“will be back”

Ranked #384 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Leamington, Canada
“will be back”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

we booked this hotel and stayed for a long weekend back while living in Germany, and found it very handy to all locations, and close to the rome subway/metro...loved being able to walk to everything important to us! Great breakfast, and even when I almost started a fire with their toaster they were still smiling! Very friendly and helpful staff, room was certainly clean and well priced for the area. Staff recommended a restaurant around the corner, we even went twice for dinner there...loved it! We will be going back to Rome on holiday from Canada in September and plan on staying here again. I should mention that we had booked with friends to stay in the same hotel, the reservation got mixed up and there was only room for us (my fault, the mixup) but they were very accommodating and got them into the same type of hotel right next door almost!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights. It's in a great location. Walkable to Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps, even the Colosseum (if you like to walk). Minutes to Termini. Great restaurants right around the corner. Friendly staff. Good accommodations in the room. In comparison to where we stayed in Lido di Venezia, this was a better value and right around the same price. The staff were knowledgeable about the area and things to do. They acted like concierges as well as receptionists. The free breakfast was plentiful and more than a continental breakfast. Again, great value for what we paid. We were able to check in when we arrived - way earlier than the 3pm check-in which was great because we were truly exhausted from the overnight flight. There was free wifi which worked better in this room than in the other two rooms in Florence and Venice. We didn't need to go outside or hold the Kindle at a certain angle - it just worked. Would definitely stay here again.

San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed June 3, 2012

The hotel is located smack in the middle of a huge hotel community. Don't know how it compares in price with the others. This was the most expensive hotel of our 2 week Italian holiday. Can not believe that they limit you to 1 hour of wi-fi and act as though they are doing you a favor!! The bellhop scolded my husband for exiting through the wrong door to the garden. It seems like there are many more "no's" than "yes's". I had a free Italian 800 number to call and didn't want to use the room phone and incur any additional charges....you'd think I was asking for the moon! The breakfast was the worst one I had during our trip. Nothing was fresh, I couldn't believe that the cappachino came from the same machine that I find in local 7/11's! The room was adequate...definitely nothing fancy! We were very fortunate to find a parking space practically in front of the hotel, since we were warned about Rome parking! The manager was wonderful and very accommodating, but other than him, and the front desk person who helped us with our departure, I found the staff to be very hoity toity and cool. I would check around with other hotels prior to booking at this one!

Room Tip: Overall, okay.
California
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I was torn between giving this hotel 2 stars and 3 stars but decided to give it 2 stars based on the room I got during both my stays this month. First the plus side, the hotel is very conveniently located close to the Termini train station. You can walk to most of Rome's highlights within 30 minutes. The room I got was also pretty clean.

Now for the not so great part. The room I got was very small, smaller than other usual small rooms in Europe. It was quite dark at night, there were 2 lights in my room and they just did not give out enough light. There is also a school next door which made my street side room quite noisy. My room was on the third floor, I'd imagine that the second floor rooms would be worse from a noise level. I found my free breakfast just okay. On the front desk side, I had a very friendly and helpful person one time and not so great persons the next couple of times. One gave me clearly wrong information, he said a nearby supermarket was closed on Sunday when it was not.

I might give this hotel 3 stars, maybe even 4 stars, if I was given a garden side room and had the front desk person who was helpful there all the time. But, because I got a small, dark, and noisy room and not so great front desk people most of the time I can only give this place 2 stars even with its good location.

Room Tip: Avoid the street side rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Middle_Aged_Guy
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed May 25, 2012

After reviewing Hotels on TripAdvisor we chose the Astoria Gardens in Rome near the Terminni. Although the room was smaller, the bathroom was comfortable and worked very well. As for location it was perfect close to the Train station but not too close. Within the Train station are a large selection of shops which served us well during our stay.
The Hotel has a court yard with lovely gardens, orange trees, lemon, lime and bannana, the atmosphere is lovely and relaxing. We found that we were able to walk to all the attraction and retrauants of our choosing.
The staff are kind and helpful and the morning breakfast make for a wonderful start of the day. My wife tossed the coin into the Travi Fountin so if all is as the story goes we shall return and we would choose ths same Hotel.
We read all of the blogs about the possible hazards of Rome and the Terminni, found it all very safe and very easy to get around, the Police are very helpful with direction.

Room Tip: We choose the standard double room, there are other choices of some with balconies should one wish t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed May 25, 2012

As other reviewers have stated this hotel is a hop, skip and you might not even need the jump from Termini Station. So very beneficial when touring the city or needing to be centrally located. My husband and I stayed here for three nights in May of 2012.

Good: Staff were friendly, helpful and always doing whatever they could to make you comfortable. The gentleman who helped us with our bas (sorry I can't remember his name) also worked the coffee/bar in the lobby. So friendly. We spent many a warm afternoon just chatting while passing the heat of the day. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. It was extremely easy for us to traverse the city with Astoria Garden as a starting point. Unbeatable. Common areas are very nice.

Bad: Rooms are tiny. Tiny, tiny. Tinier than any other room we've stayed in throughout Europe. Beds are HORRIBLE! We had better beds in Venice which isn't saying much. We actually stripped the bed and put two more blankets underneath the sheets in order to have some comfort.

Bearable: Breakfast was decent. No real coffee, just a machine. Lots of pastries. You can't take breakfast out on the main patio which is kind of a bummer since it's so lovely. Rooms have a/c but they are extremely noisy so it was easier for us just to sleep with the windows open.

In all, stay for location. The staff will do everything they can to make you comfortable. If you can find a better deal for a three star, you may consider taking it. We would consider staying here again but not until we'd checked out our other options first.

Room Tip: If you request it they had one very large room on the top floor with a small balcony.
Ireland
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We booked this hotel based on location and reviews.

The good:
The location is very handy to Termini station. This means that you have easy access fromthe airport or the cruise port. Both metro lines run through Termini so you can get anywhere from this station. The hotel is about a 5 minute walk from the station.

The staff were very friendly. The public areas of the hotel are very nice. The courtyeard garden is lovely.

The Bad:
The rooms are tiny. Even by Rome standards these rooms are TINY. We stayed in a courtyard room and some friends stayed in the main hotel - both rooms were similar. Our room was dark and very plain. The furniture was mismatched and sparse. The wardrobe was about 24" wide and held a safe and a few drawers. Both beds were up against each other - twin. there was a small alcove for your suitcase. The bathroom was small but adaquate. You had to activate the electricity int he room by inserting your key into a slot. This meant that the room was hot because the air conditioning was not active until you were actually in the room.

The Ugly:
The Beds. These had to be the worse beds I have ever attempted to sleep on. Locally you could buy one of these beds for about €70 including the matress. They were hard and unyielding. I used to have a similar bed and it was made up of about 1/2 inch of foam covering bad springs. There was just 1 pillow which was flat (I had to ask for an extra pillow). I tossed and turned all night and when I woke after a fitful sleep I was aching all over.

Opinion.
This was not a cheap hotel - we paid over €180 per nigth for this room. If you are looking for a crash pad and are used to sleeping on a friends floor then stay here. If you plan on getting any sleep, then stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends