“Very nice hotel!”
Review of The Duke Hotel

The Duke Hotel
Ranked #150 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The room was very good! We got the junior suite! Very clean! The breakfast buffet with a lot of fresh fruits! The service with the minibus works perfect, always on time! The staff very helpful and always with a smile! The only thing which was not so gut, was the wi-fi function in the room! We had always to go down in the hall!
We would go again! We very enjoy to stay there!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anna S
There are newer reviews for The Duke Hotel

Reviewed March 23, 2013

A little hard to find coming from Fiumencino airport, we chose public transport. The room was exceptionally clean, I think they changed all the bedlinen every day.The room was large as was the bathroom.
We were right next to the lift which caused some noise but not heard with earplugs in.
The staff were very friendly & helpful. The minibus was great, getting us to a central point & back daily.
There is a really good restaurant down the road on the left hand side, Tale Quale Come L'Ortica, it served the best food & drinks we had in Rome, everything was so tasty. The menu is in Italian with no English translation, so we did have trouble understanding it, but the staff are more than helpful.
All in all a good place to stay away from the hustle & bustle of the city.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marie M
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Duke Hotel was booked by our corporate travel agency and I was really surprised by it's location. It is located in a quiet neighborhood opposite from Villa Borghese with some local shops in working distance. What really surprised me was the restaurant, food was more than delicious.
The restaurant serves also as the breakfast room which why I first made no use of it because it did not translate into a comftable place to eat but the food made up for it.
My only two negatives was the internet and the hot water, little of of in the morning hours. Otherwise I will always go back. Friendly Front office staff and not stuffy at all.

Room Tip: Downhill from Hotel across Plaza Euclid is a super place for a quick coffee and a bite to eat.
1  Thank Ralf G
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I booked the Duke because all of I sudden everybody wanted to be in Rome for the Pope, while I was trying to get there for business. Nothing special really, not sure how they got 4 stars. Very warm rooms, guests not allowed to change temperature - asked reception to make my room cooler, still feeling like a sauna when I got back to my room.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

The policy of the hotel is send us your money and stay at home. Due to bad weather I stuck at the airport and had to pay the whole price for that night anyway, I suppose they would have charged me even if I had died in plane accident. Receptionist is unpolite, acted like I was trying to cheat them, and told me that they don't care why I did not show up, he didn't even bother to show me the elevator, room number and way to the room, and not to mention wishing me pleasant stay. the moment I signed credit card I no longer existed for him. The same attitude I got from general manager so it is obviously the hotel policy: we want your money, not you. Above all, the room is small, furniture saw it's best days long ago, you have two rooms connected by door so forget about privacy and you share dirty balcony with other rooms.
Overall terrible experience.

8  Thank Mirzg
TheDukeHotel, Direttore generale at The Duke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

I really astonished to read your comments regarding your stay at The Duke Hotel.
Your reservation has been made by your company as part of a meeting held in our hotel with specific cancellation policies ( Cancellation made later than 10 days before arrival give the hotel the right to claim payment in full for the rooms ).
I understand that you had a lot of problems at the airport to reach Rome but you could advise us through a email or with a simple telephone call. If we did receive notice in due time we were able to resell the room ( who remain unsold) and eventually avoid to charge the penalty as per contract.

On the other and I cannot accept your way to treat the matter. You never talk to me but with my group coordinator. During the conversation you intimidate our staff declaring to place a bad feed back to tripadvisor if we did not avoid to charge the penalty. This is not acceptable at all.

I proud to say that our Hotel and our staff is really close by problems of any nature that our Guests may occur before, during and after every stay with us.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Good shuttle service to take you in and out of the city every 15 mins, only 10min drive.

Hotel was clean and well kept. Staff very friendly and good English.

Breakfast Buffett very good too. Continental and hot breakfast served.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank SBTRAVELER85
Reviewed March 5, 2013

The rooms are really smartly done in a traditional, British hotel style. We'd asked for interconnecting rooms and were told there were none by the agent, but in fact the manager found some and moved us in there on our second night, much appreciated. The rooms were nice though very limited on space. The breakfast buffet was very very average, all round. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evenings, so can't comment on that. The front desk staff were really excellent, very helpful, very friendly, attentive, multi-lingual. They recommended some great restaurants, booked them, got us cabs etc. The shuttle to the town is reliable and a short trip, so not being central didn't really matter. There is no gym, if BA holidays tell you there is, there isn't! The hotel makes a thing of having an arrangement with a nearby gym and spa but it turns out it is a 15 min taxi ride and E28 per person to go there! If you think you will hang out in the hotel a lot, then this is probably not the right one, but if you want a base in a nice quiet neighbourhood, it's good.

Room Tip: There are some interconnecting rooms
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family