“Good Value”
Review of Borromeo Hotel

Borromeo Hotel
Ranked #322 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I would actually give this 3.5 stars if I could, but since I can't give half stars we will take it up to 4.

You have to keep your expectations tempered for this one.

The good:
1. The staff is friendly and helpful. They even stored our bags for us (for free!) while we went up to Florence for a few days.
2. They have an excellent breakfast that is included in the price of your stay. This includes hot items and not just a continental breakfast. They have scrambled eggs, charcuterie, excellent cheeses, danishes, juice, coffee, etc. Please be sure to leave a Euro or two for the kind people who prepare the breakfast and keep it replenished.
3. Location, location, location. It sits right in between the Rome Termini station and the Colosseum. How much more convenient do you get? It's also not too far from a Metro stop which is very convenient.

The bad:
Really, it's just the look of the hotel. It hasn't been upgraded in awhile so it's not very fancy. But how much time do you actually plan on spending in your room? Not much, at least we didn't. They do have TVs with cable in each room. It's clean, the water is hot and they have WiFi. You do have to pay for the WiFi but it's affordable (but slow).

All-in-all, it depends on what you are looking for. If you want something affordable that offers the aforementioned amenities and you don't care how up-to-date it is, then this is your place.

If you are ever in NYC and interested in low-cost or free things to do, please check out my blog!

www.thecityismylivingroom.com

Happy vacationing!

Room Tip: I would ask for a room that isn't right on the main drag.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I went to Rome in August 2012 and booked the hotel in June 2012. After arriving at the airport it took around an hour and a half to be dropped off at hotel Borromeo. I had left home for the airport (London) at 4am that morning to catch a 6:30am flight and had not arrived at the hotel until after midday. Needless to say I was tired and hungry. All I wanted to do was shower, change clothes, eat, and relax in my hotel room before heading out to explore Rome. However, on my arrival to the hotel I was advised that there had been a ‘mix up’ with the room bookings, not just mine, but with everyone who was due to arrived on that day. Despite having 2 months to prepare for my arrival the hotel had overbooked. I was informed that a group who were meant to leave the previous day decided to stay. For this reason the hotel staff booked me into another hotel for the duration of my trip to Rome and dropped me off there.

However, this is not all bad, I am glad I did not have to stay at Hotel Borromeo. Prior to booking the hotel I had read good reviews but after booking I to read reviews which did not paint a pretty picture. On my arrival I could not help but notice how filthy the hotel looked from the outside and the inside was no better. All I saw of the inside of the hotel was the reception which looked cheap and unkempt. I dread to imagine what the hotel rooms looked like.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Explorer118
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Perfect location with the colosseum at the end of the street and a tube station less than a minutes walk from stepping outside. The staff were very polite and helpful when called on but sadly thats as about as good as it gets.
Our tiny room was in real near of modernization it wasn't vintage retro or even old fashioned it was mealy dated to put it politely. It had a small double bed with just enough room to get out either side, a single wardrobe with 2 hangers. The mini bar was gross Half the stuff init was out of date at it was in need of a good wipe inside bits of old food and mould.Did have a safe though that was handy. Bathroom was ok a bit on the grubby side
Wifi was very expensive if you chose to use it.
Breakfast was a joke! continental doesn't quite cut it when your craving full english, but milk and frosties, apple or orange a yogurt and a tea or Coffee should not be advertised as an all-inclusive breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DannyD77
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I am baffled as to how it got a high rating on this website. Our room was filthy and foul smelling, the shower curtain was moldy and there were crumbs on the table just to name a few. For breakfast I was greeting by a bug in my milk. The entire hotel is in great disrepair and in serious need of a paint job. We couldn't wait to get out. The front desk staff asked for us to leave our passports with them for the duration of our stay - NO WAY! We stayed in other hotels in Italy and were never asked to do this. We noticed he had a whole stack of passports right out in the open! We insisted he take a copy and return our passports immediately. We later noticed the signs in the lobby stating that they are not responsible for lost or forgotten passports. Wonder how many times that actually happened there. All this for 110 euro a night! Terrible.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank HalynaClaudia
Reviewed August 5, 2012

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Ruth H
Reviewed August 2, 2012

First hotel i stayted at in Roma. Withing walking distance to Colosseum, Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore (Largest church in Italy) and pick station for the hop-on hop-off bus and Termini Station (Main reason why i booked as we had to get a train to Civitavecchia Port where our cruise was) . Rooms are quite small and kept well maintained. On check out day the lift was broken and i had take our 5 suitcases down the stairs which was a pain but these things do happen.
Overall an ok stay!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Zayneel
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I stayed for two weeks, and enjoyed it immensely. The rooms are a bit small, but normal for most of Europe. Be sure to ask for a room on the interior courtyard! Very quiet, and you can leave the balcony door open for a nice breeze.
Hotel staff are very knowledgable and helpful. A wonderful breakfast every morning, and a cheerful greeting upon return!
Excellent location, just a few minutes walk to the Colosseum and Forum. Even closer to San Pietro in Vincoli (Saint Peter in Chains) a Roman Catholic church and basilica, best known for being the home of Michelangelo's statue of Moses.
Just steps away from the Metro, and reasonably close to the train station.

Room Tip: Ask for room on interior courtyard!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple