".

I do look forward to having you with us in 2014 for your next trip to Rome...

There are newer reviews for Hotel Dei Consoli

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Still here at hotel dei consoli but so disappointed and angry need to post review now. We expected a high class hotel... What we get is a basic room ... Very small... Only one chair no room to move or relax. Got told on arrival that terrace booked for private function so not available to guest and no other facility for drink or food so after very early start and long journey got directed several streets away for a place to get a coffee. Got told that terrace available for rest of our stay so this evening after a long day sightseeing including the 500 plus steps up the dome of St. Peter's.... We arrived back in our room to find the menu for the terrace displayed so decided we would eat at hotel as too tired to walk anywhere. We had also been given a card on arrival for our free drink to be taken this evening. We went up to the terrace which had ' open' on the door to be swiftly sent away saying booked for private function. We expressed our displeasure and disappointment to the 2 members of staff but no apology given . We were not attired to go out so had to go back to room to change. We expressed our concerns to the man on reception who was apologetic and said it was always happening and the main fault with the hotel . After eating out ... On our return hey ho there was a notice on lift saying terrace not available this evening.... Far too late to be of any use to us and probably on the back of our complaint. The receptionist asked that we complain again tomorrow morning when management on duty. After these evening functions on the roof terrace if u are in the third floor u also have to suffer the deafening noise of furniture being moved! I feel there is no consideration for paying guests ! Surprise surprise there was no upgrade available and the photos on the hotel site showing posh toiletries and chocolates also not true . We are supposed to be in a superior room but very small and basic . We considered ordering room service but room too small to eat in and only one chair at dressing table and no table to eat off.there is an unused bar area on I think first floor but obviously only used for storage... Surely this could be brought in to use to help with the problem of guests being turned out on the street when private function booked .

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear Mag,
I am sorry that I did not have had the chance to meet you in person during your stay in order to clarify your points of disappointment.
Among your points, let me say that it can happen to have some event in the Terrace at night, but we do normally inform our guest in the early morning. At the same time, on a regular basis, bar service is always offered with room service or on first floor.
I apologise for you emotional review.
Luigi

Reviewed November 22, 2013

The hotel is not far from where the shuttle coach dropped us. We had read the reviews from everyone else and were expecting a very warm welcome on a Sunday evening (which we just did not get.).. all the other reception staff were great. Room small but adequate yet in need of decoration. The Top Ten Rome Guide described it as a business hotel which is probably more of what it is. Breakfast was fine but as my partner did not eat scrambled eggs he went for cold meats and I am not sure that scrambled eggs and bacon each and every day would be great. Lots of cakes to select for breakfast but early in the morning not my choice. Directed to some nice restaurants by the pleasant reception staff and can recommend the Alex Jazz Club for live music and food. Free to enter if you get there before 8.Would recommend this hotel for business use not for a romantic trip away.

Room Tip: We had 303 . Shower only and very ricketty
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel-dei-Consoli, Manager at Hotel Dei Consoli, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Susan,
I have read with great attention your review and I focused on some specific points.

First, If I properly understood, I apologise if the doorman on your arrival on Sunday evening did not receive you with our typical "very warm welcome". Again, I apologise since it is a well-known priority of my family owning the hotel to give all and the warmest the support from reservation until departure, with special focus at arrival time...

I see your point about breakfast. I appreciate you recognized that there are lots of cakes to select, scrambled eggs, bacon, etc.... but you say that we could maybe do something more. Well, I commit to take action on your point in order to further improve breakfast in terms of greater variety.

Thank you for expressing your view and proposal and finally for recommend our hotel to other travelers.

looking forward to having you again with us.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We reserved this hotel for 1 night in Nov and were very disappointed. Of course the room upgrade was not available (but that was not guaranteed) and the glass of wine? A real farce...they sent us to their terrasse restaurant and served us a glass from a bottle already open (for how many days, we don't know) the wine was warm and tasted awful. We had a sip and that was enough. The terrasse was dirty, the floor inside the terrasse was uneven and not stable. The room was minuscule, we had to ask for a shower cap (the employee at reception had to go outside of the hotel to get one), there was no additionnal paper toilet, no kleenex and only 1 glass for 2 persons. But the worst part was that on the ceiling of the terrasse floor there were moulds and that is worrysome.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mrs. Carolle,
I am going to honestly answer your complaint without hesitation and with commitment to open clarification.

However, I must admit that I consider your review an over-exagerated note from a client with attitude to see only problems.

I like to say that your complaint has totally surprised us, since no complaint arised during your stay that would have allowed me the chance to talk to you in person and explain my view as I do in the following.

Let’s start from free upgrade: free upgrade, as you mention, was undue. There was nothing that you could really complain. You can easily check on internet that the week-end on November 1st and November 2nd it is national holiday in Italy and we told you the true while saying the hotel was fully booked. Otherwise it would have been our pleasure to upgrade you.

Concerning your disappointement about the open bottle of white, it is common sense that while offering multiple clients glasses of wine, on a rotating basis a client is offered wine from an open bottle. Also, concerning the red wine, red wine is notably maintened at environment temperature (not in the fridge, as maybe it is your personal preference). None of 500 review on TripAdvisor has ever negatively commented on red and white wine. Overall, I am sorry that your comment is offending the credibility and the reputation of the hotel.

You furtherly mention the lack of glasses in the room: let me say that this is another totally false declaration since there is 1 glass on the sink and 2 glasses in the minibar. More glasses are offered on request to client without problems.
You mention, in the short but intense note, that “the worst part was
that on the ceiling of the terrasse floor there were moulds and that is
worrysome”. That is a false declaration.

I sincerely feel like there is nothing we should regret with reference to your note. I am absolutely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and the great majority of our clients do.
I hope that clients reading your review and my note can take a reasonable consideration of our attitude to listen to clients.

I wish you to find the most comfortable hotels during your travels.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Very friendly reception staff (Sam and another guy), helping with directions and general information as well with helping with our Italian! We could leave our luggage on the last day after we checked out as we had a later flight.
The rooms comfortable and clean with fresh linen every day.
Great location near the Vatican and relatively near Ottaviano Metro Station
There was a buffet breakfast, OK if you like cake but not much else for choice, we didn't eat in the restaurant so cant comment on that, not because of a bad menu but we ate out in the evenings.The house white wine was very good!
We enjoyed our stay a lot and would recommend the hotel to people

Dear client,
thank you so much for your review and for recommending the Hotel dei Consoli to other travelers.

I am proud you recognized the very friendly reception staff, the attitude to help (with directions and general information and also your Italian!), the rooms comfortable and clean with fresh linen every day...and that overall you are very satisfied with your stay.

Once again, thank you for your review and I do hope to have again with us in the future.
Best regards,

Reviewed November 15, 2013

No car needed at this hotel only 10 minute safe walk to Vatican. View of Vatican and city from rooftop restaurant terrace is tremendous. Nice area with plenty of restaurants and cafes within walking distance. Italian hotel staff spoke English and were very friendly and helpful. Hotel is a classic Roman hotel. A bit old but well kept and up to date with all the latest things you need today, i.e., free WiFi, TV, AC, etc. Food at rooftop terrace was excellent. Rooms were small but CLEAN and well maintained but we were told the room size is typical in Rome. I would stay there again. Hotel was advertised as a 4 star hotel and I agree. Can't comment about price as this hotel was part of a tour package put together in the US. Great place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street for a great view.
Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank John S

Dear John,
thank you so much for your review and recommendation of Hotel dei Consoli.
I do appreciate the genuinely of your note and I can read through your review that you fully enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for putting in evidence all our points of strengths: helpfulness of our staff, breakfast, room clean, free wifi, very good working air conditioning, terrace overlooking Saint Peter's dome and location, with plenty of restaurant around...
I do hope you to be our guest again in the future.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I proposed to my lovely girlfriend at the rooftop garden on Nov 7th. We stayed at the Hotel Dei Consoli for two nights and being first timers in Rome it was certainly ideal for us. Its proximity to the sites was a big plus, the roof top garden for breakfast or a night drink. The hotel staff led by Laura were helpful in planning my surprise dinner date on our first night. The ambience of the place and niceness of the staff made it a magical night and it all worked out well. I have been to a few hotels around the world and I must say the hotel staff were very polite and always willing to help.

We got upgraded to the junior suite. The rooms are not the largest but have ample storage. Not sure how large a room should be for a couple on a romantic breakaway. Small was out of the question. The room and bathroom size suited us just fine.

We aren't the most 'touristy' type couple (forgive my twisted English) but we sure saw a lot of the sites within those two days (Coliseum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, the lovely Piazzas, Ponte Di Angelo, just a bit of the Vatican amongst others), had some nice well priced Italian cuisine and even popped into a few shops. Forget about the bus tours if you happen to stay here and don't mind walking. It took us a short time to walk from the hotel to the Pantheon and all the wonderful sites in between.

1  Thank junaid_beloosagie

Dear client,
we are very proud and happy that you picked the Terrace of Hotel dei Consoli to propose to your lovely girlfriend.. Also We are proud that you recognized a very helpful and collaborative environment and that you liked the room and the location.
I think that your final sentence "Rome now holds a significance for us and when we return there is hardly any doubt what hotel we will call at..." is the greatest note we could ever recevy..
I wish you two the best in life and hope to have you again at Hotel dei Consoli.