“We always stay here when in Rome”

FH Grand Hotel Palatino
Ranked #280 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Great staff from the front door right through to the restuarants. Rooms are fabulous, the suites are so spacious.We have had different rooms over our visits and were always happy.Stay here for everything you want and need when in Rome.Location excellent!

2010,2011

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,707)

Reviewed September 23, 2012

The location of the hotel is within a few minutes' walk of the Colosseum and Forum, and a little further walking distance of Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and Pantheon. Vatican City is across the river and is probably not within walking distance for most people.

The room we had was relatively large, and was nicely decorated and comfortable. We could faintly hear our neighbors and street noise, but the room was pretty quiet otherwise.

The included combination safe in the room was handy and worked easily. The bathroom was strangely designed, but adequate.

Internet access was available for an additional fee. In my opinion, that's inexcusable for such a pricey hotel. In the US, we call that nickel and diming the customer. The need to access the internet should not be treated like a luxury option. Most people I know are regular internet users when traveling, so I would advise the hotel management to enter the 21st century.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank onbalance
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The staff in the Hotel are wonderful, helpful and fantastic for tourists visiting Rome for the first time, a great location and FANTASTIC FOOD AND STAFF. I would come back time and time again for this hotel. Centrally located in the center of Rome and everything is within walking distance. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel or its staff along with the resteraunt.

Room Tip: this is the perfect place for first time tourists!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KJ D
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My sister and I decided to do a sisters-only trip to Rome. Thanks to all of the reviews that we read on Trip Advisor, we were able to make an informed decision when we chose to stay at this hotel. We enjoyed our stay and I would recommend this hotel for its location and its relative safety.

The positives of this hotel far outweighed the negatives, but there were a few negatives worth mentioning.

As many reviewers indicated, Palatino Grand Hotel is in an excellent location, just steps from the Colosseum and Forum, and close to both the Cavour and Colosseo Metro stations. It is also within very easy walking distance from the Termini train station and from other major sites. The hotel seems to be very safe; we felt as though they try very hard to ensure the safety of their guests.

Our room was spotlessly clean, and was very comfortable. Our maid service was excellent. Despite the intense heat, our air conditioner worked great.

The included breakfast offered many healthy choices and the service in the breakfast room was very nice. (The American coffee did taste like instant, which at least one reviewer mentioned). Breakfast offerings included cereals, pastries, cakes, several types of bread, fresh fruit, eggs, bacon, and cheese and meat cold cuts--very good choices. The breakfast room was very nicely appointed .

The lobby and other sitting area were very lovely.

The negatives were not so important to us, but they are worth mentioning. The closet unit in our room had a door that got stuck on a drawer. You had to open the drawer all the way to open the closet door. I am sure that the hotel staff must have been aware of this problem already and it seems like it should have been pretty easy to fix it. We did not complain about it because it was not important enough to complain about, but, really, the closet door and drawer should work.

Also, as other reviewers mentioned, you could not use the shower in a regular shower fashion without getting water all over the bathroom. No matter what we did to try to adjust the shower head, we could not avoid this problem. However, as I said, we dealt with these issues without complaint because we were very happy with the safety, cleanliness, and location of the hotel.

I was, however, surprised and disappointed by two experiences. As it happened, none of my "universal" European adaptors was suitable for Rome. I had no idea that Italy (or at least this area) used a 3-prong plug that does not seem to come with any of the adaptor sets that I had purchased.

The information provided in the room stated that we could pick up an appropriate adaptor at the front desk. When I asked for one, I was swiftly told that the United States adaptors had all been given out and that I should go down the street to the Chinese guy to buy an adaptor. Well, I DID do that--I found the right guy and bought the right adaptor, and I did not complain. However, I think that a hotel of that size and price that has so many guests from the U. S. should actually have enough adaptors or should at least buy the adaptor for the guest to use.

We were not aware that the hotel had a voice mail system, and my sister was expecting a call from her friend who lives in Italy. When my sister asked at the front desk if she had received any phone messages, she was simply told "no". She was not told to check the room's voicemail. As it happened, the next day I decided to read the folder that was under the phone, saw a reference to voicemail, dialed the message retrieval, and found out that my sister's friend had left several messages. (There is not a light on the phone indicating that there are messages). It really would have been helpful if the front desk person had told us to check voicemail!!

So, it is not as though the front desk staff was particularly rude, but they were not particularly helpful either, and there was an aloofness that bordered on rudeness.

Some additional info on the room: Our room did not have a tea pot or hot water maker, nor did it have an iron. Most of the higher end hotels that I have stayed in have had these items, and it would have been nice to have them here, too

.Also, our room did not have a full-length mirror, which I feel is a necessity in a hotel room.

The bathroom had an old-style hair dryer that worked pretty well. Amenities in the bathroom included shampoo (not conditioner), soap, body lotion, shower caps, a shoe shine sponge, and a little package that included cotton balls, q-tips, and an emery board.

In summary, we very much enjoyed our stay here, and I definitely would select this hotel again if I return to Rome. I get the impression that Palatino has already made some changes based on previous comments--which is very positive thing-- so I really hope that they continue to strive for improvement because it is a lovely hotel in a great location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Lu-AnnR
Reviewed September 13, 2012

There are multiple problems with the service of this hotel. One of them being that they accept no responsibility for any problems that a guest experiences and you can verify that from the management responses made in earlier reviews.

If you select to stay here, be sure to note and point out all of the problems you find immediately upon arrival much like you must do with a car rental or you will be charged. We were actually locked out of our room for a problem that previously existed with a tea pot. The little front desk manger suggested that he would charge us 50 euros for the pot that was broken prior to our arrival but not detected until after we checked in. If a hotel is that concerned about a 10 euro tea pot, there are bigger problems occurring either financial or with the staff that does not regularly catch such problems.

Carpets were spotted and dirty, Internet did not work consistently and was an additional charge, shower leaked, bath tub did not drain properly. Tea pot was broken and lid did not fit properly. We should have pointed all these defects out upon arrival.

The most annoying thing was that the little man choose to lock us out of our room after we had already paid for the room! Also, insinuated that they were beyond reproach and treated guests superbly.

Front desk staff was pretentious and unfriendly on arrival.

There are plenty of hotel rooms within spitting distance of this place. Consider one of those first.

Room Tip: Check room first before accepting it and note all problems.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank J T
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This hotel was in a great location, walking distance to The Roman Forum and the Colosseum. If you're up for a slightly longer walk, you can also walk to the Trevi Fountain and The Pantheon. The rooms were on the smaller side, and they were older. The door to the room was carpeted. The one problem we had with this hotel was parking. We had a rental car, and a member of the staff arranged for it to be parked in a deck nearby. We needed the car very early the next morning, since we were flying out of Italy. She assured us that it would not be a problem. It was a problem. The next morning, there was one person working at the desk and multiple people checking out. This sole staff member had troulbe reaching the parking deck. No one was answering. He tried calling mutliple times, in between helping other guests. Eventually, someone answered at the parking deck and brought our car to the hotel. Obviously, we were very anxious about the possibily of missing our flight; however, we luckily built in extra time to get to the airport. Overall, a decent hotel but beware when parking your car.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Megan M
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Beautiful Hotel, centrally located just blocks from the Collisuem. Service was great and the rooms were very clean and well appointed. Family friendly and close to fine reasonably priced restaurants. Close to the central rail system. You do not need a rental car.

I would definately go back!

Room Tip: Ask for the corner room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family