“Best hostel on our trip”

and 1 more site!
La Controra Hostel Rome
Ranked #35 of 1,131 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We didn't stay at many hostels during our trip, however this was the best of the bunch! Fantastic AND CLEAN rooms with large bathroom and great breakfast in the morning. Will definitely be back if we're on a budget :)

Stayed in private 4-bedroom with bathroom. 1st floor. Stayed 18-06-12 to 22-06-12

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jonathan_Michalowsky
There are newer reviews for La Controra Hostel Rome

Reviewed July 13, 2012

I booked a bed in a 2-bed dorm for 3 nights. The room was very spacious and clean, quite light if you consider it looks out onto a (well-kept) courtyard. The private bathroom was modern, pretty and clean.

The beds were very 'creaky' though, every time you moved, the bed would protest. Not so great for a dorm. The room was next to the common room, and one night people were talking there very loudly at 2 am. I got up and asked them to please keep it down and they did. I feel that the people that stay at La Controra would not ruin other people's experience on purpose, just like the kitchen was kept clean and tidy by all the guests.

I liked the big lockers that were provided in the room, i would have appreciated a chair or sidetable and especially some hooks on the wall or in the lockers to hang stuff.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, they responded well to requests that went a bit beyond to what you'd expect them to provide. The street and entrance to the building felt very safe. It is quite close to the main train station (12 minute walk), another subway station and some lovely sights, like Villa Borghese.

I would go there again and recommend La Controra to fellow travellers!

Room Tip: You could ask to be not next to the common room, as people sometimes come in late and are a bit loud...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 6, 2012

My friend and I had never stayed in a hostel before and La Controra exceeded our expectations! We booked the twin private room with ensuite which was massive. It was also really clean and although the mattresses looked thin and flimsy they were actually pretty comfortable.

The staff is very knowledgeable and offer maps, directions and tips on where to go and what to see around Rome. Great location, walking distance to all the major attractions but also close to the Metro to get to the outskirts.

Breakfast wasn't the best but it isn't the Hilton! Common room was a great place to meet fellow travelers and we made some great friends to travel around Rome with. Free wifi is great and worked in our room which was on level 3. Plus there is a lift so no need to lug heavy bags up and down stairs.

Definitely recommend this hostel to all!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Melissa F
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights in a 3 bed dorm with shared bathroom outside. This was one of the most pleasant hostels that I stayed in. It's new, clean, bright, spacious and well-maintained. The staff were casual but very friendly and helpful.

I liked the location. It isn't in the hub of the action in Rome (be prepared to take the bus or walk for 20-30 minutes), but it is in a safe area, it was easy to reach on foot from the Roma Termini, and there is a metro station within 10 minutes as well.

There were lockers in the room I was in (BYO padlock) but apart from that, only one lamp (BYO torch) and no other furniture. It was pouring with rain when I was in Rome but there was nowhere to hang your clothing to dry - even a hook on the wall would have been nice.

The building isn't very soundproof - I could hear people talking fairly clearly from the other rooms at night, so bring earplugs if you have trouble sleeping. Also, the quilts don't have covers. I don't mind too much, since a topsheet is provided, but if you are particularly picky about hygiene, be aware.

Wifi is available. Signal strength was poor in my room, and I had to go to the common area to access the internet, but no complaints, it was free. Breakfast was basic (bread, cereal and tea/coffee/juice/milk) but again, no complaints, it was free.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank nmyl
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed in a private en-suite room. It was brand new, nicely designed and clean. The bed was really comfortable. The staff were extremely friendly. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2012

It is a very friendly ,neat ,clean,small and modern Hostel. I was there with my husband and too sons (14 and 7). The staff what very helpful and friendly specially with the boys.The room was just perfect. Spacious ,clean with en suit bathroom. Everything very well maintained and tasteful.
The breakfast was just fine.It could have been better . The location is FANTASTIC! Stone trough of all the public transports and close to mayor touristic attractions...I will come back at any time !

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2012

La Controra hostel is the prettiest hostel I have ever stayed in. It was very clean, the bathroom was sooo pretty, I will probably copy their design for my next house, and everything about it was just really comfortable. The staff was more than kind, helpful and professional. I was 2 hours late and arrived at 1AM terrified that no one will be there to open the door and that I will have to sleep out on the street, but lucky for me, they waited up for me.
They helped me with everything I needed. Saved me the next day when a different hostel I booked in, turned out to be terrible, and did so much more then expected. This hostel was the best hostel I stayed at the whole time I traveled around Italy, and I am just so lucky I found it. Wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends