“Small but nice rooms, great location, average breakfast, great view”
Review of Mecenate Palace

Mecenate Palace
Ranked #163 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Location: Great. Right next to Santa Maria Maggiore cathedral, walking distance to Colosseum, Forum, Spanish steps, Trevi fountain and more. Conveniently close to Roma Terminus train station - less than 10 minute walking with luggage. I would say a very nice location for exploring Rome by foot.

Room: I had a single room which was very compact, however it was clean and quiet.

Breakfast: There is a restaurant/bar on the top floor with an outside terrace, with a great view of the Santa Maria Maggiore cathedral. A nice place to have coffee in the morning. The breakfast (mine was included in the room price) consisted of cold cuts, rolls, not-so-fresh pastries, yoghurt, juices and coffee. Eggs could be ordered at an extra charge. In summary the breakfast was perhaps less impressive than I had expected - especially with respect to freshness of pastries.

Room Tip: I was not bothered by traffic even though room faced the street. Windows were double-glazed which wa...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Mecenate Palace

Reviewed October 15, 2012

we selected this hotel due to the roof top restaurant and were not dissappointed. We booked two twi rooms to take our elderly parents. There wasa a lift which was ideal for elderly parent. They booked us into two twin rooms which could be a suite with an exterior outer door for both rooms. The room cleanliness was fantastic althoough I found the beds a bit hard my mum was happy with that so each to their own. The breakfast was continental and any hot ithe ems had to be paid for as extras. We got an excellent deal by boooking direct with the hotel which including the first night dinner in the package. There was no restriction on what we ordred from the menu on that our first night. The food was delicious and the service was so good our parentss asked us to revisit the restaurant again whilst we were there. The chef popped in an out of the kitchen to whole trip with little tasers and kindly agreed to make a cake for my mum to celebrate her 70th birthday. The drinks weere a little costly but this is expected on a city break and no different to anywhere else. They did offer a two hour happy hor between 5-7pm when the drinks were cheaper. The hotel is located not far from Termini an has a beautiful roof top view of Rome attrcations. Its handy for the Metro and tourst bus stops as well as local bus routes. I have to say the staff here made the trip for us. They were all so friendly and helpful. They really made my elderly parents feel special and I have already recommended the hotel to a friend who is visiting Rome in a few weeks. I have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to others.

Room Tip: ask for suite if booking two rooms as your can section off end of corridors for even more privacy.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I will start by commending the cleaning staff. We checked out in the morning, stored our bags, visited the Colosseum (a very short walk), Forum etc, returned to the hotel, retrieved our bags, enjoyed the terrace and walked to Termini. Other than the extreme convenience, nothing too unusual except that while on the train I noticed a small white bag tied to my suitcase. I thought it was a receipt and went to toss it. Except that the bag contained my watch which I must have left in the room. I would not have missed it until I was back home in the US. I think this kind of honesty- without any fan fare on the part of the hotel - sets this place apart. So, stay for the location and the comfortable beds and everything else noted by other reviewers. But, such helpful and honest staff are the clinchers for me.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelwithpoodle
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This was our second stay – nine nights. We like to get out into the city during the day and evening, but don’t have much interest in late night activities. The Mecenate Palace location, near Termini, at the intersection of the A and B Metro lines, is perfect for us. We can go in any direction on the Metro without having to change trains, catch a bus, or easily connect to a local train to get out of town. Taking the Leonardo Express from the airport puts us just a few blocks from the hotel when we arrive – no cab needed. The neighborhood is mixed, busy with locals going about their business, and safe. There is a grocery store, plenty of tourist activity from the major Basilica (Maria Maggiore) across the street, a very active clothing vendor on the corner, several café’s (one right next door), a souvenir vendor, a good gelato shop (Orso Bianco) just a few doors down, and a bankomat around the corner. We were usually approached by a few people offering tours of various kinds as we headed toward Termini, but not in a pushy way. We passed the same three people sitting on the sidewalk with cans out for money, but never approached by them. They appear to be fixtures in the neighborhood and we saw the locals dropping in coins. One man has his cat with him, with a little bed for the cat (who was often sleeping in his lap) – he was friendly and we gave him money.

We have ordinary, non-foodie, restaurant preferences and tend to eat early so we can walk around after dinner. On Via Principe Amadeo (on the way to Termini) we found good food at Tomoko Tudini (#27) and Aquila Nera (#49/51/53) – tasty pizza, pasta, grilled meats – in a casual setting. The café on the corner was good, too, although the pizza there is nothing to write home about, and the gelato is much better at the Orso Bianco.

The hotel itself is very clean and comfortable – with the usual small beds that you can push together or apart. Our room was typically small, but with plenty of closet space, and three small drawers – good enough for us, since we travel with carry-on only. The bathroom (tub/shower, bidet, toilet, big mirror, shaving mirror, hair dryer, plenty of thick towels) was great, and the tub is big enough for soaking. The shower enclosure is not quite big enough to keep water off the bathroom floor, but we got a dry bathmat every day, so it was fine. Plenty of hot water. There is a small TV in the room, with some English stations, if you absolutely can’t go a day without television. The room is quiet at night, with room-darkening shades. Bring an alarm clock - there is no clock in the room. They provide nice slippers - good to slip into after a full day of walking!

The breakfast is a real plus – from 7-10 AM. They have a nice selection of croissants and sweet rolls, plain rolls and bread to toast, hot hard boiled eggs, sliced ham and cheese, an assortment of canned fruit, at least one kind of whole, fresh fruit, several kinds of cold cereal, yogurt in individual cartons, two kinds of fruit juice (cool, not cold), and they bring you coffee or tea at your table. Breakfast is on a nice, enclosed, rooftop patio. They have a selection of newspapers, too. On the way out, there is a big bowl of fresh apples to take with you.

The staff at the Mecenate Palace are very professional, friendly, and well-informed. They warned us about Metro/bus strike the next day, so that we wouldn't waste a day of a Roma Pass, and could plan accordingly. You can buy a Roma Pass (cash only) at the front desk. The staff are great at answering questions and giving advice.

The hotel is an easy walk from the National Museum of Roma Massimo al Terme and Baths of Diocletion (right near Termini), a fifteen minute walk from the Colosseum (St. Peter in Chains is on the way), and, of course, right across the street from the fabulous Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore. Santa Prassede (wonderful mosaics) is just around the corner. We are Catholic and enjoyed daily Mass on several mornings in one of the small chapels at Maria Maggiore.

We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travveller95
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Conveniently located near Termini train station and blue and red line metro stations, but feels far enough away to feel like a safe and beautiful neighborhood. Put on some comfortable shoes and you can walk in one direction to the Forum and Collosseum, and a bit a further walk in another direction to Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, the Pantheon, and Piazza Navona. Many simple trattorias in the neighborhood for a simple, low-cost, great Italian meal or gelatto.

Rooms in Rome are going to be small by American standards. But at the same time I found this room elegant, with high ceilings and large windows, and ornate moldings. There's a roof-top terrace where breakfast is served overlooking - right across the street - the Piazza Santa Maria Maggiore. It is also open for evening cocktails until 11:00 p.m.

The room was impecabbly well-maintained. I didn't find the front desk particularly friendly, but they did provide me the information that I needed about train schedules, maps, and other needs. My room was not ready when I arrived at 9:00 a.m. - which unfortunately can happen if the hotel is full. Breakfast was included in my rate; wi-fi was 5 euros per day.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2012

After reading all the reviews regarding this hotel, I thought it would be the perfect place to end our two weeks in Italy. It was anything but that. The location is good if you are going to use the metro station, otherwise the location was less than desirable. The staff was unfriendly, the rooms not as we had requested ( we had requested two doubles and one twin, we got three doubles). The WiFi was expensive (5 euros a day per device) and half the time it didn't work. The "American" breakfast was a joke...literally. Hot dogs and some sliced meats with cheese that they have never seen in Italy. We were told that we had coupons for the gelato daily in fact it was one per person for the entire stay....and there were 6 of us for 4 nights. Rooms were old, carpeting soiled, and two of our three rooms had leaks in the bathrooms. The terrace had a good view but the food there was mediocre at best. There are so many places in Rome that are comparable in price and so much more worth it. I cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank suzregan
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We just spent 5 nights here. It is very convenient, beds are really comfortable, bathrooms are excellent and it is conveniently located. Best of all it is perfectly quiet at night and the room is really dark. Front desk is efficient and the breakfast is good.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple