“The Hotel Staff is Amazing”
Review of Astoria Garden

Astoria Garden
Ranked #383 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I just have to thank the following employees at the Astoria Garden Hotel: Ulrich, Lorenzo, Franco, Paulo, and Sirio.

When we arrived in Rome, my sister was very sick. The hotel asked if they could call a doctor to come see her. (OK, wait, doctors make housecalls? Toto, I know we're not in Kansas - (actually Houston) anymore!)
He diagnosed her with the flu. He wrote her a prescription and Franco walked me the couple of blocks to the doorstep of the Farmacia.

*The hotel itself is quaint on a quiet street.
*A few blocks from Termini Station.
*The rooms were the equivalent to a Howard Johnson's here in the States.
*Very clean!
*Beds-not so comfortable, but good enough.
*Hair dryers and shower worked.
Very strange, you open the door with an actual key, but on the same keychain is what looks like a room key, but you actually have to insert it into a box on the wall for the electricity to come on.
*Breakfast consists of coffee, juices, cereal, pastries, boiled eggs and cold cuts (salami, ham, cheese), croissants, etc.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are quiet with a great view!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Amy T
There are newer reviews for Astoria Garden

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I chose this hotel to the close proximity to the train and bus station and its direct link to the airport. This worked very well travelling with older family members and it was central to the city of Rome. My husband and I, as well as my Mum and Dad were allotted two of the garden rooms with our very own patio. My Auntie was given a small single room at the front of the hotel. Front desk was always happy to help with our questions and all other members of staff were friendly, happy and accommodating with all our requests. WiFi at this hotel is free, you just go and ask at the front desk, where they give you the password and username. Rooms were cleaned daily, breakfast was fine, standard European selection. Plenty of places to eat in the centre of Rome after visiting your main attractions, during the day. Really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter. Front hotel rooms face a school.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Julie S S
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights in this lovely hotel near the train station. I spent a lot of time trying to find a decent hotel near the train station that was less than $200 US dollars per night. I booked this hotel direct based on Trip Advisor reviews. I was a little leary of the location as I had heard the area northeast of the train station was a little seedy. I was pleasantly surprised by the area. My husband and I are an elderly couple and felt completely safe in the neighborhood. When we arrived the young man at the front desk was very helpful giving us recommendations on busses to take to the various sights in Rome. He called the Borghese Gallery to make a reservation for us and called to make a reservation for a restaurant owned by some friends of a friend from the US. They also called the restaurant when we had to cancel our reservation due to a demonstarion going on that closed the streets and access to public transporation. Our friend had sent a gift with us to give the the restaurant owner and since we were unable to make it to the restaurant, the front desk called and kept the gift for them to pick up. We had a lovely room on the first floor facing the garden with a small patio. Since I booked directly through the hotel, we had free WIFI. However, we were unable to access it in our room. Not a problem as we were able to access from the patio and the lovely lobby area. Contrary to other reviews, we found the breakfast plentiful with a good choice of cereal, pastries, hard boiled eggs, ham, cheese and juice. There was also a coffee machine that you could choose a variety of coffees such as cappucino or regular coffee. I would highly recommend this hotel for its value and location to the train station, metro and bus station and the helpful staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen N
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This hotel has a great location, very central. Our tour ended in Rome and we were heading to Amalfi for one night. We didn't want to log around our suitcases, so we asked if we could leave our bags over night at the hotel and they happily let us. This was a great help and added to the wonderful customer service. Front desk was always ready to help with our questions and they threw in wifi at no cost. Rooms were clean, breakfast was fine. Enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Flow_10
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I chose this hotel to its close proximity to the train station and its direct link to the airport. This worked very well and central to the city of Rome. My husband and i were alotted one of the garden rooms with our very own patio. Rooms were clean, adequate and as expected. We did not intend spending much time at the hotel more on exploring the city.
Breakfasts were standard European selection not one of the greatest but passable considering how many nationalities they have to deal with. Staff were very helpful and always warned us of pick pockets on our travels. There were plenty of places to eat in the centre of Rome for all prices and all tastes.
It was very hot when we visited in June and the all the usual tourist traps were busy but we managed to see all we could have wished for, The Colosseum, the Forum, Trevi fountain, the Vatican etc etc. As warned though plifering is rife my husband was pick pocketed twice in the same day on public transport so be warned. Fortunately nothing was taken but be aware they work in gangs.

Room Tip: Great location aware from the noisy main centre of Rome
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DiaryQueen
Reviewed September 30, 2013

There was a particular member of staff who was very helpful and kind. The others were poor. Wifi is not free - despite what they may advertise.

The rooms are fine - nothing special. Breakfast is below average.

It was clean and easy to find from the station (if you have a map).

Average.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laura-willow
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We had stayed at this hotel 10yrs ago and it's amneties have improved since then, They now provided a buffet breakfast (which was very good) and a bar which was great at the end of the day. Although the rooms are on the small side ours was very clean as was the rest of the hotel. The staff were pleasant and very helpful. We would certainly stay there again if we revisited Rome .Close to the train station making it easy to get the express from the airport in 30mins also the buses and metro are within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a rooms overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple