“"Grand hotel"”
Review of Deko Rome

Deko Rome
Ranked #5 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I went to deko early last year with my family, (February) and I have to say that the rooms and location was great and so was the service. The price was a bit on the steep end but the room we had was very spacious and modern and the staff made us feel at home. It was a very great experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Frank H
There are newer reviews for Deko Rome

Reviewed February 3, 2014

they have 5 or 6 rooms essentially on one floor of a building, where the other floors are a mixture of offices and private homes.
The rooms are spacious with modern furnishings, not designer stuff, but certainly functional. Bathrooms are new and clean (I really dislike hotels with rundown bathrooms, quite common in Rome). They give you slippers. Wifi works very well, there are Sky sat tv channels, and each room comes with an ipad. It is very quiet, which is also a plus in Rome.
Marco is incredibly helpful. I was there on business, so I didn't need to know about the sightseeing, but he pointed out restaurants, hangouts, etc. One night that I didn't have dinner plans, he sent out for some food from a neighborhood restaurant, and then proceeded to set the table for me so I could eat properly on a plate, with some prosecco, and not out of a takeout carton.
The only thing that I would introduce is a selection for breakfast; the current offering is a set plate which includes tons of things: cereal, fruit, cheese, etc. It's good quality, but I would like to choose, so that we don't have to throw away the food I didn't feel like eating.

Room Tip: I tried 2 different rooms and they were both good
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Barbara P
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I often fly around the world on business, usually staying in high end hotels. I've never experienced close to the service that I received at the Deko. My wife and I walked in at midnight due to a delayed flight and we were instantly greeted and made to feel like family. With the help of the amazing staff we were able to see the top 10 sights in Rome in only 2 days. They masterfully set us up with the ultimate tour plan using their intimate knowledge of the city.

Need a last minute museum reservation? Call them up while you're out and about and they'll rush down and take care of it.

Need a recommendation for a restaurant in the part of the city you're in? They will recommend one, make the reservation for you, and have the restaurant owners greet you like family.

The hotel itself is extremely clean with well appointed rooms close to the heart of the city. Everything is easily accessible.

It will be my pleasure to stay at the Deko again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the suite - well worth the extra cash.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin F
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I hate to be yet another person to say the same thing that has been said over and over about the Deko Rome so I will try to offer something more in addition (see below). Our 4 destination trip to Italy started in Rome and we had never been to Italy so to make our trip go smooth we picked Deko Rome.

Having our angels, Marco and Serena, to guide us of course started our trip off right. After flying for 14+ hours we had Marco arrange our cab which included a driver with a sign and our names to effortlessly drive us to our modern-ammenity new home away from home, Deko Rome. (Jan 2014, cost was 50 Euros) The driver knows where you are going, no need to explain, just sit back and enjoy the ride. When we arrived Marco was downstairs to meet us, welcome us and get us quickly to their floor as you know, having read the other reviews, where they offer their world famous hospitality. Refreshments, local map with recommendations and, well, let me tell you Marco is even more *AMAZING* then I am going to go on about here because it has been said so many times in other reviews but he goes Above and Beyond. Passionate is the best word to sum it all up, and yes you will be raving and talking about Marco and Serena for the rest of your trip.

Here is my most helpful advice. If you have specific expectations about a hotel, your bed, your restrictions, your demands, any of that, email Marco in advance and discuss them before
booking. This couple wants you to enjoy your stay and will go to great lengths to make it the best,
so give them the opportunity to make sure you are staying somewhere you think it is and can appreciate what they have to offer. Of course with trip advisor this makes it easy. I chose Deko Rome because of the modern ammenities and the help with general travel.

I have a name for these new types of hotels and it is BB&B Boutique Bed and Breakfast. You are somewhat on your own, in a comfortable bed, safe place, with general ammenites including water, slippers, coffee, toiletries in your room. If you need something, just ask. Marco and Serena are a young energetic friendly couple who are happy to call you a cab to any of the destinations or give you advice on your concerns.

Finally, Here are some tips in general: When you visit Italy you are going to be walking everywhere. If you can't handle the stairs at Deko Rome, you cannot handle anywhere else. Bring your MOST COMFORTABLE SHOES. We could not find mustard at the stores, so if you like mustard with your salami (a staple food at any of the BB&B's) Bring your own.
Don't bring a bunch of maps and guide books. Every hotel has the local tourist map and I never looked at any of the maps I brought.

If you are going to the Colloseum and the Forum, Buy the "ROME RECONSTRUCTED" before and after guide books w/ DVD by ArchoLibri. You can get them in Rome everywhere or before you go, on Amazon. These books show the Colosseum and Forum before and after. Great tour books. There are also before and after books of Pompeii and Florence.

The best guide to bring for important things to know, questions and translations about trains, validating tickets, tipping, gypsies, etc is "Italy, Instructions for Use" by Nan McElroy. This is a very small and very informative lightweight little book. Read it before you go, and bring it with you.

For mobile WI-FI, texting and phone calls, we checked with our carrier, Verizon before we left and the iphone 5 we had was unlocked. We brought a passport to Vodafone (local phone store) and paid $40 for a sim card . Vodafone is in walking distance from the Deko Rome. You put this sim card in your phone and you never have to guess what your bill will be. You get an Italian phone number and you are free to text, surf and make calls. Of course there is a number of texts, calls and megabytes, but after 12 days we left and never used them up. We traveled and used this card in Rome, Ravenna, Firenze (Florence) and Milan. Great deal!

ITALY is a *Wow* Vacation. Start it at DEKO ROME, and GO HAVE A BLAST!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
11  Thank LastFlightOutSeattle
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Central hotel in Rome, with super staff. When you arrive, they will tell you all you need to see in the city, and they are spot on. Every day they put a free diet coke, water and beer in the mini fridge. I'll come back next time in Rome for sure!

Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Steentofte
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We stayed here for a long weekend in the middle of July. The hotel is perfectly situated and he rooms are beautiful and very well equipped. The welcome we received from Serena was first class and Marco was brilliant in arranging all of our airport transfers. They went out of their way to make our stay special, recommending some fantastic bars, restaurants and sights that we may have overlooked. I will only stay here if I am fortunate enought to visit this beautiful city again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed at Deko Rome for a weekend visit. Marco was so welcoming and gave us so many amazing recommendations for food and places to visit in the city. We really appreciated his input and the extra little things he did to make our stay that much more comfortable. We were offered prosecco on arrival, they gave us a room upgrade, and even the free water and beer in the mini fridge was a nice touch. The room was extremely comfortable and the hotel is in a fantastic location where you can walk to all the main sights. Will definitely stay again the next time we are in town!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple