“Nothing fancy, no major complaints”

Grand Hotel Tiberio
Ranked #274 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed September 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for five nights. It is in the middle of a residential area but very clean. The breakfast was a hot and cold buffet that was nothing to brag about. The eggs were runny but the bacon was fair. The bakery products were cold and the juice and coffee came out of a machine. One day I just asked the server to just make me some coffee! The king size bed was two twin beds pushed together and held together with king size linens. The bed was very low to the floor with only two pillows. The bathroom had hot water instantly with a good shower head. The small plasma tv screen had only three English speaking channels. The front desk had no stamps to mail letters. Two of the five days I was there the front desk had no Euros to exchange. An ATM is down the hill less than a block away. The exchange rate changes daily, but the day I got 150 Euros out of my American bank account, I looked on the internet to see that $215 was what it was exchanged for. I saw no ice machines, but the lobby bar attendant would give me ice nightly in a bowl. I broke a glass on my carpet and help to clean up came immediately. The elevators are small but quick. Two computers in the lobby were free with a code from the front desk. Taxis came quickly. When requesting a taxi, we never got one that accepted credit cards or with a driver who understood English. One of my favorite tips to friends traveling outside the US is to stop by the front desk, pick up a business card with the hotel's name/address and always show it to the taxi driver who may not speak English.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Isky

Reviewed September 15, 2011

I only WISH I'd read the warnings about this hotel before I agreed to stay here with friends! The negative reviews are dead on accurate descriptions of what we encountered. There is virtually nothing good about it (except maybe the lobby, which was new and modern looking and tricked us into thinking the rest of the hotel experience would be good quality). First - not chronologically, but in my own mind as far as level of outrage - the staff yelled at me when I tried to book our shuttle back to the airport. Yes, you read that right - *yelled* at me. Why on earth would a concierge yell at a customer is beyond me, but he raised his voice and tried to dismiss me from his presence while I was explaining the number of people in the shuttle that were travelling together. I should add that I had had an earlier experience with the front desk staff, when I asked about a sign in the lobby for a tour and was dismissed and had to go back twice before I was even able to get a brochure. We were given directions to what they claimed was the closest mass transit bus (it is really inconveniently located and far away from anything touristy), which was wrong - and fortunately a kind passerby led us to the correct stop. That said, only later did we accidentally learn that there is a train right around the corner that took us directly into the city and apparently did not charge.

As already mentioned, the hotel is not conveniently located - and the hotel is situated in an area with lots of graffiti and I spied a private security guard stationed on the street just around the corner. Not a good sign - especially since our taxi driver at Roma Termini had to look on the map twice and ask other taxi drivers where the place was because it was so far out of the way.

While I'm not sure if the area is unsafe (the locals were at least more courteous than the staff at this place), I have a feeling it may be. In fact, an American woman using the computer in the lobby said that her purse was stolen while she was sitting there. My friends were in the lobby when it happened and heard the desk staff tell her that the many mounted hotel cameras in the lobby did not work and that she should report it to her embassy ... they also told her not call the local police, and would not do so themselves. That is ridiculous ... especially since the front staff do not stand at the lobby desk and only come out of their office (with blinds closed) when someone approaches the desk (and I should mention they do so with the friendliness and helpfulness of a desert cactus). Unless they have been trained in the art of clairvoyance, there is no way they cannot have cameras and still be ready to leave their cloistered room to address hotel guests as they told the victimized woman.

Later, as I understand it, they reversed their story and told this same woman that the cameras actually did work, but it wouldn't matter because allegedly in Italy they don't admit video taped evidence of crimes in court. I mean, please ... are they kidding? Clearly, they severely underestimate Americans' intelligence if they think they could say something that completely stupid and expect us to believe it. Even if that was true, it would still help the police determine the identity of the thief victimizing their own guests, so how could that matter if they weren't afraid of the police seeing what might be revealed on those tapes? So, while I won't definitively say that that means they either know, or are complicit, with thieves in the hotel roaming free and with impunity, feel free to make your own assessment ...

Also, the alleged "shuttle bus" into the city, which might be the only mitigating factor for this hotel being so far out of the way of anything a tourist might want to see, is - according to the hotel staff - perpetually booked. I can see trying to board a few minutes before the bus departs and not gettting on, but being told it is booked when trying to sign up over 8 hours beforehand? Ridiculous.

The food is completely unpalateable. We had the good fortune of staying in Firenze (Florence) before getting to this hotel, and so we had become accustomed to an included, yet quite good, free breakfast ... if you go to this hotel and eat this terrible included breakfast, please do not assume this is the kind of food you get in Italy! The "orange juice" was like some stale, 50 year-old left over rancid chemical Tang or something. The bread was stale and quite like styrofoam, the cheese and fruits were not good ... they even had low-quality biscuit-crackers (like Melba Toast) and a cheap knock-off version of Nutella - all similar to, but an obviously low quality version of, what all the other hotels offered. The first day we made the terrible mistake of trying to grab a quick lunch in the hotel restaurant - which was not included and for which we had to pay, and we were utterly disgusted by the taste and offended by the price! You can probably guess that the service was pretty slow and horrible too ...

About the room ... the electric teapot in the room has clearly never been cleaned and had a significant amount of mold inside of it, the beds were uncomfortable and there was literally a trickle of hot water - so, either you took freezing cold showers, or tried to improvise with an hour-long quasi-sponge bath. Given how hot and dusty Rome is, not having a decent shower is just ridiculous. My friend also discovered she had a rash on her arm after we left that hotel, and after reading about another trip advisor reviewer's experience regarding bed bugs, we are very worried as it would not surprise us if this were the cause of that rash and the source was Grand Hotel Tiberio. There was also a rancid sewage smell in our room toward the end of our three day stay, and we looked out of our window to find men doing construction work in direct sight-line of our window ... and practically right outside. I can only hope that the smell finds its origins there...

The other hotel amenity is the "free wi-fi in the rooms" which never worked in the room ... so, we were forced to use the computers in the lobby. As mentioned above, that clearly is just asking for trouble with the thieves.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT ever stay at this hotel! Upon checking out, I think I heard a tour guide from Trafalgar Tours checking her group in, and all I can say is I hope I'm incorrect - if this was the hotel I got for paying to travel with a tour group, I would be completely outraged.

Frankly, after looking back on the sum total of my experience, I simply cannot think of any good reasons to stay here. There really are no redeeming qualities, and I only regret that the horrible attitudes of the people at this hotel have now made my friends think that this is what all Romans are like (I am fairly certain that most - particularly the "yeller" were transpants from other countries, and not Romans) ... since my family is from Southern Italy, it breaks my heart to think that travelers will equate such a wonderful place with such truly awful people and facilities.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank 909traveler
Angelo_Tiberio, Hotel Manager at Grand Hotel Tiberio, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2011

If you have just read this review I want to answer simply by saying that 125 Guests (30%) rate us excellent and 182 Guests (43%) rate us very good, there must be a reason for it !!!

I’m sorry the Guest who wrote the above review did not enjoy the stay, it’s such long and accurate review that , I wish, He would come to talk to me directly about everything.

Little comment about the review:
1. I’m sure the Receptionist did not mean to yell at you … maybe sometimes when there is many people at the reception naturally a person will talk lauder than normal to communicate something, I’m sorry if you felt that he was yelling at you.
2. The hotel, as I have said in other replies to reviews, I think it’s in a good location for Rome, only 1.5 Km from Vatican City and 2.5 Km from City Centre. To visit Rome, besides our free shuttle service you can find metro in 900 meters, train in 50 meters, bus in 50 meters. So if you are used to use public transport it’s easy to get to all major attraction in Rome in few minutes.
3. The area where is located the Hotel is one of the best in Rome, the Balduina district, that is known because the Major of the city lives here and most of the important people. If you walk around Rome you realize ( very unfortunately) that there is graffiti everywhere, the security guard saw from the Guest is the security guard of the bank located just around the corner, every bank in Italy has one, and that is a value for the Hotel, because you have a bank with a security guard just around the corner.
4. What the Guest reports about an episode happened in the lobby about a purse stolen is not correct, we do have cameras and they work, we have called the local police but only the embassy can give you the documents to travel when you lose your passport that’s why we asked the Guests to contact immediately their Embassy. I also want to add that we provided free accommodation and meals to the Guests that had to stay one more night after the purse “disappeared”. We have not prove of what happened because the Guests were not in a area covered by cameras. The police saw the tapes but they did not found any relevant image to understand what had happened .
Everything else said it’s a personal opinion that I accept and I will analyze with all the staff to understand where we can improve and make the experience of all of You at the Grand Hotel Tiberio the best possible.
Thank you very much for the consideration and time to read my reply.

Happiness is along the path to your own reality, not someone else's ! Try to recognize your happiness when you arrive at it - don't be like the traveler who doesn't see the valley he is in, only the mountains that surround it !
Angelo

Reviewed September 12, 2011

The hotel itself was a little small with the kids, but clean and sufficient. They had an above ground swimming pool in their back yard which was very much like a person's family pool. My kids made good use of it and met other kids from around the world.
The problem is that while it is a 20-25 minute walk to the Vatican, it isn't near anything else, and the Rome metro is confusing, and you don't want to pay 20 euros for a cab one way. So in the end, we probably wouldn't stay here again, although the hotel and breakfast were fine.

Room Tip: I think the rooms are about the same. Nothing special.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank HBFFtraveler
Reviewed September 9, 2011

My family and I stayed at this hotel for my parent’s Anniversary. My step father works in Afghanistan. When they prepaid for our shuttle to the airport on the last day of our trip, the shuttle driver was over 1 hour late without an explanation. When he finally did show up and my parents were in the lobby, first the clerk called my step farther away from the bags and then he called my mother and I over before we had the opportunity to load up our and belongings. Then my mother's bag with all of her documents and expensive items, her medicine for her heart failure and cash was stolen right out of the Hotel lobby 2hr before departure.

NO one saw ANYTHING. The hotel staff REFUSED to call the police. They Claimed their security camera wasn't working. They rushed my parents to the US embassy and while we were there someone mysteriously knew to turn my mother's PASSPORT into the Embassy so they could leave to return to the US. Please, stay away from this hotel. This was an inside job. The employees at this hotel will watch you and try to rob you. The clerk had previously made an improper joke that my mom was the one who has the money to my step dad and then later my mom was targeted. Only her carry on was taken. None of the other luggage was touched.

My step father Retired from the Airforce. My mother broke down and nearly had a heart attack because of this situation. They deserved better than this. PLEASE STAY AWAY! I love my parents. I'm writing this to warn others. My husband is Active Duty in the Navy. This is a warning for other American families, especially Military families.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Kenietta
Angelo C, Hotel Manager at Grand Hotel Tiberio, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2011

PEOPLE SOMETIMES ARE NOT FAIR ! GOD PLEASE BLESS MRS. KENIETTA !

This is the first time I’m very upset about a review, I’m sorry but I have to say that the above review is very unfair, offensive and defamatory …if this is a joke I don’t get it !

First of all the person who wrote the review (Mrs. Kenietta) did not stay at the Grand Hotel Tiberio, their parents, a really sweet couple, had an unfortunate episode the morning they were going to leave the hotel, the shuttle that was suppose to take them to the airport, booked from their daughter (Mrs. Kenietta) was 1 hour late, the explanation is that she booked a cheap transfer with a company who goes around the city collecting people …
Anyway, when the shuttle finally arrived, the receptionist called the Guests to advice them that the shuttle had arrived, the couple left their belongings unattended in the lobby to go to the front desk, when they returned back where they were seated the purse was disappeared with all the documents and airline tickets. That morning the lobby was full of people arriving and leaving the hotel … so anybody could have stolen the purse.
Mrs. Kenietta says that we did not call the police, THIS IS FAULSE, we did call the police and they found few hours later the documents on the street left from the person who stole the purse. We did rush the Guests to the Embassy because only the Embassy can provide you with documents to travel when you “lose” your passport.

WE DON’T MAKE JOKE TO STILL THINGS FOR OUR GUESTS, THIS IS RIDICULOUS !!!

We gave this sweet couple all the possible assistance, we gave them: free accommodation in a Junior Suite for 1 night as they had to leave the day after, and transportation to/from the Embassy and food during the meals …
I don’t know what to say .. we are obviously very sorry for the Guests, but it’s not fair what said from Mrs. Kenietta as we are absolutely not responsible for what happened.

Please, travel around the beautiful world with faith , a camera and a sense of humor !
Angelo

Reviewed September 4, 2011

We arrived for a four night stay. Got there late just as the restaurant/bar was closing. Was offered half a club sandwich at 9 euros and a heineken beer at 6 euros (outrageous).

Room not too bad for the price but there was no room service. Wifi internet was said to be free but it kept cutting out and the front desk staff first tried to convince me it was my computer. The same computer that worked with similar networks with no problem in Spain and Miami (I am a telecoms engineer). Finally they said they reset something on their router and it worked...only to cut out again the next morning. This continued to happen over the next few days until it came to the point where they said I was the only one complaining and refused to reset the modem (as they claimed to be doing) again (amazing).

Hot breakfast not too good. Bacon not cooked properly and eggs had a powdery look and taste. Had to settle for the fruit and rolls and cold cuts etc...which were not too bad. For dinner, my daughter ordered a well done steak...and it came to her with blood in it. After that,we ate out.

On the plus side, staff were helpful in giving directions about the hotel area and the city (trains etc...).

Overall I would have rated it an average hotel if not for the food and the Internet (which the front desk staff were clearly dishonest about).

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank trippervi
Reviewed August 31, 2011

First of all we would like to rubbish all the negative reviews about the hotel and staff. Ok some hotels are not up to expectancy for some people but this hotel is fabulous. We have not been away for six years and my husband booked this for our 5th Wedding/honeymoon as a suprise for me, so this was very special to us. After he told me i thought i would do some research and read some of the reviews and after I had i was in tears as some of them were absolutely awefull ie, rude staff,terrible food,disgusting rooms and worst of all BED BUGS!!!. Obviously with all of this I straight away emailed the hotel Manager Mr Angelo Celentano who asked me to read the overall reviews and not just the bad ones and assured us out stay would be perfect.
Mr Celentano you and your hotel and staff made our holiday, a lovely gesture of champayne for our anniversary was unexpected but so kind, the rooms were spotlessly clean and airey, the conditioning was on all night (much needed as it reached 99 degrees) and oyur staff were very helpfull and polite and funny. Breakfast was well, 5 star and plenty of it. We were spoilt by the size of the bed, it was huge and not one sign of anything sharing it with us,lol.Oh and go up to the roof top terrace, amazing veiws and so relaxing after a days walking and hot sun.
The area surounding the hotel was very quiet and you could walk to the Metro in 10 mins and everything is in walking distance if you wish to do so. fill up your water bottles for free at the various water fountaind dotted around, water is safe to drink and is ice cold which was a much welcome relieve. We found it cheaper to walk around on our own and nor with a guide and saved us lots of money wich you will get through like water. If you go to ST Peters DO get there about 7/7.30 am we did and had it to ourselves barr from about 70 people for an hour or so and were first up to the viewing point in the dome, be warned though the view is breath taking but its 750 steps to climb, worth paying an extra 2 Euros to pass the first 200 steps.Taxis, if you book a taxi to the hotel you will be charged straight off from where it had come from so it could work out very expensive, its cheaper to get the Metro and pay 4 euros foran all day metro/bus ticket or 1 euro to where you want to go on the metro.
All in all a very special and beautifull holiday thanks to my wonderfull husband for organising it and Grand Hotel Tiberio.
Final word, DO NOT be put off by the bad reviews, Ok, hotels cannot make everyone happy and I have stayed in a few I have not liked in the past but Grand Hotel Tiberio is one of the good ones, so go with confidence and enjoy every bit of your stay. Geri and David x

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Geri H

Thank You very much !

Reviewed August 29, 2011

the hotel was fab, great location, staff were very accomodating, the manager dropped us off at the football stadium on his way home!
pool was lovely to dip in at the end of the day.
Food was really nice and price was fine.
Room was tidy and clean, it was cleaned every day with new towels and toiletries.
Breakfast was such a choice! and all lovely.
would definately go back.
thanks for a brilliant holiday

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family