“Wonderful Hotel”

The First Luxury Art Hotel
Ranked #34 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay. The hotel entry and lounge are very pretty and perfectly kept, the room was very nice, and the hotel is in a terrific location. Staff was very cheerful and helpful. The restaurant in the hotel is amazing. In fact, we had one of our two favorite meals here during our one week stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank MegTravels19
Giuseppe F, General Manager at The First Luxury Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed our hotel and its strategic location and that you have had a wonderful dining experience in our michelin starred restaurant. Morely we are happy to hear that our staff has been very helpful to you during the stay.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back at The First the next time your travel plan brings you to Rome.

Sincerely yours,

Giuseppe Falconieri

Reviewed November 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for a mid week break. We chose it for its location and the reputation of its restaurant. On so many levels this hotel delivers impressively. The staff are super helpful and welcoming, the location is excellent, the decor is stylish and modern and the views from the roof terrace of the whole of Rome are fantastic. The Michelin star restaurant delivered a truly memorable and delicious dinner. The were however a couple of niggles. We found the suite too warm and you can't use air conditioning at this time of the year in Rome. We also found that noise from the dining room travelled too easily into our suite (but in all fairness there was a large function being held on that night). Meriem on reception was so helpful and friendly and is a great ambassador for the hotel. Niggles aside we would stay here again but would ask for a room higher up and at the back or side of the hotel.

1  Thank J B
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 night. The location is great in a side street close to Piazza del Poppolo. The hotel is beautiful. The service is outstanding.
We booked a junior suite and were upgraded without asking to a full suite. The room was spacious and had great views of Rome. Th bathroom was big. The bed, an important thing for me, was soft and the pillows plush.
The room was very clean.
We were greeted with small cookies and a bottle of Prosecco.
The hotel is very close to many tourist attractions and is close to a subway station.
Dario in the front desk was very helpful and gave us great recommendation regarding restaurants.
Will stay here the next time we come to Rome.

Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

The First is the best boutique hotel in town. It is near Piazza del Popolo, where all the shops are and just a few minutes walk from the main touristic attractions which gives you the opportunity to enjoy Rome like a local Roman.
The hotel has various Art elements (paintings and sculptures) which makes it very special (and apparently they change regularly), including in your room.
The design itself of the hotel is modern but cosy, decorated with style. I stay in a Junior Suite but I have also visited a suite with a Jacuzzi on the balcony which I recommend even more if you go to Rome during the summer season!
The amenities are the best: a box with multi-cables to charge your phones/laptop... which I found amazing, a map of Rome with discounts are various partners, coffee machine in room (always a good time for an espresso in Italy!)...
The bathroom is large and all in marble, very stylish and the best is huge and very confortable.
The room service was absolutely amazing: great food, fresh product, large portion, nice service, very good value for money. Don't miss the breakfast which is a buffet and they can prepare anything else you want, like eggs benedicts (my favorite). The restaurant All'Oro has a Michelin star and offer a remarkable cuisine with fresh and local ingredient. The Chef revisits the traditional meal with a special twist that make them unique and the best way to experience the Roman food!
Overall the hotel is the best boutique hotel in Rome. I recommend to book in advance since they only have 29 rooms in total.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I stayed at The First Hotel for five nights. I was in a Junior Suite at the rate of 288 euros per night plus taxes (another 32 euros per night).

First, let me write about the positive aspects of the hotel. It is in a great central location a few minutes walking distance from Piazza di Spagna and Piazza Novona. The hotel has a modern decoration with modern art (paintings) found throughout the hotel. It also has a one Michelin star restaurant (All'Oro). The room I had was spacious with a king size bed situated two steps higher than the rest of the room. There were three bookshelves built into the walls with about 100 books that gave the room a homey feeling. The room furnishings were clean, but not luxurious. The bathroom was also of comfortable size and it had a jacuzzi.

Now, let me tell you about my other observations that resulted in this negative review. The room was way too hot. The temperature had been set to 25 degrees Celsius (equivalent to 77 degrees Fahrenheit) and it could NOT be changed! I talked about this with Jubail. First he told me it could be changed by three degrees, but he couldn't do it. He suggested that I should open the window, which is amazing for a supposedly 5-star hotel. I did open the window, but that made me subject to the elements, and it was still hot with the heavy comforter on the bed. The next night I got a blanket, and the third night I used the blanket and my light jacket on top of it! Leaving the window open means you occasionally get noise from the street. Particularly bad was the noise from street cleaning vehicles one night and trucks that empty recycling bins. Emptying those recycling bins made a really loud sound. AFter the first night, I also spoke with Dario at the Front Desk. He explained how the Italian government has a regulation that hotels have to have a temperature of 25 degrees Celsius in winter time, and how the hotel would get a citation if they do not follow that regulation. I told him what he was saying was no excuse for not giving any control over the temperature to the guests. They can be compliant wit the rules by providing temperatures as high as 25 degrees, but they should let the guests choose whatever they are comfortable with as opposed to getting a fixed 25 degree setting. In short, I never got a good night of sleep in the five nights I stayed at this hotel. This made me very sleepy and not as functional as expected in the business meetings I had to attend for four days.

I do not understand why some hotels in Europe still think it is OK not to have a wall- or ceiling-mounted shower in the bathroom. A hand shower is not a replacement for a wall or ceiling shower. There was a bracket on the wall next to the jacuzzi, to which you could attach the hand shower. But the bracket was at 60cm (2 feet) height from the bottom of the jacuzzi. It was very awkward to take baths. I should add that I just read a June 2012 review for this hotel that someone had complained about the shower, and the hotel management had promised in a reply to the review that they were going to install brackets for the hand showers at a reasonable height. Well, 18 months later, they haven't done it! Forget about a jacuzzi; give me a real shower!

The room had a Nespresso machine, but I was very disappointed when I found out that they charge 2 euros for each Nespresso coffee capsule. I believe that is VERY CHEAP when you are paying 320 euros per night. I have been to several 5-star hotels that had Nespresso machines or equivalent in their rooms, but they would never charge for the coffee capsules. The Management at the First Hotel needs to learn what it takes to be a 5-star hotel.

The breakfast at the hotel was OK, but not nearly as good as what I have had at other 5-star hotels. First, there is no eggs and omlette stand, and you have to order what you want, but they don't have all the ingredients one is used to, such as red/green peppers, mushrooms, parsley/other herbs, etc). You are also expected to ask for orange juice. They would then bring you freshly squeezed juice (from not very sweet oranges) in a small glass, which means you need to ask for another one or go thirsty! In general, there is not sufficient variety of cold cuts and fresh fruits. And there are no cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, and other greens to make a salad. I suggest the Management at First go stay at a few 5-star hotels in different countries to see what kind of breakfast one gets in those hotels.

I did not have a meal at All'Oro, because the price for the dinner menu was 168 euros. With a couple of glasses of wine, coffee, and water, I am sure the bill would be above 200 euros. I am willing to pay that kind of price for a 2- or 3- Michelin star restaurant, but not for a one-star restaurant.

IN summary, The first Hotel claims to be a 5-star hotel, but it really isn't. I know one can do a lot better than the First Hotel, if one is willing to pay 300 euros per night in November.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank Savvy_Traveler_Int
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at The First Luxury Art Hotel when we stopped in Rome during our honeymoon. The room was clean, spacious, and nice. We also had a bottle of prosecco iced in our room when got in on our first night.

Location was great - good walking around on Via Corso and other side streets and the Spanish Steps and Palazzo Papolo were nearby. Trevi Fountain also a short walk.

Service was excellent from all staff we encountered. Great dinner recommendation one night when we didn't have an idea. Always ready to help.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Just returned from 3 nights in this hotel. The location is great with all the main sites no more than 20 mins away. There is also a metro station 5 minutes away. The staff are very friendly and help full, maybe a little over the top for me. Arrival was good the roof top bar was closed but they arranged for a couple of beers to be served on the roof - 16 Euros - friendly waiter but 20 Euros handed over, no change given - I am happy to tip but would rather have the option not assumption from the staff (this was not mentioned to the hotel, life's too short for 4 Euros). The room was a deluxe so the cheaper smaller rooms, nice furniture clean and well equipped with large walk-in shower and good toiletries. Lighting could be better it seems to be about mood! The room was small but once you moved the chair from the desk to one side you could move around a bit.

Now it seems November should be cold in Rome but it was 20+ degrees which was great outside the hotel but......inside the air conditioning was set to 27 degrees and could not be lowered. That is too hot for me I like to be able to cool down but when raised with them it seems they program the whole thing for the winter months. They offered a fan (noise) and in the end we had the window open most of the time that did mean noise and rain coming in. Call me old fashioned but I pay for air conditioning so I can choose the temperature but like the keeping the change I guess the Hotel knows best! Because of the air conditioning and because I was so disappointed with that I have rated low but if I was staying in Rome during a period that they had it working properly I would stay again but not when they fix it as a heater! oh and breakfast was great.

5  Thank itspog