“Really Great Experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #118 of 3,734 Rome B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Really Great Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

My fiance and I recently stayed at I Capocci with family and utilized it as more of a vacation rental than a B&B since there were 6 of us.

The I Capocci was immaculately clean, in a great location (right near the Colosseum however still on a quiet residential feeling street), and ideal for what we were looking for which was for each pair traveling to have their own space however there was also an area in the kitchen where we could gather and enjoy our evenings with some wine and cheese from the local stores.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

I rarely write reviews, but after two weeks in Italy with two extremely different experiences I felt I should.

We were three twenty-something females travelling around Italy and had an amazing experience in all the places we stayed at - with exception of this one.

The pros: it is actually a beautiful property. The three of us had the whole downstairs with 2 double bedrooms (one with an en-suite bathroom and the other with a bathroom across the corridor from the room). The b&b is in a great location - less than 10 minute walk from colloseum. And there was a great wine bar/bookshop close to it with a Sicilian bartender who makes the most amazing drinks.

The cons: Despite informing Guido of our arrival time, we were made to wait around 30 minutes before we could get in to the property. We were also informed we had internet downstairs (separate from upstairs) but the one downstairs only worked for one of us.

After we checked in we were told we had to pay the full amount upfront and in cash. This usually isn't a problem, but I wasn't informed of that when booking and assumed like in the previous places we stayed could pay upon departing. We did not have the full amount on us and Guido did not budge and insisted we paid upfront and was even going to walk us to a cash machine so he could get all of his money. My friend and I found a cash machine, but only gave him half and said we'd pay the balance when we left. He wasn't too happy with that but eventually agreed that we could put the balance in an envelope before we left, as he wouldn't be able to coordinate time with us. The night before we left I found an envelope slid under the door reminding us to pay off the balance.

The morning we were leaving, 30 minutes before the check out time of 10am, Guido practically kicked us out. One of us was still getting ready and it turns out he had a new set of guests which were staying downstairs. So while the rooms were still not prepared and one of us was still getting ready, he takes our suitcases upstairs, brings 2 sets of new guests downstairs and takes the keys from us.

A side-note: breakfast wasn't at the b&b but at a nearby hotel (for a buffet) or cafe (for a typical Italian breakfast). We never tried the hotel, but we weren't impressed with the breakfast from the cafe.

We might be the exception to the rule, and others who stay might have a great experience but I felt it was only right to share. Just so others are prepared in case they choose to stay here.

Choose this place for its location, but I'm sure there are better places within the same vicinity for a better price with better treatment.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
icapocci, Owner at I Capocci, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear guests,
thanks for your review. We consider every feedback as a gift and be sure we will make good use of it.
I am really sorry that you did not fully enjoy our hospitality. You can find plenty of positive testimonials and confirmation of our good records in all websites we are listed on (e.g.: FLIPKEY, AIRBNB, BBPLANET).
I think there have been a series of unfortunate circumstances that contributed to this negative outcome. I added few comments and explanations below:
You indeed had to wait some minutes for my arrival at the appointment. There is no excuse for it, in your case traffic in Rome catch me badly and I truly apologize.
We offer free of charge WIFI internet connection. We have installed two networks in the apartment in order to ensure our guests can always benefit from this service and we cannot explain the problems you mentioned. I wish you could tell us while you were there.
Probably you did not notice, but the information on payment terms (cash at check in) was clearly indicated in booking confirmation message dated February 21, 2012.
It is general rule for all hotels of any level to get a guarantee at check in. This is normally achieved through an inprint of credit card, but we are a small family business and do not have access to this payment tool, thus we needed cash.
You did not have the required cash and I offered as a courtesy to walk you to a cash dispenser nearby. Given that you could not retrieve the whole amount, I then accepted a delayed payment with expectation that you would have done it next day. Few days later, the night before your departure, I left an envelope just to facilitate it.
Check out was agreed at 10.00. We are normally very flexible, but in May we are fully booked and we needed to change over the rooms for next guests. I knocked at the door at 10.30, 30 minutes later that agreed time, not 30 minute earlier. I can ensure it as the cleaning personnel never arrives before this time. I must suppose there was confusion between Italian and UK time which is one hour earlier. Next guests were there just for registration and were not supposed to get the room before 14.00. Their presence was not at all an element of time pressure.
Breakfast is served indeed at one of two carefully selected locations nearby. We offer a choice in order to better serve guests with different habits. Because of the offering of salty food, we normally suggest guest from UK or US the one you unfortunately did not try.
Net, I hope that everything has been clarified now and I hope we will have another chance to host you in the future and demonstrate our quality of service.
Kind regards
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

We recently stayed at I Capocci on the advice of friends, and we were glad we did. It is in a nice area, with plenty of small shops and restaurants, and does not seem swarming with tourists, but it is still a short walk to the colliseum, and mere steps from the subway, with easy access to all of Rome. We walked here from Roma Termini train station in about 10 minutes.
The B&B is kept spotlessly clean, smells fresh, and offers 3 small but fully equipped rooms, with equally small but lovely bathrooms. It has been recently renovated with care and attention to detail, and keeps the comfort of guests in mind. Beds are comfortable, linen feels expensive, and towels are thick!
The owner was not on site, except when we arrived, but is friendly, professional and knowledgeable, and ready to answer any questions by phone or email. We recommend this B&B wholeheartedly!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple