“Best Vacation Ever” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #86 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Rutherford
“Best Vacation Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I cannot say enough about the incredible service and excellent hospitality we received from the Gran Melia staff. This was the absolute best vacation my daughter and I have been on thanks to the convenient location and staff if the hotel. I highly recommend the Gran Melia.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Sfacch
Maria A, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Rome, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for choosing Gran Meliá Roma Villa Agrippina for your holiday in unique Rome...

We are extremely happy to realize that you fully enjoyed it, appreciating our facilities and above all our staff professionalism, finally turning your styay into an unforgettable experience!

Looking forward to receiving you back as soon as possible to let you keep experiencing the magic of the Eternal City...

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cologne, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

We wanted to really splurge out and therefore booked a premium room including red level service. Unfortunately the hotel could not meet our expectations and in the end we were quite disappointed.

Of course the design of the hotel is really nice and the location is wonderful. But it still seems to me that all the people giving a good recommendation here have never been to a good five star hotel or do not care about value for money at all!

We stayed at Gran Melia for two days in April and experienced the following annoyances:

-They let us wait for 2 hours with the check inn, telling us the whole time that it can take only 10 more minutes.
-The staff tries to be super nice but does not make a very professional impression and is very hectic. Melia does not seem to invest in the education of its employees. For example during breakfast there are more staff than guests which run around terribly disorganized and create an atmosphere like a bazaar.
-When we finally got the room it was cleaned only in a rush and the mini bar was not checked (some half empty bottles in it). I told the reception but they did not do anything about it for the whole time we were there.
-All services including the restaurant and bar are ridiculously expensive. It’s ok to pay more at a five star hotel but an espresso for example costs 500% inside Gran Melia of what it costs just outside;
-Whenever I asked which services are included in the red level package I got only very vague answers and I constantly had the feeling of being ripped off.
- For being brand new the hotel is not in a very good condition. There are many spots were you see that maintenance is required soon.
-The spar is nice but not nearly as exceptional as they advertise it. Just recently I stayed at a three star hotel with a much better spar.
-What they call a gym is not more than a small room with very bad ventilation in which a couple of sport equipments are cramped together.
-Even the premium room is pretty small.

Each issue alone might not be much of a deal but taken together and considering that I paid two times the price of a comparable five star hotel, I can not recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Johannes187371
Maria A, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Rome, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reporting your feedback regarding your stay at Gran Meliá Rome Villa Agrippina.

We do highly evaluate our guests’ comments in order to constantly improve the level of service we strive to offer to our clients and your observations are really helpful to this intent.

I was sorry to learn of your concerns with your stay and I would like to express my personal regret for the disappointment you have expressed.

I can assure you that we accommodate a number of guests in our hotel and are proud to have the flexibility to meet their requirements, therefore it is extremely disappointing to have let you down in this occasion.

I trust you will accept that the difficulties you experienced are certainly not reflective of our normal standards.

I am particularly afraid about what you report as to the Red Level service, since it is about personalized attention towards those guests who wish to live higher and more exclusive quality standards.

Please, be assured that the issues raised have been investigated and appropriate actions have been taken to prevent any guests being similarly inconvenienced in the future.

That is why we hope that you will reconsider to come back to our Luxury Urban Resort, offering us the chance of gaining your confidence on our services and let you live the RedLevel experience you could not perceive at this occasion.

At this regard, please, consider myself at your disposal for any need.
It would be a great pleasure to organize your future stay in the Eternal City...

Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Great location, excellent service and food. Book breakfast package on check in for a good discount if not already included but make sure you can take it on the day of departure. Pool and bar area perfect for a relax after a hard days sightseeing. Vatican City is less than a 10 minute walk away.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Geoff F
Dear Guest,

what a pleasure to realize how lovely was your stay at Gran Meliá Rome Villa Agrippina, at the occasion of your visit to Rome.

Thank you for reporting your experience to let us know that we were able to turn your stay into a memorable one!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to let you continue enjoying the magic of the Eternal City...

Ellenton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

From our private driver, Carlos A++++, to Roberto, the head waiter and don't let me forget the Master Chef, Don Alfonso & his wife Livia...EVERYONE A+++++. Now, the hotel was gorgeous, perfect location and just where you should stay for your dream vacation.

Room Tip: We chose the Junior suite with private terrace jacuzzi (not what Americans consider private when the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for sharing your feelings about your recent stay at Gran Meliá Rome Villa Agrippina.

We are glad to learn that you lived such an unforgettable experience, especially as regard to the the gastronomy touch by Iaccarino's Family, enriched by our personnel attentive attitude and professionalism.

We will be waiting for you as soon as you decide to visit the Eternal City again...

Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

I've started my trip to Rome with a strong felling of fear.....hotels in Rome were not the most charming in my memories, BUT Gran Melia Rome had nothing to do with my older memories.......incredible design, great features, great restaurant ( no crackers and jam on breakfast :) ). The experience was truly superb and unique.
Last but not least the staff is simply at its best.

Next task is to go there in the summer.....the outdoor pool looks gorgeous.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

many thanks for reporting your opinions about your recent stay at gorgeous Gran Meliá Rome Villa Agrippina.

We are extremely happy to realize that you lived such a great experience with us, while visiting a unique city like Rome.

Thank you for the kind words addressed to the professionalism of our staff which represent our greatest asset.

Looking forward to welcoming you back at our Luxury Urban Resort for your next visit to the Eternal City....

Kindest Regrads,

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 days and booked 2 rooms. It was a shame, but not the end of the world that we couldn't get the rooms on the same floor. Initial impressions were very good, with exceptionally friendly and helpful front desk staff showing us around the hotel with wonderful grounds. Things got a little worse later when we went for dinner. 20 minutes waiting for our drinks and a further 30 minutes waiting for the food before an apologetic waiter informed us that they had problems in the kitchen. They could only provide a few options from the menu and we had to wait for another 30 mins before the food arrived. At least they then waived the price of the drinks for the inconvenience caused. The outdoor seating area was stylish but too small, particularly when parts of the area were reserved for parties (both Saturday and Sunday) leaving guests struggling to find somewhere to sit outside. Overall impressions were of a stylish hotel with friendly staff but lacking the great service and organisation I would expect from a hotel of this class.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LondonJrh
Dear Guest,

I wish to thank you for the precious time spent in transmitting us your feedback about your recent stay at Gran Meliá Rome Villa Agrippina.

Our guests’ opinions are meaningful for us to improve our services and help to turn your journey into a real experience…

We regret to realize that you could not totally enjoy your stay with us, due to the Restaurant experience, like you reported, since it represents a great value for us.

I wish to express my personal regret for your disappointment and I do sincerely hope you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience.

That is why we hope that you will have the chance of coming back to our Luxury Urban Resort, offering us the opportunity of regain your confidence in our services.

In this case, please consider myself at your complete disposal for any need.
It would be a great pleasure to assist you in organizing your next stay and let you live the gastronomic experience you could not perceive during this occasion.

Yours sincerely,

San Jose, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed at the Gran Melia for a total of 3 nights.

The hotel is very nice. I hear that it was a formerly an estate and had converted to a hotel. The hotel itself is about a year or so old.

Upon arriving to the hotel, we found the bellmen to be very helpful and the front desk staff was courteous.

We checked in and the front desk member had let us know that our room was ready and that our rate include free breakfast in the morning (this was nice, but our hotels in Florence and Paris also include free breakfast). She gave us a tour of the grounds and showed us to our room.

We had the breakfast the first morning. Gave our room number to the waitress. No problem.

We had breakfast the second morning. Again, gave our room number to the waitress. As we were about to leave, the waitress comes back and says that there’s a problem and that our breakfast is not free. She said if we felt it was a mistake, it would be best to take it up with the front desk.

So I go to the front desk right after breakfast to see what’s going on. The lady at the front desk checks our account and lets us know that our rate does not include the free breakfast and that we had been charged for the first and second days. I asked why upon check in that they had informed us that we had free breakfast. She does some more computer work and then goes back to pull out of physical file. Again, she insists that our rate does not include the breakfast and that we go back to check our paperwork. Again, I press the issue that their staff misinformed us and said our rate includes breakfast. She said the best she could do is knock about 15% off the normal breakfast charge, but that we’d be required to pay for the breakfast for all three days. Other than that, there was nothing she could really do and that she could “possibly” get a manager involved at a later time.

Keep in mind, the breakfast buffet is 36 Euro and it’s pretty mediocre. At most, we probably ate $9 Euro worth of food each. I expected a hotel of this caliber to easily comp this as it was their mistake for misinforming us.

Since I was on vacation, I decided to just let the issue slide since I did not want to waste any further precious time debating back and fourth with the front desk and to have to wait for a manager that the front desk could “possibly” alert.

I feel this whole situation is very unacceptable for a supposedly “luxury” hotel. They obviously do not follow the simple rule of the customer is always right and I feel they were quick to put the blame back on us.

So beware… if you do not run into any issues during your stay here, your stay will most likely be very pleasant. If you do run into an issue, expect the customer service level to be on par with that of a motel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelFan1208
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the precious time spent in transmitting us your feedback about your recent stay at Gran Meliá Rome.

Our guests’ opinions are valuable for us to improve our services and help to turn your journey into a real experience…

I was sorry to learn of your concern as to the misunderstanding of the breakfast, finally not included in your rate.

According to our internal policy and our aim to improve the quality of our services, please, be informed that we shared your comments with the Management and the departments directly involved so to prevent any guests from experiencing similar inconveniences in the future.

We do pride ourselves on our exceptionally high standard of service and I do sincerely hope you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience but will reconsider to come again in the future, offering us the possibility of regain your confidence.
In that case, please feel free to contact me directly for any need.

In closing, may I thank you, once again, for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention

Yours sincerely,