“Lives up to its 5 Stars” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Splendide Royal

Hotel Splendide Royal
Ranked #56 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
London, United Kingdom
“Lives up to its 5 Stars”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Having stayed in Rome for both business and pleasure on several occasions previously, I was aware of the extremely variable standard of hotel accommodation, regardless of star rating. As a consequence, I invested considerably more time in my selection than normal for a 3 night stay just before Easter, considering many of the established hotels, such as the Hassler, Eden, and Sofitel before eventually settling on the HSR.

That additional research was time well spent, in light of the combination of excellent location (5 minutes walk downhill to the top of the Spanish Steps) and good service and overall quality of the hotel. This was illustrated by an extremely helpful reception and concierge (who booked tickets for us for the Vatican Museum (saving an enormous amount of queuing time) as well as 2 very good restaurants, in particular Ad Hoc on Via di Ripetta), and a welcoming bottle of chilled champagne in our room upon arrival.

Perhaps the only negatives were the somewhat stoney faced waiting staff at breakfast (but always polite) and the very average coffee in a city that knows and appreciates good coffee. But if that is all I have to ‘complain’ about then I am scraping the barrel, as it had no impact on a most positive experience. Well done HSR and thank you.

4 Thank SJWalton
Guest relations S, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your kind comments and the time spent on your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and the Splendide Royal. Thank you the words on our crew at the front desk, we truly aim to give the best service ever also in suggesting the restaurants outside the hotel, Ad Hoc is one of our favorites to suggest after the Mirabelle that crowns the hotel from the 7th floor.

Thank you again for the nice words and looking forward to welcoming you back to the Eternal city in the future.

Guest relations department

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Not my usual routine but I had to review this lovely hotel which made my wife very happy and so me too. Given the usual box-rooms one gets as a basic level accommodation in capital city hotels, this was a properly superior room with little if anything to criticise. Ok not a great view and a kettle with tea would be great but decent beds, breakfast, bathroom and silence is what you really want. Added to the good location, excellent staff and general feel of luxury we would return for sure when we want another taste of the dolce vita and may just save up for a deluxe.

2 Thank redrobbo444
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your kind review.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our rooms are indeed bigger than the standard city rooms, thank you for noticing that!

We are looking forward to having you as a guest of the Hotel in the future for a taste or la dolce vita.

kezielou
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in February for my 30th, hotel is stunning and easy to find. We walked the 1mile from the Termini.
We were upgraded on arrival to a deluxe room in honour of my birthday which a lovely surprise, the hotel manager also left a bottle of sparkling wine in the room the next day as another surprise with a note wishing me a happy birthday.
This, and the friendly welcome from be staff who couldn't have been more helpful made our first trip to rome all the more enjoyable.
The hotel is less than 10 mins from the Spanish Steps, the reception desk gave us a map and tips on how to get everywhere else which all but the coliseum completely walkable but it depends on how fit you are I guess.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Rome

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kezielou
Guest relations S, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your kind review. We work really hard to try to achieve the level of service that you enjoyed so much and it is very rewarding for us to have you spreading the word with our fellow trip advisor readers.

Thank you very much again for staying with us, come visit us again in the near future.

athens
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

we had done reservation for 2 deluxe rooms, me and a friend of my, from booking.com and when we arrived they told us that we have 1 room. After 15 minutes, they found out that we had reserved 2 rooms , but they didn not had 2 deluxe ! they gave us 1 deluxe and 1 double and the second day they gave us the other deluxe. My deluxe room, unfortunatly, had black out curtains only for the main, big window. But no curtains for a small window between the bedroom and the bathroom , from which all the light was in the room froom early morning ! i did not sleep almost at all, because we returned very lait at the hotel and the sunrize was very early ! Also, my room was at 1 st floor and i heard noise from the road . Also my deluxe room did not had view, as they describe at the hotel page, in internet . When i told them that i could not sleep from the light from this aditional small window, they told me that they did not had other room ! The first evening we had dinner at the hotel roof garden restaurant. It was very nice, we liked the food, the service , the view, the wine but it was also too expensive. The breakfast also it was really very nice, and we had very nice view from terrace. I dont know if i choose it again , after these problems we had about our reservation and about the light in my bedroom which did not allowed me to sleep. Because when you pay so much money, for a 5 star hotel, you want to be really 5 star !Unfortunatly , i returned back very tired and they spoiled my week end at rome !

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room ! and to have all windows black out curtins !
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank avgerini g
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is a good hotel...not perfect but Good. We stayed for 4 nights last week in a 'superior' (basic level) room which was large and the bed was FABULOUS! (I mean REALLY comfy - maybe even better than my own at home and I *adore* my bed!). The bathroom was also large and well equipped so it made getting 'up & going' in the morning easy and pleasant.
The breakfast was average to good - plenty of fresh fruit and cakes/pastries as well as the usual continental meats/cheese selection. However, they often would run out of the popular selections (bacon, sausage, cooked mushrooms and scrambled eggs) and they were tardy in refreshing them. I saw someone get 'peeved' at that issue every morning we were there! (One man got really quite irate about the lack of hot food availability.)

All the staff of the hotel appear efficient and professional. The Hotel door and reception staff are also friendly with it (not so in the breakfast room).

There were a few niggles along the way.
For example, the internet (wifi) is not free. I think it was about £5 a day, which is excessive if all you want to do is send a picture email a couple of times during your 4 night stay! There *is* a free to access 'internet ready' PC in the foyer but it was broken when I tried and the receptionist was having to contact a technician. I really do think that a Hotel that markets itself as 'luxury' really should come into the 21st century and offer blanket wifi access - even if they limit it to a certain data or time cap each day.

There were a couple of VERY minor issues with the bathroom - such as the Bath did not drain away quickly (& filled up when showering) - even though the 'plug' was fully open (& even removed it completely at one point in trying to increase the drainage).
The 'lever' to open & close the plug in the sink did not function at all but i could not be bothered to report it because I only wanted that facility once anyway.
The replenishing of towels and toiletries etc was a little sporadic! LOL - some days we had all towels replaced - other days, we were given fewer towels. They replaced a barely used soap daily and placed it next to the sign that said they were a 'green hotel' mindful of wasting resources...
We had a disappearing/reappearing 'napkin' situation next to the "foot bath" (Bidet) - LOL - no idea why that was!?

In the bedroom we also had a disappearing/reappearing pen and notepad. The day I actually WOULD have used it, was one of the days there was no pen left in the room.

The sound proofing to the rooms that they advertise is not as good as it could be - but then, the one night we needed it (party in a room nearby at 2am) - I think the noisy room occupants were more to blame than the Hotel...sound proofing can only do so much!

On 'check out' they tried to charge us for a mini bar purchase that had not been made (I NEVER use a Hotel Mini bar! ...EVER. I can be pretty stupid at times...but not THAT stupid)! It was only a 6Euro charge, but even 6Euros is too much to be charged when you haven't spent any money! When I said 'No, we did not use the mini bar' - the receptionist asked (politely) if we were sure...no water or similar? ...but did not quibble when I confirmed no purchase whatsoever. Even so, it is not a pleasant thing to have to 'defend' yourself from an unfair charge. I would rather not have been mis-charged in the first place! Indeed next time I saty at a Hotel with a mini bar I may ask them to empty it in advance of my arrival just to avoid the potential for this in future, it really is irritating.
(I did use the fridge for my own water - bought in bar around the corner at a third of the cost - so perhaps it was a charge levied by a confused 'weighting' system in the shelves?? Who knows, but it was not made clear to us).

So - all in all, a pleasant stay in a good hotel in a very convenient location. I would consider it again and may also recommend it to others but I may check out the wifi and mini bar situation at other similar hotels before my return trip to Rome later in the year!

Room Tip: Room 101 was fine (Orwell was wrong apparently!)
1 Thank HilsEngland
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your review and the time spent in writing it.

We would like to thank again for your remarks and we already reported to the various department managers your comments, that helps in maintaining the high standards of the Hotel.

With reference to the minibar, it happens sometimes that by mistake some items are charged to the room bill and that is one of the reasons we print a folio upon check out and guests are invited to review the charges.

Thank you very much again for your review, we are looking forward to having you as a guest once again in the future.

Gstaad, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

It's the second time I stayed at the Splendide Royal and again I was not disappointed. The staff is very helpful and friendly and the quality of service is five star. The rooms are spacious. Mirabelle Restaurant offers good food, an elegant setting and a beautiful view of Rome. I will return again to this beautiful hotel.

2 Thank BM3780Gstaad
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your fantastic review and for coming back to the Splendide Royal once again.

We are really glad that you call us your home away from home in the Eternal City and we are looking forward to welcoming you in the very near future!

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

this is the second time I have stayed in this hotel, and having stayed in other hotels in Rome I would seek this hotel every time for leisure and business.

it's well located, spacious rooms by Rome standards, service quality on a personal basis, and instantly relaxes you away from the noise and chaos of Rome, but yet you are just a few mins from the Spanish steps and 10mins from the fountain

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Richiev2009
Guest relations S, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and the kind words. It is always a pleasure to read such incredible reviews and it is a reward for all the effort and love that the entire staff of the hotel puts in their job.

Thank you again and we are looking forward to welcoming you to the Splendide Royal for the third time in the near future.