“Time travelling in Rome”

Le Domus Romane di Palazzo Valentini
Ranked #22 of 1,748 things to do in Rome
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed October 1, 2012

When touring archaeological ruins, have you ever wished you could visualize the site in its original glory? If so, Le Domus Romane di Palazzo Valentini is the museum for you! We discovered this relatively new attraction thanks to its #1 rating on TripAdvisor, and it did not disappoint. It is the most effective use we've seen of modern multimedia to create a “time travel” experience.

Advance reservations are normally required, since tours are limited to a small size and are presented in various languages throughout the day. However, we were walking by early in the morning and found that we could get in immediately if we wished to take the French tour (not our first language). We thoroughly enjoyed the experience and learned a lot despite perhaps missing a few linguistic nuances.

As we were guided on plexiglass walkways over the ruins, audio explanations were complemented by computer graphics and laser lights that rebuilt the excavations before our eyes as they would have looked in their original splendor. Human guides are present throughout to answer questions. There are also transitional rooms where many of the original artifacts are displayed. At the end of the tour, we were ushered through a “secret passageway” out to the base of Trajan’s Column, the only place on this tour where photos are allowed.

5  Thank knightspirit

Reviewed October 1, 2012

By going on this tour, I viewed other Roman ruins with new eyes. The tour gave so much background information and the ability to "see" how things once looked through the multi media presentation. When I went to other ruins, I would apply this new knowledge and recall the "visions" I had experienced at Le Domus. And the additional information about Trajan's Column was an unexpected pleasure. We walked by this column so many times while in Rome, and after this experience I had to stop and really stare each time we went by. Overall, an amazing visual experience, a fabulous teaching tool, and a great opportunity to really appreciate the history of the area. I highly recommend Le Domus. You will be so glad you went. Book early.

2  Thank SuperTouristaOne
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Wonderful multimedia museum that you should visit after you have already seen the basic sights in Rome.Small groups.Must book in advance.

2  Thank tolba
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I first read about this attraction on trip advisor and I can only say how very pleased I was I went. It is a stunningly good interactive experience and a must see for anyone. It is the architectural remains of the original Roman house (or Domus) on the site and is truly stunningly presented. It's a bit odd and very disorienting walking over glass floors, but well worth it. At the end of the tour there is an explanation of Trajans column as well, very interesting.

The Palazzo is quite easy to find, go to the Victor Emmanuel monument, and across the road to Trajans column and walk down the alleyway leading on to the column, you will find a signpost there, when you reach the main street turn right as you are actually walking down the side of the Palazzo. Go in the main entrance, which will probably have a lot of police around as it appears to be a police headquarters. When we went there was some kind of function going on and it was not obvious where we should go. The entrance to the Domus Romane is in the ground floor courtyard. If taking the english language tour, it is essential to book as there are only 15 places and only one english language tour per day. I must say the people in the entrance area are not the friendliest, but the tour guide was very nice. There are quite a lot of stairs so not really suited to anyone with mobility difficulties.

In the upstairs courtyard, there are loos and a cafe, we didn't eat there but it looked o.k.

I honestly can't recommend this tour too highly.

3  Thank LJC1
Reviewed September 28, 2012

very cool and suggestive i loved the atmosphere of domus valentini. loved so much the exibition... a bit difficult to find but worth every dollar.... (or euro!!)