“Don't go there - tourist rip off”
Review of Da Tudini

Da Tudini
Ranked #9,595 of 12,875 Restaurants in Rome
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Esquilino
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

It seemed a nice restaurant so we entered. As soon as we did, we asked if we could pay with credit card, two waiters said yes so we went and dined.
The food was good but nothing to blow your mind. We asked for an antipasti with prosciutto and mozzarella, we were charged €3 more because we asked for buffala (the menu didn't say this). The pizza was OK but the tiramisu was ordinary.
When the bill came, €40 I wanted to pay with my Visa. As soon as the waiter saw it he said "no no no we don't accept credit card, only cash". Now none of the two waiters knew about credit cards or what they've told me. So we paid in cash, no tip and we left. We were thinking of coming again, now never more.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

You should know that this place is not much visited by locals, but tourists that live in hotels near this restaurant. We went there on our first day, because we did not want to travel so far and a lot of people were inside. Though you could tell that those were tourists.

Positive things:
+ food was tasting alright, but not that good either

Negative things:
- you get offered bread, which you would assume to be a gift or sth. you get charged 2 € for it though
- service costs like everyone else pointed out
- service is slow, although rather friendly

Be sure to plan your restaurant visits in advice in rome! Otherwise you will end up in mediocre places like this, or even worst, in tourist traps that serve horrible food that is not traditional at all. Rome sure has huge problems that it should handle for the sake of its tourism.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

we were given complimentary bread and bread sticks and at the end of a mediocre meal given a bill which charged for
1. bread we didn't ask for or eat
2. service charge for bad service
3. extra charge for use of tablecloth and napkins

we were treated with disdain for daring to mention these things. The waiters apologised and referred us to a woman owner who pretended not to understand.
Dont eat here

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I have to eat gluten free, and this place served gluten free pasta! Friendly, good service, and everyone enjoyed their meals here. I was so happy to eat gluten free pasta with authentic Italian sauces....joy! The service was perfect, and they spoke pretty good english. I was very happy with this restaurant.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We came to this pizzeria because there was an opera performance next door. The menu seemed to be available in various languages like russian and japanese, therefore I assume this restaurant is targeted to tourists who visit there only once. Having read the reviews, I did not expect much from the place, yet they still managed to underwhelm.

My wife had a pepperone pizza, I had a napolitane. Both were probably the worst pizzas I've ever tasted. The final touch was achieved by old anchovis which had ripened in an open can for days. The service was quick and friendly until it came time to pay. It took ages to get the bill, the lady who did tallying the bills was not available at the desk and things got piled up quite badly until she finally appeared. In the bill, there was this item "pane", which we did not order nor eat. I complained about it, and she said it was for the napkins and stuff. Even that included, the final tally was still 4 euros more the sum of items. I think she said something about a service fee (which is illigal in Lazio, I believe). She got more and more aggrevated by my questions and finally reduced three euros from the sum, which still was not correct, but we were late for the opera already and I was tired of debating. I did not leave the tip I inteded.

My opinion is, that this place is a scam and they try to rip off tourists the best they can.

1  Thank Fastpaws