“Disappointing”

Aldrovandi Villa Borghese
Ranked #62 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Given the TA ratings, was disappointed in this hotel. Not what we would expect from a four star hotel at this price. Room was small and dated and beds were hard. Grill and pool side drinks were overpriced - 100 USD for two drinks and two sandwiches is insane, even for Rome. The location was a bit out of the way, but they have a free courtesy shuttle to and from the Spanish steps every half an hour.

On the plus side, the pool was great and the staff were helpful and courteous. Breakfast was one of the better ones we had on our Italian vacation.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Scott O
AldrovandiVBorghese, General Manager at Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for your comment about your recent stay at the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese.

I have carefully read and taken into high consideration your remarks about the prices and the room assigned to you during your stay. For these remarks I would like to apologise and assure that all of our focus will be put on those points highlighted in order to definitely improve where and when possible.

On the other hand, I would like to thank you again for sharing your positive experience as well about the pleasant time you spent on the pool side and about the level of service delivered by our dedicated team.

I would be honored to have the pleasure to welcoming you again to the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese soon and possibly assist you directly on the accommodation assignment as well as with other kind requests you may have.

Ugo Ossani

Write a ReviewReviews (1,399)

Reviewed September 7, 2013

My wife and I spent four nights at the hotel in September. The standard of service by all the staff we encountered was excellent, from the concierge to the guys by the pool. The concierge desk pointed us to good restaurants close to the excellent shuttle service at the Spanish Steps. (We can recommend Osteria Margutta. We went there twice). When we arrived we wanted to change our room, which was accommodated with no fuss. The pool area is lovely and never got too busy. Very good breakfast in the Sala Verde. As and when we come back to Rome we will almost certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Vauled Guest

I would like to heartily thank you for your kind words and for praising and appreciating our team work. I will definitely share your words with the rest of Aldrovandi’s team as per our custom.

I am glad to apprehend that all of our dedication made your stay memorable to the point you wish to come back to the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese during your next trip to Rome, this is definitely the greatest reward for all of us.

Feel free to contact me directly on the occasion of your next reservation to the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, I will be glad to assist you again.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We have stayed at numerous hotels in Rome, but always gravitate back to the Aldrovandi. The service is better than at some other "Leading Hotels of the World," and the setting outside the Villa Borghese Gardens is quiet and yet accessible. The hotel pool is an oasis in the city. There are frequent shuttles to the Spanish Steps, only a five to ten-minute ride.

Room Tip: Rooms are elegant but small, unless you book a jr suite.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

It is with great pleasure that I come across your kind comment and I would like to sincerely thank you for your words of appreciation.

It is always a pleasure to read about our regular guests’ experience with us and about the fact that after different venues and locations they always prefer the unique atmosphere of the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese.

Feel free to contact me directly on the occasion of your next trip to Rome, I would gladly assist you with your accommodation assignment in order to possibly reserve a room closer to your expectations.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Booked the hotel off jetsetter and again I was more than pleased. It was a small resort in the middle of Rome with beautiful rooms and amenities. The rooms had everything you could need and we were upgraded when we got there. I don't believe there is a bad room. The gym was perfect for what we needed and made it easy to maintain a normal routine with all the eating!
We had lunch only at the hotel but it was delicious.
It's near a park too and they have a free bike rental you can use. Cabs were easy to get and though its not in the "center" it was nice to come home to luxury, quiet and a fantastic pool and staff.

Room Tip: Kids were there. But also great for adults. Breakfast is a must! Bring workout clothes
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
AldrovandiVBorghese, General Manager at Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear Guest

I am delighted to read your positive comment about your recent stay at the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, thank you for your kind words.

I am glad you appreciated the location of our hotel which actually offers the unique opportunity to feel the great advantage of being close to the most important landmarks in Rome as well as the most important shopping districts in Rome but at the same time offers a fabulous sensation of privacy and exclusive tranquillity to our guests.

I very much look forward to welcoming you again soon to the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, please feel free to contact me directly on the occasion of your next trip to Rome, I would be glad to assist you again.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed at the Aldrovandi Villa last week. My preference was for a hotel that was outside the busy areas of Rome. I enjoyed my stay very much. The hotel was quiet and very clean with all of the amenities of a high quality hotel. The pool area and garden was nice as well. If I visit Rome again, I will stay here again. The only downside is that the food is very expensive for simple meals like 28 euros for a burgher.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for your kind comment, it is always a great pleasure to learn about the positive experince our guests had staying with us.

Moreover I am delighted you wish to come back soon to the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese on the occasion of your next trip to Rome, please feel free to contact me directly on that occasion, I will be delighted to personally assist you with all the posssible requests you may have.

Again thank you for preferring the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, I look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Just returned from a four day trip to Rome staying at the Aldrovandia. The service was second to non. The hotel is fantastic, highly recomend staying here. Before we arrived I booked a travel guide for two days through the concierge. Guide met us at hotel and was excellent. The breakfast was fantastic. The room was very comfortable and the bathroom very luxurious. We had a street view but did not worry us as we were just having a sightseeing holiday and were out every day. We arranged transportation from airport and back with the concierge before we arrived and it was all done with quick responses and excellent communication. Staff very very friendly. Did not see any kids while we were here as previous reviewer and had no problem with noise from other rooms (we were so tired after sightseeing all day). When we returned to the hotel around 5.00pm after hard days sight seeing I went in the pool. Pool guys fantastic even though I was just having a quick swim, made up double sun bed for my husband and I, bottled water given, six towels and two bottle of water for a 15 minute swim ! Great service. Park just over the road but we did not get the time to visit. Hotel does complimentary bike hire which would be great to get out in the park and ride. We did not have dinner in the hotel as we took advantage of the complimentary shuttle serice to the Spanish Steps and ate out in the city.We will certainly be visiting this hotel again. Out in the greenery just a short ride to the attractions of Rome. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you are just visiting to sightsee any room will do to flop down after a hard day.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank JuneLes
AldrovandiVBorghese, General Manager at Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Guest

I would like to personally thank you for your kind comment about your positive experience at the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, I am delighted to apprehend you had a wonderful stay with us.

I am pleased you appreciated all the different aspects of your stay from our hotel and the comfort of your rooms as well as the high level of our service which definitely made the difference making your stay memorable. As for our custom I will share with pleasure your words with the rest of our team.

I look forward to welcoming you soon to the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese in the near future and I would be glad if you could consider myself at you disposal on the occasion of your next trip to Rome, I would be glad to assist you.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

You have to decide what is most important to you, when considering staying here. They have exceptional service, at every level: doorman, driver, concierge, pool wait staff to put out towels and water, wait staff at the pool, service staff at the restaurant and generous breakfast buffet. The pool area and grounds are excellent and the location is out of the core but a five minute cab ride from the Spanish steps, 10 euros, so not an issue at all.

The negative, which for us was a big one, was the ability and quality of sleep. The walls between rooms and to the hallway, are THIN. You can hear EVERYTHING going on in the next room: talking, laughing, clicking of light switches, opening and closing of the wardrobe....everything. We had young kids in the room next to us and at times it was unbearable. The front desk did ask the family in the room to ensure their kids were quiet but you can hear just normal talking. There are a lot of kids at this hotel so we could have moved rooms but who knows what else we would have heard through the walls....i decided hearing kids was the lesser of two evils as I was with my teenagers!

In addition, the beds are hard and you can feel the springs....did you ever wonder what happened to the bad university mattress that you slept on....well it is at the aldrovandi in rome! The beds have lovely sheets, the pillows are fine but this is nice dressing on an awful matress. We found most beds in Italy to be hard but only at this hotel could we actually feel the springs!!!

You should also know that while the rooms are well appointed, they are small; there is no room for a cot so they truly suit only two people. The bathrooms however are large and well done with nice towels, slippers and robes.

So, exceptional service vs. ability to sleep....you decide what is most important to you before booking.

Room Tip: Book your room and the one on each side, to avoid sounds between the paper thin walls.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank SusanABC
AldrovandiVBorghese, General Manager at Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for your comment regarding your stay at the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese. I am extremely grateful for your kind words regarding the excellent level of our service, I appreciate the fact that you so kindly mentioned the dedication and serious professionalism of your team, again thank you for your thoughtful words.

On the other hand I feel extremely sorry for the bad quality of your sleep during your stay, please accept my sincere apologies for this unacceptable event, I perfectly agree that a good quality of sleep is definitely part of what we may name ‘A perfect holiday’. I take into serious consideration all the aspects highlighted in your comment and concrete measures will be immediately taken with reference to the quality of the mattress and all those in need will be changed, moreover a thorough check about the quality of all our pillows will be also scheduled again in order to ensure they may be replaced when and where necessary.

Furthermore I am in the process of scheduling a technical inspection of the rooms where might be a soundproof issue in order to determine the level of it and restore a perfect soundproof system.

Again thank you for your comment, and apologies for the inconveniences experienced, I would be delighted to have the opportunity to welcoming you again to the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese in the near future and have the chance to also assist you on the allocation of your room possibly assigning you and your family a more spacious accommodation.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on the occasion of your next trip to Rome, I will be honoured to assist you again.