“All style but no substance” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gran Melia Rome

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Gran Melia Rome
Ranked #85 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
London, United Kingdom
“All style but no substance”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I created a tripadvisor account just to leave this review. We went to Rome as part of our honeymoon and decided to stay at the Gran Melia because of the amazing experience we had at the ME hotel in London on our wedding night (Same company). We paid for our night at Gran Melia well in advance (in April so 3 months in advance!) and made sure to tell the team that we would be staying for our honeymoon.

We were promised a special night (best room in the category booked, as well as their honeymoon amenities). Now we DID get an upgrade and we DID eventually get a bottle of Prosecco and some strawberries but we felt like a burden on the staff. By no means were we made to feel special. On three occasions we had to go down to reception and ask what the 'honeymoon amenities' were and only on the third try did we get any kind of answer with no apology at all for the delay (we eventually got the bottle about 2 hours before check-out the next day!).

On arrival to the hotel, our bags must have taken about an hour to arrive to our room with no explanation as to why it had taken so long. Overpriced food, very poor WiFi and a shuttle that stops nowhere near the major stations or transport stops made our stay anything but special.

I am therefore giving this hotel 2 stars just because it is beautiful and Maria (customer service) finally gave us an apology for the bad service but only during check-out (kinda late don't you think!?).

Such a shame that their quality of service is not consistent across all of their hotels. You only get one Honeymoon!

4 Thank nbabatola
Maria A, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Rome, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the precious time spent in sharing your feedback about your recent stay at Gran Meliá Rome Villa Agrippina.

We highly evaluate our guests’ comments in order to constantly improve the level of service we strive to offer to our clients.

I wish to express once again my regret for your disappointment as to the short experience you had with us. I am particularly afraid because it was such a special occasion for you and your wife which I perfectly understand the high meaning of.

As already shared, having the opportunity of meeting your wife personally, I am extremely sorry since the inconvenient you experienced is certainly not reflective of our normal standards.
We do always pay so much attention to such special occasions, enriching them through little touches reflecting our RedGlove Service, aiming to make such moments really unique and unforgettable...
I do apologize if we failed at the occasion of your special event.

We do pride ourselves on our exceptionally high standard of service and I do sincerely hope you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience but you will offer us a chance to regain your confidence in our services.

You are right when you say that you only get one Honeymoon, but we would very much like to have the opportunity to let you live the experience you could not perceive during this stay and that you absolutely deserved.
Should you decide to stay at Gran Meliá Rome Villa Agrippina for a future stay we would extend special arrangements which I would be extremely pleased to personally take care of.

In closing, may I thank you, once again, for taking the time to write. We are grateful for your support and do sincerely hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back at our Luxury Urban Resort in the future and transmit you the magic of the Eternal City...

At this regard, please consider myself at your complete disposal for any need.

Yours sincerely,

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Commack, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We visited Rome and stayed at the Gran Melia Rome. The Meiia chain of hotels is truly first class and this location happens to have it all in a quiet setting minutes from the major attractions. Beautiful pool area, modern lobby including bars/restaurants, rooms with every detail thought of and a short walk from the Vatican as well as Trastevere which is an area by the river with shopping and cafes and a river walk. If going to Rome stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a private garden.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Maria A, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Rome, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for sharing your opinions about your stay at Gran Meliá Rome Villa Agrippina.

We are happy to know that we were able to turn it into such a great experience, during which you could appreciate our facilities and above all our passion for service!

Looking forward to welcoming you back at our Luxury Urban Resort at the occasion of your future visit to the Eternal City...

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

The Gran Melia is a beautiful hotel no doubt. The front desk staff and the restaurant staff were very helpful and did everything to make us comfortable. The pool was a plus as it was 95 degrees in Rome every day we were there and an afternoon dip hit the spot. While I love the modern decor it was very unaccomidatimg to a traveler. There's just simply no place to put your things. Our room had two very small closets but no drawers. During our 6 days in Rome, we were living out of our suitcases on the floor. Also, the wifi DID NOT work. That was vital because we relied on it for keeping in touch with our kids back home. It shouldn't be advertised at all if it's not reliable. Other small things that would have made a difference would have been an iron, a hair dryer, fresh coffee mugs daily and replenishing the shampoo, conditioner, soap and coffee daily. There was also a reality show being filmed there during our stay and I found that incredibly annoying. The cameras, microphones and guys in sloppy jeans running around wearing headsets really was unnecessary and took away from the upscale feel of the hotel.
Overall the Gran Melia is a beautiful upscale hotel with a lot of great amenities and I enjoyed my time there very much. It just wasn't a perfect fit. I did throw my coin into the trevi fountain so when I return I will probably be looking for something a little more authentic closer to town.

1 Thank JoDale24
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the precious time spent in sharing your feelings about your recent stay at Gran Meliá Rome Villa Agrippina.

Our guests’ opinions are valuable for us to improve our services and help to reach our main goal: turning each journey into a real experience…

I am really sorry to realize that yours was not completely satisfactory as to some of our services, like expressed through your comments.

Please, be assured that the issues raised have been investigated and appropriate action has been taken, especially as regard to the WiFi connection, which is further improving in those specific areas of the Resort where it was weaker.
We are sure this will prevent any guests being similarly inconvenienced in the future.

I am sorry also for the discontent as to the inability of borrowing irons in the room, due to the Italian security law, like you were explained about.

We do pride ourselves on our exceptionally high standard of service and I do sincerely hope you will not miss the opportunity of coming back to our Luxury Urban Resort for your future visit to the Eternal City, since you threw a coin into the Trevi Fountain...

We would very much like to have the opportunity to let you experience again our quite and amazing property while keeping enjoying the magic of such a unique city in the world.

In closing, may I thank you once again for writing.
We do always appreciate our guests' support as a meaningful tool to constantly improve.

Hoping to have the pleasure of personally welcoming you back soon, please do not hesitate to contact me for any need.

Yours sincerely,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed at the Gran Melia for 3 days May 31 to June 2 and we had a great time. The front desk was very helpful. They would tell us the different attractions to go to and would show us where it was on the map. I enjoyed the Breakfast buffet. The bed was comfortable. I wish there was an iron in the room and when taking a shower there should be some holders to put your soap or shampoo on.I had to put my shampoo and soap on the floor in the shower. We had a great time at the Gran Melia and a memorable time in Rome.

Room Tip: I hear the higher floors are better for wii fi. I stayed on the 5th floor and it worked great. We st...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sheila270
Maria A, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Rome, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for your kind feedback about your recent stay at Gran Meliá Rome Villa Agrippina.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your experience and appreciated our staff professionalism and warm attitude.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon in the Eternal City...

Dublin, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Our family visited in July and when we looked at a map it didn't seem so isolated but when we arrived we could see that it sat on top of a hill and was very isolated which made exploring Rome difficult without a taxi. They say they offer shuttle service but it was useless to us because the hours were very limited. Also, they claim to have wifi in the rooms. Not true! It never worked! I had to go the lobby every time I wanted to log in! The decor is super modern so not very warm. The showers are completely surrounded by glass walls so no one has ANY privacy! With the lack of privacy, lack of wifi in the rooms and the isolation from town my kids said they felt like they were in prison! Plus the food and drink prices were much higher than average but we paid since we were so far from other options. Would NOT go back or recommend if you're interested in exploring Rome. Perfect for anyone who wants to get away from Rome!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that actually gets wifi if you really want it. Perhaps some rooms actually have it b...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Crunchy247
Maria A, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Rome, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for the precious time spent in transmitting your feedback about your recent stay at Gran Meliá Rome Villa Agrippina.

Our guests’ opinions are valuable for us to improve our services and help to make your journey a real experience…

I was sorry to learn of your concern regarding WiFI connection in your rooms, which prevented you from living a satisfactory experience and I wish to express my regret for such discontent.
According to our internal policy and our aim to improve the quality of service we strive to offer, please, be informed that we shared your comments with the Management and the departments directly involved, promplty working on the rooms you were allocated.

In reference to the location of our Luxury Urban Resort, I am really sorry if you did not find it comfortable and in line with your expectations, since althought not exactly in the city center, it represents one of our strongest points.
Gran Meliá Rome Villa Agrippina is, in fact, located at the beginning of the Janiculum Hill, at walking distance from the famous area of Trastever, the Vatican and the other main sites of the City.

It is a shame that you could not even appreciate our courtesy shuttle to the city centre which timetable daily running from 10am to 6.30 pm is linked to the permission authorized by the Major to access to the city centre.

In closing, may I thank you, once again, for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention.

It would be a great pleasure for us to welcome you again in the future, if you reconsider to experience our property for your next visit to the Eternal City.

Newbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We travelled with friends to the Gran Melia last week for our wedding anniversary and had a great time. The Hotel is very well positioned above the river within striking distance of St Peters and a gentle stroll into the cafes and Bars around the Piazza Navona. The accommodation was great along with the pool and grounds and the staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. The rooms have the odd quirk ( A triumph of style over practicality in some instances, and I say that as a Hotel Architect) but they are comfortable, well maintained and spotless.
The only downside is the cost of food and drink on site which is staggeringly expensive and makes you think twice before ordering even a drink by the poolside in the early evening. I'm generally more than happy to pay a premium bearing in mind the location comfort etc but 26 euros for breakfast,13 euros for a glass of wine and 20 odd euros per course at the poolside restaurant (not the posh one) struck me as over the top. More reasonable prices would have at least meant that we considered eating in or at least having the odd early evening aperitif before hitting the town. We did have the breakfast which was quite good but not exceptional for the cost.Charging for the larger sunbeds and not providing at least a glass of prosecco with some of the hotels food and marketing promotions which they were keen for you to attend also smacked of penny pinching. However, as we ate out, it really didn't take the gloss off our trip and setting aside the gripes on food and drink we'd consider staying there again because of the location, the staff and facilities.

Room Tip: They all appear to be different sizes and layouts but facing the pool is a nice direction.
1 Thank Lebat
Dear Guest,

thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at Gran Meliá Rome Villa Agrippina.

We are glad to realize that you had a great time with us, enjoying your Luxury Urban Resort experience overall.

Looking forward to welcoming you and your friends soon again to let you continue the Eternal City experience ...

Lund, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Very happy with out stay at Gran Melia Rome and I would say that its the best hotel I been to so far. Nice big room (got upgraded for free), almost over helpful staff, great pool area and nice Italian breakfast. It’s located close to the Vatican in a calm area. Even though it’s located on the wrong side of the river you can walk to all the big attractions. Would definitely recommend Gran Melia.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

thank you for choosing Gran Meliá Rome Villa Agrippina for your stay in Rome.

We are happy to learn that you lived a pleasant experience and we do look forward to welcoming you back soon in our Luxury Urban Resort.