We are at the Aldrovandi for another 2 nights but I wanted to write a review while still enjoying this wonderful hotel.
Most of what I could tell you has already been mentioned by other reviewers so I'll try to fill in the gaps.
This is a lovely large Roman villa north of the Villa Borghese park in an area similar to Belgravia in London. The streets are wide, the buildings majestic and the atmosphere very refined. The hotel is not overly large but gives a grand impression upon approaching for the first time. The immaculately attired doormen, the opulent reception area with not a hair out of place make you realise you've chosen well.
The rooms bear comparison with any 5* property we've stayed at. We chose a Deluxe room which was amply large, had a lovely marble lined bathroom with complimentary Molton Brown potions and was decorated in an art deco style with quality wooden furniture and brass fittings. Our room (221) overlooked the pool/garden which was a huge bonus as the public areas are beautifully manicured and really give a sense of 'la dolce vita'. Oh, and the gorgeous quality of the cotton bedding needs to be mentioned.
The breakfast room was gorgeous period room, with wood panelling and mirrors everywhere. The breakfast buffet was about the best we've encountered with copious hot and cold choices for all tastes. However, do beware of going 'off-piste' with your breakfast choices - items not on the buffet spread were expensive.
In August the weather here is very hot (35 degrees today) so guests gather around the pool. I must mention the attentiveness of the excellent pool attendants who immediately take you to your choice of sunbed, arrange your towels and present a complimentary bottle of chilled water. The pool is heated the beds are comfortable and the setting is sheltered, classy and very relaxing.
If you want to venture into central Rome then you need to book a space in the 7-seater Mercedes people-carrier which runs to and from the Spanish Steps every 30 minutes - the journey takes no more than 10 minutes through the Villa Borghese and the drivers are courteous, knowledgeable and very careful. And a bit of soft classical music while traversing the parkland in air-conditioned comfort is rather magical.
Other reviewers bemoaning the Aldrovandi being outside the centre of Rome simply don't get it. The madness, noise, heat, hustle and bustle, culture and choice Rome offers is ON YOUR DOORSTEP, minutes away from the hotel and you can go there for free any time of day!!
By staying at the Aldrovandi you're insulated from the big city, in fact you could be anywhere in the world by the pool enjoying the opulence, service and quality of this gorgeous hotel.
Don't wait - book a stay here while the sun is shining - you will never regret it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched above the Eternal City in Rome's exclusive, residential Pinciano neighborhood, Aldrovandi Villa Borgheseis a palatial retreat that feels a world apart from the crowded piazzas of the Italian capital, although within walking distance of many highlights of the Eternal City. Overlooking the gorgeous greenery of Rome's Borghese Gardens, Aldrovandi Villa Borghese takes center stage in the Eternal City's poshest neighborhood. A former convent, this grand 19th-century ivory villa is dressed in marble and dripping in chandeliers. With its new SPA by LA MER and state-of-the-art fitness suite featuring the latest equipment, the two-Michelin-star restaurant Oliver Glowig, secluded garden with outdoor pool and palm tree-lined terrace, and a private shuttle to whisk guests straight to the Spanish Steps, this urban retreat offers all the perfect luxurious amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Priceline, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Aldrovandi Villa Borghese reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aldrovandi Villa Borghese Hotel Rome
- Aldrovandi Palace Hotel Rome
- Aldrovandi Palace Rome