“My favourite adress in Rome!!”

Aldrovandi Villa Borghese
Ranked #43 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
Francfurt
“My favourite adress in Rome!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

The reason that led me to choose the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese is the unique location.
The hotel is located just in front of Villa Borghese so you don´t have any pollution or noise from the traffic. In order to reach the center you have to option : you can use the shuttle service which is offered complimentary and takes you directely to the Spanish Steps or you can take a 15 minutes walking through Villa Borghese Gardens.
I got a wonderful Deluxe Room with a nice view over the park , the room size was quite huge with a stunning marble bathroom featuring a Mirror TV.
Another plus of the room was the Minibar filled up with the most delicious snacks and beverages. It is very rare to find such an outstanding selection.
I stayed 2 nights and I had enough time to soak up the sun in the beautiful garden with a nice swimming pool.
From the swimming pool I had the chance to see the terrace of the gourmet restaurant Oliver Glowig so I´ve asked to the waiter to give me a menu and I found the menu very tempting with a resonable price. So I have booked a table for my mother and I for the same night and we got a real unique gourmet experience. The food was delicious, the atmosphere amazing and also the courtesy of the staff was a plus.
I had the chance to meet the chef Oliver Glowig because apparently he greeds personally each guest that come to his restaurant. Very kind!!
We had the chance to experience also the lavish buffet breakfast which has been served served in a very bright veranda overlooking the swimming pool.
I have also to mention the courtesy of the Concierge that took great care of us recommending the best places to go in town.

It was a real unique experience and I am looking forward to go back very soon next Spring!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Swanage, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2011

For a start the description of the hotel is misleading. The restaurant Baby is closed and the new Oliver someone restaurant is closed 2 nights a week and doesn't have a Michelin star. Of course, it may get one but I am not in a position to judge as I stayed there for 2 nights and the restaurant was closed. I had room service pasta and had to drink about a litre of water afterwards as it was so salty. The pool was nice and the reception staff were lovely. Fabulous location too. The hotel was beautiful in parts but someone had been let loose with a truckload of cheap looking mirror tiles and the reception area was decorated with a group of mannequins in designer wear. Bit weird really. I had a sense of a once great hotel going into a decline but maybe I am just embittered about the absence of the fine dining experience I was hoping for.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank TheCriticSwanage
aldrovandipalace, General Manager at Aldrovandi Villa Borghese, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Our Executive Director is personally acting along with the entire team of the hotel and I also attended to a meeting with all personnel of the room service department to share your comments and take the correct measures of prevention.

The restaurant named Oliver Glowig is a new high-end outlet of the hotel. Glowig has been awarded with two michelin stars in his former experience at the Capri Palace and with one michelin star in Zermatt. I really hope this is more explanatory for you.

The hotel has invested and will invest many capitals in the next future.

We have many new projects to start in the upcoming winter, among them the creation of a new-branded SPA with indoor pool.

We will also refurbish the existing Lobby Bar and our casual dining restaurant “The Grill Room” with new decors and furniture. The breakfast room will be totally renovated with new decors, new verandas, and totally new functional kitchen and staff areas.

On behalf of our hotel please accept again my personal and frank excuses for what happened during your stay in our hotel and please be assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences.

I really appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is my hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Please feel free to contact me directly for your next coming to Rome, I will be delighted to have you as preferred guests here at the Aldrovandi Villa Borghese.

Ugo Ossani
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

The Aldrovandi Palace is located across the street form the Borghese gardens. The beautiful neighborhood is full of fantastic villas. This is a great place to retreat to after a day of heavy sightseeing. The pool and gardens are wonderful. Try to get a room overseeing them.
Although some reviews complained about expensive wi-fi, I was given 24 hours free and offered free use of an I Pad for 2 hours at a time, so there is no need to pay for wi fi. Most plans include breakfast. The restaurant on site (Oliver Glower) is excellent from a chef with 2 Michelin stars at his place in Capri.
Transportation into the heart of the city is easy: walk a half mile to either the Flaminia or Espana metro stops, take the hotel shuttle, or it is an inexpensive cab ride.
The staff could not have been more helpful.
Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over the pool
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights and it was incredible. The room was lovely, although not much space was left after they crammed in an enormous bed. The bathroom was gorgeous with an awesome shower + lovely Molton Brown goodies. Overall, the hotel was quite formal, but still relaxing. The concierge was brilliant - every recommendation or booking was a good one. The pool area was nice, but in shade for a large portion of the day; however, the pool restaurant was lovely. Breakfast was spot on; however, the 'grill' restaurant (not the Michelin star one) was really, really poor - it felt like we were eating in someone's hall. Finally, as you would expect, mini-bar or room service charges were astronomical. Still, I would definitely return one day.

Room Tip: We had a room opposite the lift (normally a real no no) but the doors are so thick we couldn't h...
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

In an Ambassadorial neighborhood, quiet and convenient for the Modern Art museum and the Borghese park and zoo (across the road!) where (slightly battered) bikes can be rented. 10 minute cab ride to the Spanish steps...

Room Tip: Garden and pool rooms are quieter than the Park street side....
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
am
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

The hotel is situated 5min walk of the national gallery and the villa borghese park. The hotel offers free rides from the hotel to the Spanish steps every 30min. from early in the morning and comming back( the last bus leaves at 10.45pm.) One thing, make shure that you reserve a seat for this bus because it is small.
The pesonel is very friendly and helpful.
The restaurant situated in the hotel is nice but expensive, a glass of chardonnay was suggested (25,- euro's per glass). The diner was nice but not sooo nice.. that ofcourse depends on everyones own taste. A glass of coca cola is 9,-. Capuchino 6,-.The beds in the room where hard and I prefer softer beds. The breakfast is very good! The pool and garden is fantastic.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 419 and had an overview to the garden and swimming pool
1 Thank likoholland
Zürich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

We've visited this hotel for two nights in August 2011. As we had a very tough sightseeing to do (Rome in 2 days) we were searching for a kind of oasis in the middle of the city - and we've found it with this hotel!

We arrived at 09:00 in the morning. The entrance was blocked because of cleaning, so we needed to keep our car on the road. After quiet a waiting time, we could go already to our room - in the early morning - this was great after a long arrival trip!

The staff was very helpful, but also a kind of cold. The concierge was very useful in restaurant hints. The shuttle service to the Spanish Steps is great - but you need to book also for the RETURN transfer, or you will end - like we - walking through Borghese gardens at 23:00 in the night, because of a over-booked last shuttle.

Our room (regular double) was located in the main building. When we entered the room, there was a smell of smoke - not acceptable as we requested a non-smoking room! But the room size was quiet nice, and there was a big marble bathroom. The shower/bathtub was a kind of Italian-style-wannebe-renovated, but acceptable.

Room was clean, but with some issues, like stains on the wall, no-cleaning of garbage bins at turndown time, etc. All-in-all normal for Italy :-) We've liked very much that there was a plate of fresh fruits, a bottle of red wine, and a bottle of mineral water in our room as a present. Also, we've liked the Molton Brown bathroom stuff.

In general is everything, what you get from a hotel, very much (too) expensive, don't take anything from minibar. Instead of 20EUR WLAN in the room, we went to the free-of-charge businesscenter to check our e-mails. Also I would advise you to park a private car not in the hotel parking, but outside in the area. Very nice was a free-of-charge newspaper each morning to the room.

A huge PLUS for this hotel is the pool-area. Very clean, big, nice pool area - and this in the middle of Rome! There is a pool-boy-service, you will get towels and free-of-charge mineral water, what we've liked very much. Also you can find a pool bar (slow service, high prices).

We were not at the hotel restaurant, and not at the bar, but lobby & bar are very friendly and nice looking. But no live-music. Breakfast was very nice, huge buffet with everything you need, good quality, including spumante free of charge. Service is very fast, waiters are well-trained. Nice view from breakfast room to the pool area.

Concierge was very helpful in restaurant hints (good prices, no tourist-0815-stuff), tickets, city map assistance. etc.

All-in-all a very good, traditional hotel in Rome - ideal to stay a couple of nights to explore the city and to relax after a long day in the pool. We would come back.

2 Thank ZPZurich-Moscow