“Beware the Service Charge!”

Ristorante La Scuderia
Ranked #10,400 of 13,057 Restaurants in Rome
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trevi
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Came here for a pizza in the evening after having a larger lunch at another restaurant earlier in the day - La Scuderia was disappointing at best. The pizzas were obviously not a fresh base as the shape was so uniform (which you don't get if it's hand made by a proper pizza chef), and they were a little bit overdone, so a bit tough to cut through. Pleasant enough evening, as we had a table on the street, so it was a great atmosphere with all the evening tours strolling past. Main problem was when we asked for the bill - it came with a few figures written down on a piece of paper, which didn't give us a proper break down for the meal. The waiter who brought the bill also said service wasn't included. My husband went through it, but couldn't make sense of any of it, so asked the waiter to break down the detail - the staff hadn't realised my husband was Italian until this point, so it obviously came as a shock to them! On further discussion, it turned out that the service HAD been added to the bill, so they were trying to rip us off completely. We then got into a discussion with another waiter who said English people don't tip - he didn't realise I could speak Italian, so when I challenged him, he got very defensive. We didn't leave a tip as it was included - not the best place for a meal in Rome, won't be going back.

1  Thank Jane C

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Just up the street from the Trevi Fountain is this gem of a restaurant. Note: restaurant not trattoria (restaurants are a little more expensive). Grab a seat outside (you can have one inside but it spoils the ambiance of being in Rome) and enjoy the people watching as the masses walk to and from the fountain. It's Rome so "yes" occasionally you'll get a car or taxi driving down this pedestrian filled street.

When you arrive ask if Massimo is working. Hands down the friendliest and most attentive waiter in Rome. The food: Excellent!!! Pastas prepared to perfection. So many choices on the menu that you can't decide? That was my problem. Tell Massimo, and he will take the items you are struggling with and see to it that you get portions of each one on your plate. In my case it was a sampling of 3 different pastas. The portions by the way are extremely generous. Order a bottle of wine and let your eyes start to shine, this place is amore!! My wife and I had such a wonderful time we returned the next night for dinner. And yes, the experience was equally wonderful.

As with some of the reviews I've read on here, what can I say it's Italy and the Italians often treat people how they are treated. That is to say some of the Americans tend to walk with their noses in the air and don't treat the wait staff and help with the respect they deserve. Some people just shouldn't leave the States.

1  Thank adam_doc
Reviewed October 5, 2012

First they tried top seat us in front of the kitchen door. Then our favourite antipasto, artichoke, was not available. Instead of a certain choice of pasta they recommended a kind of Fettuccine with beef, which has shown to be the most expensive pasta in my life: 30€! They argued we should have asked the waiter for the price... but all the other dishes cost 10 up to 15€, so this was just a bad surprise. We were almost ready when they told us to change the table because a family needed or space. Amazing. We would never go there again.

3  Thank yutg
Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

As with prior reviewers, I completely agree: STAY AWAY! This restaurant is near the Trevi Fountain & so many tourists wander by. The Host (David) is overly, suspiciously charming & promises free appetizers or drinks to get people in the restaurant but then after just delivering items to the table charges double. We ordered what we thought was a €140 dinner (based on listed menu prices & what we thought were "freebies") and got a bill for €281!!!! The bill was not itemized, just a printed receipt showing the amount due. I was shocked and asked the waiter IN ITALIAN if the bill included the service charge. He all of a sudden acted like he couldn't understand me even though we had been communicating fine all evening. We then asked for an itemized bill & all we got was the hand written order sheet from the waiter but it showed that everything was upcharged double WITH A €25 service charge added.

What a bunch of con artists. We got duped.

5  Thank soujourner1
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We ended here by accident. I ordered a pizza which was ok but my husband was indecisive and the waiter suggested tagliatelle seafood with cherry tomatoes. When the dish arrived it was enough to feed a family of 5. The crayfish was tough and overcooked and the remaining shell fish ( prawns and clams) were empty... NO FISH. What a rip off. The dish was disgusting and they charged us 45 EURO for this dish!!!
When I complained he said he was offended. He was offended!!! What???
When I started to talk in Italian he shut up. We paidt the bill and got out of there very quickly. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. It has no atmosphere, poor service,the worst meal I have ever had in Rome.

3  Thank CDC1962