“very nice hotel, but exorbitant food prices”

Hotel Splendide Royal
Ranked #60 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The hotel is beautiful, I really liked the common spaces on the main floor. The hotel rooms were nice as well. Good sized rooms. However, it was far more expensive than New York. We went for lunch on the terrace. We ordered four drinks (spritz), and two plates of prosciutto and cheese. Prosciutto and cheese were fantastic, and portions were generous. But, the four drinks and two plates cost 175 euros! each plate was at 30 euros. The view was nice, but a little to the side, so hard to see the most interesting parts of Rome. The lunch was more expensive than the room!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Anna P
Guest relations S, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your review. We appreciate that you took time to share with others that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Mirabelle has a private page on tripadvisor so it might have been helpful that they could read your remarks directly but we appreciate that over all you enjoyed the hotel and the Eternal City.

We are looking forwar to welcoming your again to the Splendide Royal in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Splendide Royal

Reviewed August 31, 2012

I chose this hotel as I really like luxury hotels, as I feel good surroundings and attentive service really make a trip. I have always wanted to go to Rome, so when travelling with a friend here this year for the first time we wanted to pick a really nice hotel. This hotel looked good in terms of the pictures of the rooms we saw online, and in terms of the city centre location, and was within our price range (albeit at the higher end of the range!). Plus it offered twin double beds, something that seemed hard to find in many other nice hotels, which is unusual really as surely it’s common for two platonic friends of the same sex to go on sight seeing holidays together, and obviously you don't want to share a bed in these circumstances.

The location of the hotel was in a quieter area, near the Villa Borghese Gardens, but only approx a 10-15min walk from the Spanish Steps, and 2 mins from the Via Veneto (further out from some things but Rome is rather big!). The area feels very safe and is peaceful. We often go for a slightly quieter area, but still within the city centre, as a trade off for getting a luxury hotel more affordably, than if it was bang in the centre of the tourist hotspots. Not sure I would go for this area again, I would maybe go a little more centrally, as we often had quite a way to get back to the hotel to change etc, when we out and about, so we often stayed out all day, but as I said taxis weren’t that expensive and the walk isn’t exactly excessive to many things, and Rome is a lovely place to walk around in any case. I certainly had no problem with location on my trip. A good tip to note is that there is a taxi rank not far at all from the hotel – taxis are much, much cheaper if you walk the 2mins to a rank rather than if you ask the hotel to order you one we found (and you get one quicker walking the 2mins and getting straight in one than waiting for the hotel to get you one – I explain later in this review why I feel it important to point this out). I found taxis to be reasonably priced overall, but do allow enough time to get to where you are going, as traffic can be gridlocked at certain times in Rome.

The decor of the hotel was very opulent and grand overall, and although small (the hotel itself isn’t large small), the hotel lobby and check in area was grand. Staff were all very nice and courteous, opening doors for us when we arrived and taking our luggage to our room etc; what I expected of 5* service and luxury. The room was large for many European city hotels I have visited, we had twin beds and they were quite a distance apart, which you don’t always get (sometimes they are almost on top of one another). Rooms are similarly decorated to the rest of the hotel, in an old, more traditional, grand style (lots of red, blue and yellow and marble). The bathroom was also the largest I have had, with double sinks, a bath, separate shower and toilet. Again all in marble, grand style. Everything was very clean. Air conditioning worked very well, and kept the room very cool, when outside was very hot (something that is important to me). All in all I slept very well, and we were very comfortable and happy. Only criticism of the room, was that there was sometimes a sound of water running, I assume perhaps from the room upstairs or from pipes within the walls.

My only slight gripe with the hotel was with a slight blip in 5* customer service on our first full day. We asked the night before, when we arrived how long it would take the hotel to get us a taxi the next morning and for us then to get to the Vatican, where we had a trip booked for 9.30am. They told us 2-5mins to get a taxi to come to the hotel, and 10-15mins to the Vatican at this time. So they suggested we come down about 9.05am. We always like to get to places well in time so we got down the next morning earlier than suggested at 8.40am. We went straight to the reception and asked them to get us a taxi, and the receptionist then asked the doormen to arrange this – at this point we hadn’t explored and did not know there was a rank so close, and the hotel did not tell us. We were told a taxi would be with us in 5mins. About 10mins later one had not arrived, so we enquired of the receptionist where it was. She assured us it would be just another 5mins, and as it was only 8.55am at this time we were quite calm, as we thought it would be quick to get there as the hotel had told us the night before. Another 10mins went by and it was 9.05am and still no taxi, we then noticed one was driving up and got up to go out to the taxi, but a couple passed us just coming out the elevator and the doormen called to them that their taxi had arrived, we protested that we had ordered a taxi 25mins ago and needed one urgently to make our trip, but we were told this was not our taxi by the doormen and ours would be there very shortly. By this time we were stood outside with the doormen fairly paniced. When it got to 9.15am, we were beside ourselves as we thought we would be cutting it fine to make our trip (the hotel had told us it would take 10-15mins). Staff, however, seemed fairly calm and not at all rushed, but did then make another call regarding the taxi and started trying to flag taxis down as myself and my friend became more paniced. A taxi did not arrive until 9.25am, so I rang the tour guide, who’s number we had and she said they could wait for us for 5mins only or the tour would miss it’s slot. Thinking it was only 10-15mins away we believed we would be fine, we were wrong! Traffic this early is horrendous, complete gridlock standstill at many areas, subsequently the taxi actually took 25mins to reach the Vatican. Surely the hotel would know what traffic is like in Rome at this time! The taxi driver informed us, the traffic was normal for the time of day. We therefore missed our trip to the Vatican, and had to pay to book another trip for the last day before we left, causing much upset and stress on our first morning and leaving us around £40 each out of pocket, plus the taxi cost to a place we now had no reason to be.

When we got back to the hotel that night (we wanted to spend the day out, as we were upset and had paid for a taxi over to the Vatican so explored the general area rather than waste the fare) we explained what had happened, how we had missed our trip because they had taken so long to get us a taxi, gave a taxi that did turn up to someone else and also gave us inaccurate info about the time to get through Rome city centre traffic early on a morning. They apologised but did not explain why the other taxi had been given away, why it took so long to get one or why staff did not appear to know how long it took to get to major tourist attractions at peak times. I persisted, saying we appreciated the apology but didn’t want to leave it there, as we were very upset, and it had caused us stress and cost us money. After I had spoken to the Manager, I was told they would see what they could do to book us a tour of another attraction in Rome, and they would let us know the next morning what they had arranged. We then went out to get something to eat, and upon our return around 11.30pm found a bottle of Prosecco in our hotel room with a card apologising for the mistake, and saying that they had been unable to book us an alternative trip (no reason why) but to please accept the bottle of Prosecco by way of an apology. The bottle of Prosecco cost much less than the rearranged trips of the Vatican we had to book ourselves, but we appreciate that this was an effort to make amends, albeit only when I persisted a mere apology from the receptionist wasn’t enough. I wouldn’t hold this against the hotel, as they did try to make amends, but feel it deserved a mention, as I feel perhaps our request for a taxi wasn’t treated as a priority as we are two females, in our late twenties but who look fairly young, and sometimes I think that this counts against us and perhaps makes us seem an easy touch. Plus I think that it is very important to feel you can trust the advice of the hotel on how long it will take to get somewhere, as we very often fit a lot of trips in to our holidays so need to be aware of this. Moral of the story, use the taxi rank nearby, we did for all other early morning trips and had no other probs, plus the taxis were always cheaper from the rank. Not sure how it was so hard to get a taxi when there was a rank so close in any case…..

Also, feel I should point out to animal lovers that the hotel restaurant serves foie gras, and as a result we would not eat there or visit the bar (found out after had booked the restaurant served it). I think its high time this outdated barbaric, food practice is banned, its so bitterly cruel. Restaurants should not serve it!

All in all, I would recommend this hotel, the décor is lovely, and quite impressive. The rooms are perfect - spacious, clean, well appointed, well decorated and good value. Certainly the best bathroom I have had as well! Location is good, we were happy, but you can get more central, for perhaps a similar price if you look (though not sure about 5*). I feel the hotel is 5*, but perhaps that we were unlucky with our taxi escapade, staff were good other than that, and did try to make it up to us. We had a great time in Rome staying at this hotel, and hope to return to Rome soon, I threw a coin in the Trevi Fountain so sure this is guaranteed ;-) I have gone for 4 stars not 5, due to the taxi really (and maybe the foie gras), and the fact the rooms were quite expensive, so you expect perfection with staff knowledge/customer service (hence only 3 for service).

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Guest relations S, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your comment on your stay at the Splendide Royal. We are glad to hear that overall your stay was good and we are sorry about the inconvenience caused by the taxi delay. Unfortunately Rome is a very trafficated city and a route that would take 10 minutes on a normal day can be up to 45 if something unexpected happens.

We usually try to be as much informative as we can with our guest and we apologize once again if you felt we have not been enough with you as it is not the standard and the name that the Splendide Royal lives on.

Thank you again for your time and for being a guest of ours in the Eternal City. We are looking forward to having you stay again with us in the near future.

Guest relations deparment

Reviewed August 24, 2012

This hotel is a SLH.com (Small Luxury Hotels) member and I chose this hotel over other 5-star hotels in Rome because I thought I could get a complimentary room upgrade at check-in. I was disappointed during check-in when the Front Desk told me that the higher category rooms were all full and I couldn't get an upgrade. I was suspicious about this (it's the off-peak season in Rome after all) but did not insist on the upgrade during check-in. However, I visited the hotel reservations webpage later and discovered that guests could still book a higher category room online for the duration of my stay. When I asked the Front Office about this the following day, they told me that the webpage still listed the higher category room for sale though they were full but they would upgrade the guest when they arrive. What an explanation to give in denying me a SLH complimentary upgrade?!! But I guess the staff realised that I had called their bluff and offered to upgrade me to a "suite". When I returned to the hotel later in the day, I found out that the "suite" was only slightly larger than my present room. This "suite" was next to my previous room. The sitting area could only hold 2 armchairs, a small table, a writing table and TV unit. Since my bags had already been moved, I left the matter at that. It would be worth thinking twice about paying extra money for the "suites" at this hotel. You could probably find a better room elsewhere in Rome for the same price. Also, I couldn't find a spare power socket to charge my phone and laptop, so I had to move the bedside table aside, unplug the lamp, and use the lamp's socket. I would have rated the hotel 2/5 but am giving it 3/5 because 2 things went well at the hotel. Firstly, the breakfast was wonderful! The fruit selection was good and fresh; and the quality of the cold cuts were high. The scenic view from the restaurant set a nice ambience for breakfast. Secondly, the toiletries were from Etro - good quality. It's unlikely I would return to this hotel just for the breakfast and toiletries. Some friends I met on the cruise told me that there are better options for the same price.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TropicalKwek

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your comment. We regret to inform that the complimentary room upgrade is not guaranteed in general for any hotel unless the hotel signs an agreement and decides to guarantee it for certain reservations. Usually upgrades are upon availabilty and at discretion of the hotel management, specially during the high season. The fact that the hotel is a small property doesn't unfortunately help on this matter.

We also regret to realize that you think that something that is not guaranteed can be called a bluff because if you read our reviews in general i would say we have a name for being kind with our guests and we do not try to bluff anybody.

We are sorry to hear that you did not like our suites, the rooms are actually almost three times larger than a superior room and they have a jacuzzi bath, and two separate rooms that are not featured in the superior room, hence the difference of price and the upgrade.

Being said so we really thank you for staying with us and for your comment on our hotel and we are looking forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Hotel Splendid
Via Porta Pinciana, Rome

For a truly splendid stay in Rome there really is only one hotel.
The furnishings and fixtures in the room are lavish and the bedding gives you a beautiful night's sleep. The bathrooms in the Splendid are luxurious and the products first class.

The hotel is situated across from the Villa Borghese gardens and is a pleasant walk down the hill to the Spanish Steps, Trevi  Fountain and the Forum. It is also close to the  Via Veneto.

Breakfasts each morning are sumptuous with hot and cold selections and even champagne if you choose to toast the great view from the restaurant.

The Hotel Splendid lives up to its name.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for the time spent in writing this wonderful review. This kind of feedback from you guest really gives back to us for all the hard work that we put into our job everyday.

Thank you so much and we are looking forward to welcoming you again to the Splendide Royal in the future.

Guest relations deparment

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for two night mostly because it was in center of the city and because we wanted a good place to return after a whole day on foot. Thankfully it was a great choice and we were very happy.

Friendly staff clean room good breakfast and very quiet. A definite 5 star t hotel worth staying. I would recommend it to anyone visting Rome for the first time as it close to Termini and walking distance from all the major sites. Breakfast is server on the 6th floor and you have a breathtaking view of Rome. If you have time hop for a drink on the 7th and enjoy Rome on top by night. Although i would not recommend the restaurant mostly due to their prices.

If you have any question dont hesitate to ask the reception they will be more than happy to help you out and guide you . we asked the concierge to book us a restaurant and their choice was excellent

The only negative was that fact that our room was a bit small and the jacuzzi had a problem and as a result we had water running all over the bathroom. But housekeeping was quick to have everything sorted for us

I would definitely recommend to stay

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor and if budget alllows it get a room with a view. You will definitely...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your comment and advise. We are sorry that you almost perfect stay was disturbed by an accident with the bath, but we would like to thank you so much for putting your effort in expressing how good was your stay with us.

Thank you very much again for your comment.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

One of the best hotels where we have ever stayed. Beautiful property, great location, fine, fine staff.

When looking for a Rome hotel, we found this one, were able to get a weekend 'package' which was outstanding. We would definitely stay here again, as well as check out the other properties owned by Roberto Naldi, all of which are luxury hotels.

Room and bath very spacious with all of the amenities. We also opted for the breakfast buffet add-on, which was excellent value, and a fabulous view from that dining room. We did NOT eat at the Splendide's award winning Mirabelle Restaurant, which,from all reports, is excellent as well. We particularly liked the traditional decor, especially fitting to a city like Rome.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ramcclain

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your nice comment! We are always glad to hear that trip advisor helps people to reach us and that we actually are up to the name that we built online.

Looking forward to welcoming you back when you want to visit again the Eternal City, we will be here.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We've stayed here during oyr honeymoon during Xmas 2007. Had a junior suite with loads of space and all amenities you could ask for. The breakfast is magnificent at the rooftop with views of Rome; what a way to start your day. The hotel doesn't have massive common areas but is greatly decorated and most of staff are kind and helpful. The rooftop restaurant is one of the best I've ever eaten though quite pricey,
The second time we went in January 2011, we had a standard room and the service and whole experience was a little owrse than the first time but still excellent.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Guest relations S, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your stay at the Splendide Royal and your review. We are sorry to understand that you didn't enjoy it as the first one but we are glad that you still enjoyed it. Reviews like yours are very helpful to keep providing the best service ever, thank you again!