“We're back!”

Ranked #594 of 12,590 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Colonna
Description: Sneaking in a side street near the Pantheon, in the heart of the eternal city , our restaurant will turn your curiosity at the mere sight of truffles, artichokes and tempting dishes displayed on the outdoor tables.A peek inside and the soft environment with candles and flowers on the tables , furnishings lived a very nice and old style that make it so special and romantic, to reassure you enter.A growing of positive experiences in a small but very quaint , where he combines an excellent Jodaeo-Roman cuisine , courtesy and typical hospitality Capitoline , you intrattenerrà in taste in absolute peace and will never fail in amaze with its magical atmosphere.And if you happen to have to wait a few minutes to get in, waiting for a table , you will be pampered from the start with a tasting of a good flute of prosecco and with so much courtesy and kindness typical of Garbini .Do not miss this opportunity if you pass our part , we will be happy to share our hospitality and joviality to the enjoyment of an exciting and unforgettable experience
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My partner, Lady Katherine, is a meticulous researcher. Before we leave home on our trips, she always compares sites and reviews and prices, and comes up with the best places to stay and to eat. I have learned to appreciate this skill, because her selections are invariably unbeatable. On this trip to Rome, she selected two restaurants close to our hotel (the Albergo Cesari ... see my hotel review.) The two restaurants she chose were "La Sagrestia" in Via dei Seminario, and "Antica Trattoria da Pietro al Pantheon" in Via dei Pastini.

"Antica Trattoria da Pietro al Pantheon" is (as its name suggests) close to the Pantheon, in Via dei Pastini, which leads off the Piazza della Rotonda. It's a busy little street, and sometimes very crowded; but the restaurant itself is quieter and very atmospheric inside. There are a few small tables outside, if you want to closely observe the passing parade. But the inside is better, with a few candles casting their light on walls covered with mirrors and framed pictures, photos and documents, and other odds and ends. It all looks very warm and cosy ... and it is!

As I said, Lady Katherine had marked this place as a definite 'must visit'. The first time we poked our noses in here, however, it was booked out. So we simply made a reservation for a few days hence, and came back. The second time we came here, there was some momentary confusion over our booking because, amazingly, a man with the exact same name as mine had also booked a table on the exact same night as me, and been given the table beside me! I took this as a good sign. The man and his wife were from the USA, and were very nice folk too. They enjoyed their meal as much as we enjoyed ours, and we chatted the night away.

The dish we ordered was home-made pasta with black truffles, a speciality (but not the only one) of the house. It was delicious. In fact. all the food here was delicious. So delicious in fact that we came back here again on our last night in Rome, and this time we didn't need a reservation because we came early and there were a few tables available inside. There's your hint ~ if you don't have time for reservations ... arrive early.

I really loved this little trattoria. It has atmospheric dignity, the staff are very friendly, the food is excellent, and the walls are covered in interesting history (see my photos). I'll be back, for 'shore'! One thing puzzles me, however: When I made my original reservation at this restaurant, they put a RISERVATO card on my table, which I kept. The curious thing was that the reservation card they used did NOT carry the name of this restaurant. Instead, it had the name of ANOTHER RESTAURANT in Via dei Pastini called "Ristorante Antonio al Pantheon". Perhaps the two are connected in some way. Finding a different restaurant's reservation card on your table, however, can be a little confusing when it comes to writing reviews later. Luckily, I took a photo of the menu, so I'd be certain where I was dining. Anyway, see my photos, and mark this restaurant down as a 'must visit' when next you're staying in the old historic centre of Rome. Just make 'shore' you write down the right name so you end up eating in the right restaurant!

4  Thank onero
There are newer reviews for Pietro al Pantheon

Reviewed July 10, 2013

This restaurant serves authentic fare in a touristy location for a very fair price. That combination is hard to find in central Rome only a stone's throw from the Pantheon and Trevi. Food portions were large and delicious. We started with buffalo/tomato appetizer and then had the "Little Pig" and Saltimbocca entrees. The pork was outstanding, the veal a little tough, but with good flavor. A complimentary ricotta cheese appetizer and small dessert was included. House wine was good. Our only complaint was the service. We got off to a rocky start with the waitress due to the language barrier and miscommunication; they were quite crowded and seemed understaffed, therefore it took a while to get the order placed. The food was worth any problems we encountered and we would eat there again.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Rome is an overwhelming place. I took a chance here - not sure what to expect but I was very impressed. Eating side by side with locals, we enjoyed fresh pasta, fantastic wine - even Roman tripe - and we enjoyed every minute. Prices were very reasonable, and staff was very friendly and genuine. Nearby our table there was a little girl crying because she was upset she was leaving Rome the next day - what appeared to be a waiter or cook came out with a chocolate for her, gave her a hug and took pictures - it was a touching scene (aided by the immense Baraolo I was enjoying). We ate jumbo anchovies, bacon paste, cacio e pepe, scalloppini and trippa and we were overjoyed! Try it.

1  Thank Frank D
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We have been here twice, six people ... all were highly satisfied.
Of course, one chef is preparing a little better pasta than the liver, the other chef the other day - on the contrary, but i can't give them less than 5.
Personally, my choice - homemade pasta with black truffle and beef fillet with black truffle.

A lot of pleasure from food, the atmosphere, the relationship to you, within 18 days of the last trip is one of the best restaurants, and the cheapest. The bill for 6 people with wine 120-140 euros (thanks for the offer pinot grigio - it's great) ... I paid an average of 250+/-50 for six and did not get the same pleasure.

1  Thank Valentin_N_S
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Ate at this adorable restaurant our first night in Rome as it was right around the corner from our Hotel, Albergo del Senato. Our server, Sara was not very fluent in English, but she was determined to figure out what my husbands and my pallets were craving. We started with an amazing salad that Sara suggested, very light and delicate, followed by a fried zucchini appetizer that was amazing. We split a caprese salad that was wonderful and fresh and finished with a porcini pasta dish that was incredible. Everything was cooked to perfection and we ended up closing the restaurant while enjoying a lemoncello with the owner. Over experience.... priceless!