“Old world charm, well renovated”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mecenate Palace

Mecenate Palace
Ranked #166 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
Atlanta, Georgia
“Old world charm, well renovated”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Conveniently located near Termini train station and blue and red line metro stations, but feels far enough away to feel like a safe and beautiful neighborhood. Put on some comfortable shoes and you can walk in one direction to the Forum and Collosseum, and a bit a further walk in another direction to Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, the Pantheon, and Piazza Navona. Many simple trattorias in the neighborhood for a simple, low-cost, great Italian meal or gelatto.

Rooms in Rome are going to be small by American standards. But at the same time I found this room elegant, with high ceilings and large windows, and ornate moldings. There's a roof-top terrace where breakfast is served overlooking - right across the street - the Piazza Santa Maria Maggiore. It is also open for evening cocktails until 11:00 p.m.

The room was impecabbly well-maintained. I didn't find the front desk particularly friendly, but they did provide me the information that I needed about train schedules, maps, and other needs. My room was not ready when I arrived at 9:00 a.m. - which unfortunately can happen if the hotel is full. Breakfast was included in my rate; wi-fi was 5 euros per day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
portland oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

After reading all the reviews regarding this hotel, I thought it would be the perfect place to end our two weeks in Italy. It was anything but that. The location is good if you are going to use the metro station, otherwise the location was less than desirable. The staff was unfriendly, the rooms not as we had requested ( we had requested two doubles and one twin, we got three doubles). The WiFi was expensive (5 euros a day per device) and half the time it didn't work. The "American" breakfast was a joke...literally. Hot dogs and some sliced meats with cheese that they have never seen in Italy. We were told that we had coupons for the gelato daily in fact it was one per person for the entire stay....and there were 6 of us for 4 nights. Rooms were old, carpeting soiled, and two of our three rooms had leaks in the bathrooms. The terrace had a good view but the food there was mediocre at best. There are so many places in Rome that are comparable in price and so much more worth it. I cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank suzregan
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

We just spent 5 nights here. It is very convenient, beds are really comfortable, bathrooms are excellent and it is conveniently located. Best of all it is perfectly quiet at night and the room is really dark. Front desk is efficient and the breakfast is good.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Denise O
Saco, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

After a thirty hour trip to Rome, what a welcoming treat it was to arrive at the Mecenate Palace . The staff was very corteous and helpful. The accomodations for our party of three was perfect...plenty of room, amenites, and meticulously clean. The location was exceptional..quiet yet close to all sorts of different transportation. It was so wonderful to return from the hustle and bustle of Rome to our tranquil accomodations at the Mecenate Palace. Very enjoyable stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
West Yorkshire,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

We last visited Rome in 2009 so had no hesitation in rebooking the same hotel, the Mecante Palace, despite looking at Trip Advisor comments regarding a ‘lack of customer service’. These left us puzzled as we never had a problem with the hotel. We booked a seven night stay and as such had the free room upgrade from a standard to a superior double. As it happened we were allocated the same room ~ #523 on the top floor, slap bang under the terrace, which meant that on every single morning we were woken at 5:30am as staff rearranged the furniture by dragging cast iron tables across a tiled floor. This problem has been raised by other contributors.
The room itself was fine and it offered a good view of the basilica and hours of endless amusement watching pedestrians dice with death as they crossed the road. The free Wi-Fi was a bonus.
The housekeeping was a touch slack, and when we left there were three empty shower gel containers still in the bathroom. Ah yes, the shower.
The shower is an over-bath, wall mounted, fixed head style of unit. The spray cannot be altered. It has a problem in that the bath is very VERY narrow. I am of a very slim build and I had to stand ‘pigeon toed’ in order to maintain my balance. In doing this I kept catching my toes on the bath plug and stopping the water getting out. That had to be removed. Having completed the shower and stepping out there was a strong cold breeze through the bathroom. This was caused by the extractor fan sucking the air from the bathroom which was in turn replaced by air coming in under the door. It transpires the fan cannot be switched off.
I would suggest that larger persons will struggle with the width of the tub – especially as the taps are side mounted.
Breakfast was a disappointment for me. It appears the hotel has set themselves particularly low standards and failed to meet them. A matter of taste?
Three types of fresh fruit – never a change. Kiwi, apples and plums.
Cereals, Processed meats, processed cheese, a small amount of fresh cheese, yoghurts, and tinned fruit etc. There was very little that was ‘fresh’. A strange array of bread, most of it was pre-sliced and so it was quite dry as sometimes it could be there for an hour or so. There were no ‘plain’ simple bread rolls. There was a mighty array of sweet pastries. Surprisingly there were never any plain / standard croissants ~ just iced ones. Cheap packet fruit juice.
Disappointing if you don’t like sweet stuff or cheese!
The coffee was served in a pot. On day one I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but on day two I gave up. Stale and luke warm. The word Cafetière springs to mind – silly me thinking that the Italians were proud of their coffee! I changed to tea on day 3 but this was a jug of hot (not boiled) water and a choice of tea bags from a table top container.
The staff were overly keen to remove plates and crockery whilst you were eating.
Not exactly 4* fayre!
The Punchline:
We had pre-booked Vatican Museum tickets for an early Friday visit so didn’t want a late night. When we got back to the hotel at 8:30pm on Thursday we found out there was a private function in the terrace bar. When we got into the room it was unbearable. The serving bar and the ‘boom box’ on the terrace were right above our room. It was so loud that a glass of water placed on the desk moved with the vibration! I rang reception and was told it would be 11:00pm when the party finished but they would ask them to turn down the noise.
9:30 The noise was now so loud that conversation was impossible so I went to reception. The lift was out of order as there were 20+ party goers waiting to use it.
Arriving at reception I pointed out the problem and at this point the ‘selective not understand’ attitude kicked in. I was told to complain to the manager at 8:00am the next morning. Back upstairs – no lift ….. still in use by the party goers. Having got to the 5th floor I thought I might as well pop into the party and ask for the noise to be turned down. I was told quite categorically – by the hotel staff - that it was a private party and that they had paid to use the hotel to 11:00pm and they could do what they wanted. When I asked the hotel staff if this was at the expense of the paying guests ……… sorry I don’t understand! I asked them to call the manager and explain the problem. I was told he would be in at 9:0am in the morning.
10:20pm: We had to leave the room as the noise was getting louder and louder. In fact we had to leave the hotel as the downstairs bar was closed and the lobby was full of party goers. The hotel has now effectively forced a middle aged couple to walk the streets until 11:00pm. We actually found that you could still hear the music a full block away.
When we returned to the hotel the noise was as bad. I complained to reception and was offered a pair of scissors and told to go and cut the cables! We again went to the rooftop bar, where we told the Food and Beverage manager was hiding, and asked to speak to him. One male was thrust forward and when the problem was explained he said “not my problem” and pushed past us and left.
The party actually finished at 11:50pm.
To add insult to injury it transpired that the manager was actually at the party.
I felt we were insulted and lied to by the hotel staff who made no attempt whatsoever to resolve the problem. Their attitude was at best contemptuous, flippant, and dismissive. An earlier contributor said “The customer is always wrong”, which just about sums it up.
The following day after making a complaint to the deputy manager (who informed me that the manager might be in by 11:00am but he kept no set hours) compensation was agreed. We had 30% knocked off a meal in the restaurant and a free drink in the bar. A good night’s sleep and an apology would have been better.
Would I recommend this hotel? This is a hotel with 4* prices, 3* standards run by 2* staff who have a 1* attitude – so no …. In honesty I could not.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms noisy as they are under the terrace bar but they will all be as bad if there is a pr...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ExMariner4122
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was looking for a hotel that was near the metro station. Termini main station is about 5 mins walk, where you can take the blue line (to Colosseum- though we walked it), and the red line to Vatican. You could also take a bus from this station to go near to the Pantheon etc. There was also another station 5 mins walk from this hotel called Vittorio Emanuele, and this was handy as it was just the red line, and so not as busy as Termini station. The hotel itself is rather small, but we weren't going to be spending a lot of time there so it was fine. Our room was small but clean and comfortable. I was surprised how big the bathroom was compared to how small the room was! The kettle did look a bit unappealing so never used it. The tv only had 1 english channel- but again,not needed as we were out and about. There's lots of little roads and restaurants and ofcourse the massive church next door, so we spent our evenings exploring. The breakfast was ok, but it never changed, so got a bit boring after a few days. Also had to pay extra for bacon and egg, which should have been part of the breakfast served. The staff were polite and helpful. The safe was really handy, and no charge to use. We were in Rome for 5 days, and overall I am happy we stayed here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

My fiancé and I were first in Venice, then on to Florence and we ended in Rome. The hotel room was the most spacious we had seen in Italy with a good size bedroom area and a very large bathroom. The hotel roof bar was great with amazing views and the bartender/waiter Fabio was great. He was more than accommodative and we had a great time with him. The restaurant which was also on the roof was amazing. The head chef Francesco was extremely personable and very helpful as well. He personally made my fiancé a gluten free dish on our last night there which was amazing and my dish was unreal as well. Overall the hotel is in great location and Francesco and Fabio made our stay. Great people and a great experience.
-Mike & Kristine