“Q: How do you say "tourist trap" in Italian? A: Caffe Sant'Anna”
Review of Caffe Sant Anna

Caffe Sant Anna
Ranked #10,450 of 12,875 Restaurants in Rome
Neighborhood: Vatican / Borgo
Neighborhood: Vatican / Borgo
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I wish I'd checked Trip Advisor first, though perhaps there are no great options two blocks from St. Peter's.

I got too cold waiting outside for my family to emerge from the Vatican, so I ducked in here, took a seat and ordered a gelato, medio. The family shows up, and the waiter suggests cioccolata calda--- perfect!

Until we get the bill-- €65. For five hot chocolates and two scoops of ice cream.

My bad.

Unlike the other reviews, however, I found the food fine-- the gelato was good, and the cioccolata calda was great.

1  Thank Emkayess2

Reviewed October 31, 2012

After a very bad experience in a local restaurant we went here for desert. No problems with quality of food but it was very very expensive. €6.50 for a small pastry!!!!

1  Thank JustinW86
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stopped for coffee and cakes here with two kids. We left disgruntled and €60 lighter. The cakes weren't even nice, the staff apathetic. The couple next to us got stung for €24 for two coffees and a bottle of water.
The worst value for money of anywhere we went to in Rome

3  Thank Rob18
Reviewed June 26, 2012

These people completely take advantage of tourists at the Vatican. There are no prices on anything in the food line and by the time you get to the end you get a bill for twice what you would expect. Four of us for just pizza and salad was over $110.00.

1  Thank Mike W
Reviewed May 24, 2012

On a recent (and first) trip to Rome, my partner and I visited the Vatican museum on a Friday evening (if you can catch one of the Friday evenings it's open, it's a great option - Pre-book = hardly any queue!)

We hadn't eaten beforehand so we were pretty hungry. When we came out we headed back round to the taxi rank at St. Peter's, we opted for one of the closest, open restaurants. Unfortunately for us, Cafe Santa Anna caught our eye. I should have listened to my instincts when I saw that, for what seemed like a decidedly average place, they were still charging 6 Euros for a bottle of beer. No... After a day of walking and aching feet, we ploughed on;

Pasta was average, extra meatballs were luke warm and not particularly tasty, garlic bread was at least 2-3 days old and a pretty ugly price tag. Even though they advertised 'cover charge included' - Yes, it was roughly calculated as 15% (it's seperate on the bill) and the waiter had the nerve to highlight the bill didn't include a tip!

I'm embarrased to say we didn't do a u-turn and walk straight out, but my optimsm prevailed (even though the place was empty) and my feet were shouting for a break. If you read this review, remember the name of this place and avoid it, no matter what your feet tell you!

1  Thank Dave L