All reviewsserena and marcoamerican embassyvia venetorestaurant recommendationshotel ownersgreat hostsdinner reservationsguest housegelatosmall boutique hotelrecommended restaurantsvilla borgheseyogurtbeautiful citymini fridgegave us a mapsafe area
Reviewed October 15, 2017

Two blocks from the Westin Excelsior, between the American Embassy and a Rome police station, there is a seven-story historic building containing law firms, other offices, residences, and the Deko Rome Guest House. Our assumption is that the space was originally a flat or apartment converted into this small hotel.

Three of the rooms face the street and have large windows. We stayed for four nights in Room 5, one of the two rooms across the hall that face an inner courtyard. We were given that room because I stressed when making our reservation that our top priority was quiet, and it was quiet enough to sleep with the window open when the weather was cool. When it was warm we used the air conditioning. I would not recommend Room 6, because it opens directly off the small breakfast area, and the sound of dishes and diners’ voices would be disturbing once breakfast service began at 8:00.

Breakfast was the same each day. There isn't space for a buffet and each guest was served. Breakfast consisted of a bowl of corn flakes, yogurt, and a large plate of sliced fruit, sliced cheese and meat (cold cuts), a roll, butter and jam, and a sweet croissant. Beverages included various juices, milk, tea, and coffee brewed to order.

Our bathroom was modern, the bed was comfortable, and there was adequate space in our bedroom. There is no lounge or common area, other than the breakfast area, and the reception desk is just a few feet inside the entry door. The overall result is that the space feels cramped. We were out much of the day, and we were resting when we were in our room, so the lack of space wasn't a problem, but we missed having a place to relax outside our room.

The distinguishing feature of Deko Rome is that the owners, Marco and Serena, and their employees, Julia who works in the morning and the gentleman who works in the evening, provide their guests with personal attention. Marco spent a long time with us when we arrived, marking a map to show the sights and recommended restaurants within walking distance. He called to make dinner reservations for us. We had booked tours in advance, but I heard Serena arranging tours for other guests. When I asked about a self-service laundromat, Marco offered to take care of our laundry at a reasonable price, not the exorbitant per piece price charged by many hotels. Julia took our clothes to the laundry on her way to the Metro at the end of her shift, and the gentleman who worked in the evening (whose name I never learned) brought it back when he came to work. They were all available to answer our questions and to ensure we had a good visit.

If you would like a grand and elegant hotel, or one with a restaurant and bar, this is not the place for you. If you would prefer a quiet place to call home in one of the safest, most upscale neighborhoods in Rome, where you will receive personal attention from caring hosts, we recommend Deko Rome.

Room Tip: Avoid room 6. Rooms 1-3 face street. Rooms 4 & 5, facing interior courtyard, are quieter
  • Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ojaitravelbugs
Reviewed October 13, 2017

I booked a surprise trip to Rome for my Partners birthday in April for October and emailed frequently asking questions, being organised and generally annoying as I wanted the trip to be perfect. We just got home from our 7 day holiday. I decided to go with Deko based purely on the reviews from trip adviser- mostly regarding the positivity regarding Serena and Marco's hospitality and the prime location of the boutique hotel. Serena is amazing- she doesn't miss a beat, organised informed and knowledgeable- it is truly like staying with a friend in an unknown city. This alone is invaluable- we was promptly supplied with two maps- one pointed out the best restaurants- across a range of budgets, helpful tips such has "very traditional food- romantic setting" or "not friendly service- it will be slow, but the food is exceptional and very reasonable" we was suggested, bars, cafes, ice-cream parlours (which were off the scale!!!) and then a second map pointing out hidden gems, worthwhile visiting points, churches, markets and boutiques. However the absolute best part, was the role they played in my beloveds birthday- helping me get a cake, they added a balloon, lit the candles and duly sang happy birthday when we arrived at the table for breakfast. later thoughtfully leaving a card, bottle of prosecco and box of chocolates in our room. The rooms were clean and tidied everyday- no mean feat when my partner is as messy as he is, and they offered help everyday. I cannot recommend this small lovely gem enough. They made the trip just that little bit more magic- just by being them! Mega x

Room Tip: We had the room with the lounge and jacuzzi bath- worth the extra space.
  • Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2017

The location - central yet quiet, many of Rome's attractions are within walking distance from the hotel, the modern state, the cozy and clean room, the excellent breakfast and above all - the attitude of the staff, are noteworthy, I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2017

Before arrival, the staff emailed me and scheduled the limo/taxi (Merc E-class) for us. It's very comfortable, make us not have to drag the luggage from Airport/Termini to Deko. The room is not big but comfortable. The staffs are very nice, introducing Rome and neighbor area in detail. The breakfast is also impressive! A lot of fruit! There are many car rental companies in the next block, so convenient! The only problem is that the hot water of the shower is small. The other experience is good.

Room Tip: Comfortable room in good location
  • Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2017

The owners and staff were very nice and helpful but Motel 6 has more charm. Plus the neighborhood is uninteresting. There are so many charming boutique hotels on the ancient side streets. We also did not have sufficient water pressure and the breakfast was unappetizing. If not for Marco and Selena I would give this one star. The high ratings are a mystery to me

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple