“Great location but . . .”
Review of Locanda Navona

Locanda Navona
Ranked #363 of 3,668 Rome B&B and Inns
Canada
“Great location but . . .”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Our reservation by e-mail was originally for rooms in Casa di Sara but Simone "upgraded" our rooms to the Locanda Navona. The rooms are bright and clean and the location of the B&B is very central to many historic monuments and a very lively area of Rome. Unfortunately, the air conditioning did not work for three of the rooms in our B&B area. We were traveling with another couple who experienced no air conditioning in 40 degree Rome temperature. Opening the windows was an option, but sleep was not, for the lively and loud neighbourhood. We tried contacting all three telephone numbers that were listed on the front desk to advise the owners but no one answered. The next morning we met Simone, explained our displeasure and he then informed us that he knew the a/c was not working properly. So, we asked for a refund. The best he could do was pay our taxi to the airport, so we accepted but stated that we would not be back again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Arizil_1
, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Locanda Navona, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Kind Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've been doing this job for a while now, and as soon as I met you, I knew you were nice people that would not give us trouble complaining about this and about that, and I haven't changed my mind so far.

We appreciate very much your honesty, you aknowledge the beauty and the cleanness of our rooms, as well as the wonderful location.

I've heard the A/C was not working properly from another guest that called me on the phone that same night;

even though we managed to start the A/C system again by giving him instructions on the phone, I immediatly called the A/C assistance; the A/C system was fixed the following day, the same you checked out.

I'm more than sure that you tried to contact us, on and on, as much as I'm sure I never received any call from you that night; my two other collegues confirmed they never received any call from you, nor had they found any lost call on their phones.

What I think it happened is that you simply misdialed the international prefix : "+39" has to be dialed as "0039"; some people disregard this, it can happen.

you thought you were calling us and you thought we didn't want to answer and of course assumed that we were not taking care of you as we have should.

As you can read from reviews on booking.com, a Guest aknowledge me for taking him to the hospital in Rome and waited there until he was discharged; and before taking him back to the B&B, I took him to a pharmacy to buy the medicines he needed.

You can read in another review that I received a call from a Guest, a mom with her kids, she called me from the airport when they found they were forgot their passports in the room they just left :
even if it was Sunday early morning, I left my family, rushed to "Casa di Sara", rescued their passport and brought them at the airport in time for their flight.

My mobile phone is turned on every day, 24 hours a day, simply because I work with it, and it would be a very stupid thing to turn it off or not answering the calls for two simple reasons :

I would miss booking enquiries and at the same time I would not be able to help our Guests, which is an important part of our job.

Why in the world should we would turn down for whatever reason a phone call from you ?
Or maybe do you think we treated you in a different way because we didn't like you or whatever?

After upgrading your Standard Room to a Superior Room for no other reward but a smile on your faces?

You said you are not coming back again, and it's ok, but let me say again that we are sorry that you spent an horrible night in the heat of Roman Summer with no A/C; please believe this.

I paied the cab for you to express my regret in a concrete way, but to agree and refund you was the same thing to admit that what you were saying was true :
that we received your calls but we ignored them on purpose, and that is simply not the truth.

I wish you all the best

sincerely,

Simone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Jena, Germany
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Locanda Navona is a small hotel very close to Piazza Navona. All famous locations of Rom are in less than 20 minutes walking distance.
+ Located in the center of Rome's tourist features
+ Clean and lately renovated guest rooms
+ Very friendly service
+ 3 Cafes to choose from for breakfest, including one directly at Piazza Navona

+/- Many Bars, Cafes, Restaurants in the neighborhood. While this is a nice feature the downside is a constant noise through the morning hours. Around 4 a.m. the city cleaning starts tidying up causing noice from devices.

We enjoyed staying at this hotel very much. If you visit Rom planning to see many of it's famous landmarks this is a perfect place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Monika J
Cape May, New Jersey
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed at this B&B during the first week of April 2012 and loved it. The owners, Antonio and his son Simone went out of their way to assist us with our needs (our luggage were delayed). The location is perfect --- away from the crowds of the Piazza Navona but yet easily accessible (2 min walk). It's on a cobblestone street with lots of good restaurants, gelato shops and other stores, a supermarket is actually right next door. Antonio was kind enough to suggest a few excellent places for dinner. Breakfast was supplied via two nearby eateries (basic but good). This B&B is fairly new and all appliance were likewise in good condition. The room was cleaned daily with towels and other amenities supplied. Most of the major attractions are within walking distance from this B&B. It is the perfect place to stay --- friendly service, great location and clean rooms. We can't wait to go back. PS: This B&B is not staffed 24 hours a day so make sure that you inform the owners if you are arriving very early or very late so that they can make arrangements to check you in. After that everything is a breeze. Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Caravaggio Room. Has nice street views and is noise-proof.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Pks88
Jerusalem
Reviewed April 18, 2012

location- couldn't be better. trust me.
room- clean,new, comfortable bad, elegant pictures, great shower!!
service- great. nice people that are willing to help all the time. ( make sure you learn some Italian words..most of the people in Italy don't really speak English. )
night life- you wont get bored..it's all there, as you walk down to the street.
location tip- at night, cross the river to Trastevestre. a short walk to find great bars, restaurants, and more.
breakfast- just what we needed, at a cafe near by. you could chose between two places: a cafe downstairs or a cafe on piazza Navona. ( 1-2 min walk )

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rebecca I
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Fabulous location, large, clean room and wonderful service. We had originally booked into the Casa di Sara but were moved due to renovations in the tower. We were not disappointed. Antonio welcomed us warmly and helped us settle in. The room was large and immaculately clean. Maid service was daily. The bed was king size and very comfortable. Antonio was keen to recommend local restaurants which was a great help especially on the first night as we arrived in the dark. All his recommendations were great. As for the location - it couldn't be better! 20 mins stroll to the Vatican and Colloseum, 10 mins to the Trevi fountain and 1 minute to the beautiful, vibrant Piazza Navona. Perfect! The one thing we would say was that it could be tricky to find but locals are more than keen to help. Breakfast was served in the bar next door, was beautifully fresh and served by a very friendly barman who provided a great service. We would give excellent for all categories except that it was a bit noisy outside from time to time. But Rome is a city that never sleeps and if you are out enjoying the sights, it won't be a problem. Top tip, ask Antonio about a taxi to the airport - much cheaper than the one we paid into Rome.

Room Tip: We were in the Boticelli room which had views over the side streets and a great big bed! There aren...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cdh67
Florida
Reviewed December 4, 2011

After doing hours of research on B&Bs in Rome, I decided to stay at the Locanda Navona. It was a good decision and one you should consider. As others have pointed out, the location is fantastic. The rooms are nicely renovated and spacious. There was never a problem with hot water. The owner, Tonino, is gracious, knowledgeable, and kind. He actually walked with me to a nearby restaurant he recommended. It was excellent, as were several other suggestions he made. Guests receive a voucher for breakfast at a nearby restaurant. I would have given the Locanda 5 stars, except that breakfast wasn't up to par for everything else that the B&B had. Tonino and I talked about this while I was there, and he plans to make a change. But, overall, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: I chose the Caravaggio, which was very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Sheri12
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed October 29, 2011

This place is impossible to beat in terms of location - about 50 yards (we actually timed it - 2 minutes s-l-o-w stroll) from Piazza Navona and still part of the lovely cobbled medieval lanes that are buzzing with life, over which you can look from your window. The room and bathroom were immaculate in terms of cleanliness and finish, and perfectly serviced each day of our short stay, and everything was as promised - no unpleasant surprises.
The best thing, however, was the time and interest that Antonio and his son Simone (who has excellent English) showed right from before booking (Simone even phoned me in Ireland) 'till after we got home was nothing short of spectacular, and they paid us a lovely gesture when they found out that we were there for our 10th wedding anniversary - being Irish we can tell when hosts are faking it, but these are genuinely decent people. Also, Antonio's recommendations regarding restaurants (he knows to avoid the touristy tat) were spot-on.
We've been all over the world as independent travellers, both as a couple and as a family, and this place is up there with the very best of them.
- Victor