“Pool was nice”

Aldrovandi Villa Borghese
Ranked #60 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed July 19, 2012

In the past I have always stayed near the Spanish steps - this year I wanted a swimming pool. The hotel is generally disapointing but shows glimmers of hope. I booked a suite which they very generously upgraded to a "Royal Suite" which had I been staying with children would have been great because it was very big for Rome standards. However the lovely view of the parking lotand a graffitied building infront of the park really wasn't what I expected.

They do seem to have rooms overlooking the pool which I imagine are much better. The bed was attrocious it would move on its own around the room. The bathroom was ok - but I prefer a stall shower compared to the bath shower combination.

The pool is really nice but if you want sun the morning is better than the afternoon. The drinks service at pool and bar by pool was incredibly slow. For some reason they decided the lobby bar should be closed - since the pool bar is open - its a shame as the lobby bar looked nice.

I ate at the michelin starred restaurant Oliver and it was perfect as far as service and quality of the food. I didn't love the menu though.

The gym was very good - all new machines.

The maid service was excellent.

Walking thru the park was vey nice - but a different experience than staying in the middle of everything.

Overall the hotel is lower priced than its competitors so I guess you should expect less.

Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Andrew B

Reviewed July 17, 2012

it's not the thirst time in this hotel but this year we are very disappointed by the room,many noise because the room on the street and cleanness in the room was no good.the staff explain me that the hotel was completed but it's not our problem especially in leading hotel.i have to ask many time towels and to do the housework,i think they have a problem of management

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
3  Thank Z P
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We spent 3 days in July at this hotel. During our stay the weather was extremely hot in Rome, so the swimming pool was like an oasis after a hot day sightseeing.

Firstly i will mention that we did see a rather famous Premier League football manager in the hotel. Make of this what you will.

Hotel is located a little way outside the central area, but it is not an issue since you can walk or use the shuttle bus provided by the hotel.

Hotel is located adjacent to the Villa Borghese park which provides an excellent place to exercise in the morning or evening.

The bathroom/shower needed some maintenance since water was spraying everywhere.

Breakfast was excellent. We particularly liked the freshly squeezed orange juice together and the fresh mozzarella.

We did not eat in the hotel in the evening, since we always eat outside in a proper restaurant as a rule.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Our two adjoining rooms were noisy, small, stained, worn and beds were very uncomfortable.
I booked this hotel because of the swimming pool, and it is July in Rome, the pool was a refreshing dip, but the gelato and drinks by the pool were so overpriced they were hard to enjoy.
We switched hotels because they said they could not change our rooms due to the hotel being full.
Sadly disappointing,

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank BrownMary
Reviewed July 4, 2012

From the first minute at the last of my staying at Aldrovandi was perfect! I don't have enough words to describe this hotel! The staff was perfect, very nice, helpful and professional. The room overlooked the garden and it was perfect because was very quiet. The hotel is gorgeous( Italian style). The Breakfast buffet is the best I have ever had at a hotel.! Very good coffee, smoked salmon and swordfish, all kinds of cheese, sweets etc.
The cherry on top is the shuttle service from the Hotel to Spanish Steps. It is comfortable, always on time. Because of this shuttle I didn't spend a dime on transport around the city! If you are a walker, Rome can be visited on foot. It is an open air Museum:)
I highly recommend this gorgeous hotel. Next time in Roma, and will be a next time for sure I'll be happy to return to Aldrovandi Vila Borghese.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the garden! are very quiet!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Alexaci
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I would just like to share a memorabile stay that l have experienced at the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese:

We arrived very early in the morning but luckily the room was ready. Our room overlooked the villa borghese garden with no noise in the night time. The size of our room was very confortabile and cozy.

I used the swimming pool, where l must say that the staff was very friendly and they also gave me a complimentary water when I arrived.

At the night time l spoiled myself with a gourmet dinner at the Oliver Glowig, delicious!

I was greeted by the Managing Director, Mr. Temperini who was very willing to make my stay as pleasant as possibile.

I will definitely come back!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Laurie H
Reviewed June 29, 2012

The hotel was absolutely marvellous. Friendly staff, good food, pleasant garden, the shuttle service worked fine.
À diner in the two stars chief's restaurant, Oliver Glowig, and his crew are well worth à visit.
I hope sincerelly to come back, to this hotel as soon as possible.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends