“Happy Husband on his birthday!”
Review of La Ciurma del Pescatore - CLOSED

La Ciurma del Pescatore
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trastevere
Rome, Italy
“Happy Husband on his birthday!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have eaten in this restaurant once before last year through Groupon (which we counted as our all time most successful groupon food purchase) and I meant to write a review then but forgot. We live quite close, and decided at the last minute to go this weekend for lunch on my husband's birthday.

For 22 euro we had their set fish menu, which consisted of cozze (with both thin toasted bread and a nice basket of thick squidgy super fresh bread - living in Rome I divide restaurants which give you this, compared with those who give sad baskets of dry stale airy type of bread). This was really delicious, and had an intriguing mix of black and white pepper - normally I loathe white pepper, but here it actually worked! Then we had linguine with zucchine and prawns, which was very delicate and delicious. Finally we had orata cooked with butter and almonds, which was delicious. And a cafe to finish. I notice another reviewer commented on the salt, which is really strange - I hate salty food and never ever add it to food, but I found it to be perfect, and my husband added some to his. Maybe they had an off day?

Finally, the service. I have never worked in hospitality, but my husband is trained in hotel and catering management and having worked in this area is sometimes quite a pain to go to restaurants with (as he always spots where they make mistakes). However here he was happy and impressed. I must say the waitress (who I think is also one of the owners) was great - she has a good balance between being friends and attentive yet not too overbearing and also leavign you to yourself. And as we had made a passing comment about it being my husband's birthday they appeared with an impromptu slice of delicious chocolate cake, deocorated with 'Happy Birthday' in chocolate sauce and a candle - it was a lovely touch.

All in all, I would highly recommend this restaurant. Having lived in Rome for 12 years, I have eaten in a LOT of restaurants. And while there are certainly some really good ones, there are also some dreadful and over-hyped places. This on the other hand is quiet, unassuming but very good. I have only eaten the fish by the way... I can't vouch for the meat plates!

Watch out! I thought I should add - I tried to pay with card and they said they couldn't accept it. Maybe this was just because it was sunday lunch, but bring enough cash, as the closest bancomat is a few minutes' walk away.

• Visited May 2013

BELLINGHAM
“Would you like some food with that salt?”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We rented an apt in Rome and the first night we just ate here - which was directly across the street. Every single dish was so salty it was just awful - and we are pro salt and like it on food. We had an artichoke appetizer which would have been great if not for the salt, then pasta which was also so salty, then some fried seafood which was almost inedible for the salt.

We eat out a lot and have never had this happen to us, no matter the location. Not sure if this always happens here, or if there was a temporary chef....but be wary.

• Visited April 2013
Rome, Italy
“Disappointing, bad service”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We came here on a Sunday afternoon to grab a quick late lunch but ended up waiting an hour for the food to arrive. The restaurant was half empty, the terrace not full either. Staff was inattentive and unfriendly to the point that I got up and got the menus myself and repeated the same for the desert menu (although we decided to not order desert because we didn't want to risk waiting another hour). The couple at the table next to us waited about 30 mins for their beer to arrive. And when we left, we heard people on the terrace complaining about the service. Apparently there were only two people serving but they could have handled it in a much better way - at least they could have warned us about the waiting time when we ordered. And we didn't order anything sophisticated, just two plates of pasta, a salad and french fries. But there was no warning, no apology, nothing. When the food finally arrived it was ok but I certainly won't go there again.

• Visited April 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
“simple, friendly and good”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We went for a Staurday lunch, fish menu: octopus stew, spaghetti with prawns, and roast fish, plus a bottle of Chianti. We - two chaps well past middle age, and usually very demanding to food - left very pleased. Sometimes, as Chris Franke said, talking about music is like dancing about architecure. This was the case about our lunch - just as it should be. P.S. I stopped there when returninga fter dinner for a coffee and Fernet outdoor. Same friendly attitude, and a nice piece of cake on the house.

Visited March 2013
Norway
“Glad we took a chance here”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

On an unusually warm October evening we were going to dine at another restaurant on the same street, but it didn’t have any outdoor seating, so we thought we’d try our luck here. And we are so glad we did. The food was delicious, and the service by the young staff was friendly and attentive.
This isn’t only a fish restaurant – there’s chicken and steaks on the menu as well. Three of us had shellfish dishes, the other two steaks, and we shared side dishes of grilled vegetables. All of the food was perfectly cooked. Our waiter did a very good job of helping us choose wine. The prosecco we started out with was excellent, as were both the white and red wines he suggested to accompany our main courses.
The portions were generous, so we were full, but the waitress insisted we try the desserts she had made herself. We weren’t that impressed with them, but it didn’t matter, as we were so pleased with the rest of the meal – the best one we had in Rome.

• Visited October 2012