“I loved it, hated to leave!!”
Review of Hotel De Monti

Hotel De Monti
Ranked #163 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

I travelled alone to Rome to meet with some friends for some concerts, sightseeing, etc.  I added this hotel to my list of 'maybe'-s due to price, location, amenities (wifi/ breakfast were my definite necessities, most places have this), and great overall user reviews.

It was a little difficult to pinpoint, but after 10 minutes, I found it.  My fault, I wasn't paying close attention to the numbers!  Check-in was exceptional- so much personalized attention! They take their time to explain the area & help answer your questions  (directions, modes of transportation)based on what's probably best for you based on your personal needs as a traveler.  Usually, in larger places, I get 'Passport please.  Here are your keys' and off I'm sent, unless I have questions... Still, I'm usually not helped so willingly & with such consideration for my needs!

I was nervous at first about the small-size of the business, how could they possibly provide what I need?  My worries were quickly gone.  All info is provided on a print-out,  plenty of towels, plenty of spoken information given beforehand- I had no questions, I never had to call for anything.

They give you a list of things you can choose for breakfast the next day- it was more lengthy than I expected, and honestly, I loved every second of eating that breakfast.  Yes, I was very hungry, lol, but knowing that everything was local and tasted so fresh as opposed to mass produced frozen meals from other places, it was even better.  Plus, they bring it to your room- I always HATE making myself presentable for breakfast!  The ability to lounge in my pj's, half-asleep and eat at my leisure?  Perfect.

I learned from a local friend that this was the area 'to be', and hence my choice of this one over a few others.  I was told of the great bars, restaurants, and told that it wasn't really touristy (I agree, saw some, but not like other areas I visited which were completely taken over by tourists.  It is perfectly central.  Comfortably between Termini and Cavour Metro stations (I'd recommend using Cavour as your base station though- a lot closer).  I walked to the Colosseo within 15 minutes on quiet streets, buying water and soda for the price that locals pay as opposed to tourist prices.

I loved the feeling of coming back to my room- it was as if I had my own apartment in Rome as opposed to staying at a hotel.  Some people are less independent and require 24-hour on-site staff, but I LOVED this.  I guess had there been a problem It wouldn't have been so convenient, but there wasn't, so I was perfectly happy.

The room was spotless, everything new, even the bed cover, which most hotels don't wash for every guest.  Shower was small, but all new, I was fine with it.  Great air conditioning.  Room was pretty quiet, could slightly hear the neighbors at time, but not a biggie at all.

It was very understated and simple- but I loved everything about it.  If I ever go to Rome again, I would stay here again in a heartbeat.  I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Grazie mille, Hotel de Monti, for being a part of my great experience in Roma!

• Stayed: July 2012
6  Thank anti_travel1010
Alessandro Z, Direttore at Hotel De Monti, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Thank you for this fantastic review!

One of our focus is to let people live the real Roman life, through our tips and advises, perhaps through the real Roman kitchen as well!!!!

We do not believe in those kind of luxury services because we prefer our guests to feel the importance of the Eternal City soul, through a healthy walk of one of the most important and ancient city of the past world.

Next time, as well if you will reserve just for 1 night, we will let you leave the Hotel just when we think it will be enough!!!!

Reviewed July 20, 2012

This Hotel must have the most cheerful, helpful and friendly staff in Rome. Coupled with a generous sized room, excellent decor/furnishings, A/C, Wi-Fi, a good location and great breakfast, you can not go wrong. I think the location deserves special mention. The Hotel really is located in a good part of Rome close to many of the major attractions. From both a sight seeing point of view the location was ideal and we felt 'safe' in the streets, even when returning late at night. Honestly this Hotel is a gem in Rome.

To be fair to other travellers there is only one area which was not prefect and that is that there was sometimes a bit of noise from the floor above. As we understand the floor above is a private unit, the hotel has no control over this area. Even so the noise did not cause us trouble as we tended to retire late and get up early, coupled with being pretty worn-out at the end of each days intense sight seeing. Also as mentioned by others, there are a number of stairs to climb and no lift. Though we were helped with the bags both ways so unless you can not climb stairs to a third floor this should not present a problem.

Overall this Hotel is great value for money and we would not hesitate staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GG2099

We are very glad for the review you posted, and we thamk you so much.

The Monti district is one of the oldest in Rome and being in the exactly centre of the city, it let you easily reach everything by your own foot or even with public transportation (there is a huge choice of buses and metro stations here around).

We are wishing to soonly meet you again, as it is always a pleasure to meet such a kind persons as you are!

Reviewed July 16, 2012

I loved this place for many reasons!
Firstly, the room and the breakfast, a very chic boutique hotel, full of character and charm!! The breakfast was locally sourced where possible (great to hear!) and was delicious, bought to our room at a time that suited us. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and included the much needed air con!
Secondly, the location was perfect, close enough to all the sights and to the Roma Termini.
As for the service, I cannot compliment the staff enough! When we arrived, although they were three stories up, we were greeted at the door by a member of staff to help with our bags. He then swiftly checked us in whilst helping us decide what to do with our 1 day in Rome, he told us about places we would have never of otherwise found and through his guidance were able to see as much as we possibly could during our stay.
Thank you De Monti!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Alessandro Z, Direttore at Hotel De Monti, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2012

We appreciated a lot this review!

We will be always here to provide our guests our "homemade" service, consisting in personal tips about where to go and advises to how to skip the big queues of the Roman monuments and musuems.

In here it is called the 0 kms policy, it means that all the products you could have in Hotel De Monti breakfast, come from the agricultural region of Rome, thus everytime fresh and tasty!!!

We wish you all the best and we hope to accommodate you again, hopefully for more nights!

Reviewed July 13, 2012

It's hard to describe this fabolous little hotel in just a few words. We had a tremendous time, hotel is spotless, service great, rooms very spacious, with modern furniture and clean, location is great too. Would come back again soon.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

...and we will be here of course waiting for you.

All our rooms are provided with a private bathroom with shower, air conditioning, safe and a LCD TV.

For the Roman centre standard they are pretty spacious and we are always glad to complete our service, suggesting the best place to eat in De Monti district!

All the best!

Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed at Hotel De Monti on our recent visit to Europe. Our decision to stay here was based on others reviews and we are pleased to say they are right on the mark.
I think it's important to note there is no hotel signage, our driver from the airport struggled to find the hotel based on the street numbering, it turned out we were very close but if you're looking for a sign you won't find one.
The room was great, we had a little noise from other guests one night heading down the hall but it was very miminal.
The bathroom is small, and the shower but the rooms are great value overall especially when you get a great breakfast - excellent latte, wonderful service (do take on board their tips) and lovely clean rooms with wifi.
The lock failed on the door to our room at about 11.30pm on out first night but the backup hotel down the road sorted someone to meet us to unlock the door and we found a great little bar with hanging Ivy as a result - definitely worth a visit.
Overall, great Hotel, excellent service and great location.

Room Tip: Double check the door key works before you head out.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HomebaseTauranga
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

We thank you very much for the top valuation as well as the warnings you give to all the readers: this makes everyone understand how unique the stay can be.

It's been already a while we have asked for permission to put a street sign on our front door but as the building is considered to be a monument we still are waiting for Italian burocracy.

Nevertheless, everyone has found us and has enjoyed the stay!

Our rooms are all spacious for the Roman standard and we always work hard to let them be
immaculate every day and we thank you for sharing and confirming this.

Our reception is only opened during day time but whatever happens during the night, we still can cover you with 24 hours assistance. we infinitely
thank you for your patience and cooperation!

We wish you all the best in the hope to have you back soon here with us.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

When I arrived at hotel de monti. The ground floor front door looked grubby as did the entrance . I could not have been more pleasantly suprises when I went upstairs to the 3rd floor where the hotel reception and rooms are. They helped us with our bags and could not have been more helpful. Two wonderfully welcoming men who had organised a coeliac breakfast for me in advance. Gave me restaurant recommendations And made reservations for me, and on the day I was leaving they printed my boarding pass and organises me a taxi which was 18 euro less than all the taxi's had quoted us. The room was very large and spotless clean. The area is great and a ten minute walk from the train station and loads of major sites . This is the first time I have written a trip advisor review but they definetely deserved a 5 out of 5 in every category .

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Ciaralovestotravel
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

We thank you a lot for such a great review, hoping to have you back soon. The next time,
perhaps for a longer time.

Our little Hotel is situated in an ancient building of the 16th Century in a 2000 years old district. As you could see, all the area breaths
history and here even rocks can speak...

Strong of an enviable location, we always have the final focus of our guests' satisfaction,
including the real way to enjoy Rome at its best and never forgive the Emperors' City!!!

It has been a real pleasure to meet you and talk with you and we friendly greet you!

Reviewed June 22, 2012

My Husband and I stayed at Hotel De Monti for one night this week after our cruise as we wanted to visit some sights. Mauro organized our transfer from the port to the property and was waiting to assist with our luggage when we arrived. The rooms are average size for Europe and are clean with modern furnishings. The hotel is within walking distance to the major attractions, restaurants and shops and Mauro gave us tips on skipping the queues and the best restaurants.

An enjoyable continental breakfast was delivered on time on our departure morning just in time for our prebooked transfer. Wish we had more time.

Lovely place, lovely people! I'll definitely recommend and would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KimInniss
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

...and we are really hoping that in a soon future you will share another experience in
Rome with us!

Our district is one of the most famous and most important of Rome and even the walls can
tell about Roman history!

Instead of second quality ingredients of international breakfasts, we prefere to provide the best local season products.

All the staff of the Hotel comes from Rome and loves to let people know what are the real
best parts of the eternal City (not necessarly only the most famous attractions as Colosseum or Vatican City)...

All the best and a personal strong hug from Mauro!