Hotel Splendide Royal
Hotel Colosseum(Rome)
$181
$155
  • Breakfast included
Hotel des Artistes(Rome)(Great Value!)
$148
$381
Autograph
  • Pool
1,484 results
All reviewsmirabelle restaurantvia venetoborghese gardensspanish stepsbeautiful hoteljunior suitebreakfast roomharry's bartop floorsister hotelmarble bathroomfive star hotelhighly recommend this hotelst peterstrevi fountainquiet locationaround the corner
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This hotel is a SLH.com (Small Luxury Hotels) member and I chose this hotel over other 5-star hotels in Rome because I thought I could get a complimentary room upgrade at check-in. I was disappointed during check-in when the Front Desk told me that the higher category rooms were all full and I couldn't get an upgrade. I was suspicious about this (it's the off-peak season in Rome after all) but did not insist on the upgrade during check-in. However, I visited the hotel reservations webpage later and discovered that guests could still book a higher category room online for the duration of my stay. When I asked the Front Office about this the following day, they told me that the webpage still listed the higher category room for sale though they were full but they would upgrade the guest when they arrive. What an explanation to give in denying me a SLH complimentary upgrade?!! But I guess the staff realised that I had called their bluff and offered to upgrade me to a "suite". When I returned to the hotel later in the day, I found out that the "suite" was only slightly larger than my present room. This "suite" was next to my previous room. The sitting area could only hold 2 armchairs, a small table, a writing table and TV unit. Since my bags had already been moved, I left the matter at that. It would be worth thinking twice about paying extra money for the "suites" at this hotel. You could probably find a better room elsewhere in Rome for the same price. Also, I couldn't find a spare power socket to charge my phone and laptop, so I had to move the bedside table aside, unplug the lamp, and use the lamp's socket. I would have rated the hotel 2/5 but am giving it 3/5 because 2 things went well at the hotel. Firstly, the breakfast was wonderful! The fruit selection was good and fresh; and the quality of the cold cuts were high. The scenic view from the restaurant set a nice ambience for breakfast. Secondly, the toiletries were from Etro - good quality. It's unlikely I would return to this hotel just for the breakfast and toiletries. Some friends I met on the cruise told me that there are better options for the same price.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TropicalKwek
Guest relations S, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your comment. We regret to inform that the complimentary room upgrade is not guaranteed in general for any hotel unless the hotel signs an agreement and decides to guarantee it for certain reservations. Usually upgrades are upon availabilty and at discretion of the hotel management, specially during the high season. The fact that the hotel is a small property doesn't unfortunately help on this matter.

We also regret to realize that you think that something that is not guaranteed can be called a bluff because if you read our reviews in general i would say we have a name for being kind with our guests and we do not try to bluff anybody.

We are sorry to hear that you did not like our suites, the rooms are actually almost three times larger than a superior room and they have a jacuzzi bath, and two separate rooms that are not featured in the superior room, hence the difference of price and the upgrade.

Being said so we really thank you for staying with us and for your comment on our hotel and we are looking forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Hotel Splendid
Via Porta Pinciana, Rome

For a truly splendid stay in Rome there really is only one hotel.
The furnishings and fixtures in the room are lavish and the bedding gives you a beautiful night's sleep. The bathrooms in the Splendid are luxurious and the products first class.

The hotel is situated across from the Villa Borghese gardens and is a pleasant walk down the hill to the Spanish Steps, Trevi  Fountain and the Forum. It is also close to the  Via Veneto.

Breakfasts each morning are sumptuous with hot and cold selections and even champagne if you choose to toast the great view from the restaurant.

The Hotel Splendid lives up to its name.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for the time spent in writing this wonderful review. This kind of feedback from you guest really gives back to us for all the hard work that we put into our job everyday.

Thank you so much and we are looking forward to welcoming you again to the Splendide Royal in the future.

Guest relations deparment

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for two night mostly because it was in center of the city and because we wanted a good place to return after a whole day on foot. Thankfully it was a great choice and we were very happy.

Friendly staff clean room good breakfast and very quiet. A definite 5 star t hotel worth staying. I would recommend it to anyone visting Rome for the first time as it close to Termini and walking distance from all the major sites. Breakfast is server on the 6th floor and you have a breathtaking view of Rome. If you have time hop for a drink on the 7th and enjoy Rome on top by night. Although i would not recommend the restaurant mostly due to their prices.

If you have any question dont hesitate to ask the reception they will be more than happy to help you out and guide you . we asked the concierge to book us a restaurant and their choice was excellent

The only negative was that fact that our room was a bit small and the jacuzzi had a problem and as a result we had water running all over the bathroom. But housekeeping was quick to have everything sorted for us

I would definitely recommend to stay

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor and if budget alllows it get a room with a view. You will definitely not regret it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your comment and advise. We are sorry that you almost perfect stay was disturbed by an accident with the bath, but we would like to thank you so much for putting your effort in expressing how good was your stay with us.

Thank you very much again for your comment.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

One of the best hotels where we have ever stayed. Beautiful property, great location, fine, fine staff.

When looking for a Rome hotel, we found this one, were able to get a weekend 'package' which was outstanding. We would definitely stay here again, as well as check out the other properties owned by Roberto Naldi, all of which are luxury hotels.

Room and bath very spacious with all of the amenities. We also opted for the breakfast buffet add-on, which was excellent value, and a fabulous view from that dining room. We did NOT eat at the Splendide's award winning Mirabelle Restaurant, which,from all reports, is excellent as well. We particularly liked the traditional decor, especially fitting to a city like Rome.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ramcclain

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your nice comment! We are always glad to hear that trip advisor helps people to reach us and that we actually are up to the name that we built online.

Looking forward to welcoming you back when you want to visit again the Eternal City, we will be here.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We've stayed here during oyr honeymoon during Xmas 2007. Had a junior suite with loads of space and all amenities you could ask for. The breakfast is magnificent at the rooftop with views of Rome; what a way to start your day. The hotel doesn't have massive common areas but is greatly decorated and most of staff are kind and helpful. The rooftop restaurant is one of the best I've ever eaten though quite pricey,
The second time we went in January 2011, we had a standard room and the service and whole experience was a little owrse than the first time but still excellent.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Guest relations S, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Splendide Royal, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your stay at the Splendide Royal and your review. We are sorry to understand that you didn't enjoy it as the first one but we are glad that you still enjoyed it. Reviews like yours are very helpful to keep providing the best service ever, thank you again!