“Excellent and highly recommend”
other traveler has booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Spanish first
Any
Ronski766
Vancouver, Canada
“Stale smoke smell and shower didn't drain”
Reviewed December 12, 2017 for a stay in October 2017
person found this review helpful

The space itself is nice and is as it appears in the photos. The owner, David, was very helpful with directions, restaurant recommendations, etc. prior to and on our arrival. The apartment is in a working class neighbourhood 5 minutes from the tram to Trastevere (which gets very crowded in the afternoon and evening). Unfortunately the apartment smells of stale smoke and the shower didn't drain despite repeated attempts by both David and myself to unplug it.
Sorry for the essay that follows, but based on my dealings with David I suspect my negative review will elicit an inaccurate, angry and unnecessary personal response, so a full explanation is likely required. Read on if you wish.
We had booked the apartment for 4 nights. David had been busily cleaning the apartment for the entire duration of our 2-hour journey from FCO. On our arrival, the doors and windows were wide open and the apartment itself had an overpowering smell of chemical cleaner. David immediately explained the cleaner smell by stating that the last guests had left a mess and had cooked something that smelled. Fair enough. David spent the better part of an hour showing the apartment and explaining how everything worked. We were impressed and told him so. During the tour he did mention that the shower drained slowly, but stated that this was "normal".
We dropped off our bags and went into town. On our return that evening the apartment still reeked of chemical cleaner and we tried to air the place out. As the chemical smell dissipated later that evening it became clear that it was merely masking the stale smell of smoke. As for the shower, standing water created a very unpleasant soap scum footpath within minutes. I found a plunger sitting next to the shower (should have been a hint of an ongoing issue) and I tried to clear the drain with little success. The next day I informed David of both issues and, to his credit, he did show up later in the day to try and clear the drain. The shower did drain a little better at first, but after one shower it was back to the scum filled footpath within a minute.
As for the smell, David insisted there was none. At one point he did admit that he got a vague whiff of smell while standing next to the bed, but stated he smokes himself and couldn't be sure. My wife and I tried everything to isolate the source. We left doors and windows open and we left them closed. We put towels at the bottom of the doors to the common hallway in case the smell came from there. We finally isolated the source as being the upholstery of the couch and mattress as we had laid our freshly laundered clothes on the couch for only a few minutes while folding them and they picked up the unmistakeable smell.
After our second sleepless night we let David know that the shower still didn't drain and that we had discovered the source of the smell. He continued to insist that a drain that can't keep up with the water from the faucet is "normal", and continued to deny there being any smell at all. Worse, he became angry, raised his voice almost to the point of yelling, and made personal attacks saying he knew when he met us that we were trouble. How or why he could think this I don't know, but the bottom line is that it was clear that we weren't happy with the place and he wasn't happy with having us as guests. We offered to move out if he would refund our unused days. He refused. Not being able to stand the smell another day, we decided to leave a day early anyway (without refund) and booked a nice, clean hotel in Fiumicino for our last night in Italy.
It is unfortunate that our visit in Rome was ruined by this experience. Our clothes required between 1 and 3 washes to rid them of the smell they picked up. We aired out our luggage for a week in the garage before putting them away, yet they still harbour the smell 2 months later. We went away this past weekend and used the same carry-on that we had in that apartment. When I pulled out a t-shirt that sat in the suitcase for a couple of days, it came out smelling of that apartment in Rome.
I have reviewed hundreds of restaurants and hotels and always strive to provide fair and objective reviews. I always give the benefit of the doubt, but I cannot recommend this apartment based on our truly terrible experience.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Dec 13, 2017
This review is the icing on the cake . The apartment is non smoking and no guests smoked in the apartment . This person just pretend to be smart but he is not . Is a tenant as well and he knows that the only thing you can say and which is impossible to debate is the smoke smell . So he used this untrue excuse just because they may have found another place or friends guesting they and wanted to be reimbursed cash . THIS IS THE PROPOSAL THEY HAVE OFFERED THE DAY AFTER ARRIVAL. Of course I have refused stating they should have contact TripAdvisor which they didn’t . The night after they have left I have asked my sister ( a non smoker) and my 10yo nephew which is hasmatic to sleep in the apartment . They both did not report any smoke smell . Also had other non smoking guests from Airbnb and home away after they left and NO ONE REPORTED ANY SMOKE SMELL.
Ron started complaining on email on EVERYTHING since 1 hour after check in . The shower was draining a bit slower than usual and the day after I have personally de-clogged it in from of him and it was working perfectly .
PLEASE BOOK THEIR APARTMENTS AND USE THE SAME FALSE EXCUSE TO HAVE YOUR MONEY BACK OR A DISCOUNT TO AVOID A NEGATIVE REVIEW: AFTER CHECK IN PROTEST WITH THEM THERE IS A STALE SMOKE SMELL IN THEIR PROPERTIES. YOU MAY BE ENTITLED BY RON TO A REFUND IN CASH OR A DISCOUNT TO AVOID YOUR NEGATIVE REVIEW.
Felt very uncomfortable having them in my place
milemark2...
New York City, New York
“Excellent and highly recommend”
Reviewed June 19, 2017 for a stay in June 2017

We stayed at this very comfortable apartment during our long weekend in Rome. Everything we needed was available- a stocked kitchen, fast wifi, washing machine, plus soft bed and even a solid movie and music collection. Very large and welcoming space and a wonderful host that was very helpful to interact with.

GiulianoN...
“Great apartment”
Reviewed October 2, 2016 for a stay in September 2016

Wonderful apartment in a great location, very close to multiple main transit points. Apartment was very clean and well furnished. David was very helpful in getting us acquainted with the area and apartment. Communication with David was great. Thank you David

GoPlaces8...
Florida
“The finest travel experience in my 84 years!”
Reviewed June 23, 2016 for a stay in June 2016
person found this review helpful

Have traveled for over 70 years & staying in David's apartment was the pinnacle of travel experiences for me! Not only was the apartment exactly as portrayed, it was perfectly located for privacy and a short walk from tram transport to the historic center of Rome! All amenities were available and David and his staff maintained them perfectly. David stepped in with advice and counsel whenever I needed assistance in scheduling reservations for Rome's most visited attractions and when best attend. The apartment neighborhood provided essential services such as supermarket, coffee shop, restaurants etc within a very short walk from the apartment. All in all, I would without reservation recommend his apartment for anyone (up to 4 guests) looking for a value priced footprint, well maintained and professionally managed property within a local environment close to transportation and service facilities. Bravo David for your outstanding management of this property and truly friendly manner to your guests! Alan Hilkene

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: No surprises!
Liked least: Only having 28 days to enjoy it!
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Jun 24, 2016
Alan, Thanks so much for your lovely words. I feel my mission is accomplished . Receiving such an enthusiastic review from a senior man like you who have seen and experienced a lot in your life give me the strength to keep on managing my property in the way I am doing as the satisfaction of my guests is my priority . Hope to have you back next year . Best Regards David
Rosemary...
Marlborough, United Kingdom
“Private and Peaceful - yet easy to get everywhere”
Reviewed April 30, 2016 for a stay in April 2016

Perfect for those who want to get away from the busy streets and noise of Rome yet in easy reach of all sites of interest, with good transport links.
David was welcoming and extremely helpful upon my arrival, always available should you need help, but never obtrusivel. The apartment is set in a shady terraced garden, and would I imagine would be a wonderful retreat from the heat, though it was quite cool outside in April. I was worried about noise, being a light sleeper, but it was lovely and quiet, so I slept soundly in the enormous and very comfortable bed.

It was a very enjoyable and comfortable stay in a clean, well furnished apartment. Only tip I have is for anyone who is an avid tea drinker - be prepared to boil water in the microwave or on the gas, or take a travel kettle. David religiously has had to replace three 'misplaced' kettles over the past few months, so there is not one. There are coffee making utensils though.

Traveling group: Solo
Your age range 65+
May 1, 2016
Dear Rosemary,
Thanks for the lovely review. It's been good meeting you and I alrerady miss the little chats we had. I Really need more and more guests like you who really aprreciate the authenticity and genuinity of the area which is so close to attractions but away enough "only for turists "area. Thanks also for appreciating my work.I have travelled a lot for work and I know what it feels like to be for the first time in a new city, with a different language and habits so I try my best to make my guests feeling home! I hope to host you again soon. Warmest regards David
Kevin K
Huntington Beach, California
“Amazing Place!”
Reviewed November 19, 2015 for a stay in November 2015

Despite me being late to my appointment (got lost on public transit), David was extremely patient and very informative upon my arrival. He walked me through the entire apartment and explained how to use all the appliances and electronics. Neighborhood was mellow and there was an amazing little pizza place right around the corner. It was a good distance outside of the central tourist area, but with the tram (5 minute walk) it was extremely simple to get into the heart of the city and everything was in walking distance once you got off. David also provided train/bus routes to all the major attractions and was there to answer any questions that I had about the city. Great apartment and a great host! Would definitely recommend to friends and stay there again.

Traveling group: Solo
Nov 20, 2015
Thanks Kevin for your great review.
I am glad you have enjoyed the " live like a Roman " vacation and i giorni to have more and more guests like you who enjoy the authenticity and genuinity of the area .
Hope to have you again soon !
David
Ikerrioja
Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain
“Comfortable appartment near Trastevere”
Reviewed September 3, 2015 for a stay in August 2015

This appartment is really comfortable. Perfect for 2 people. The bed is really big and the dining area is spacious, with large sofas and multimedia equipment. The owner offers his own collection of music and DVDs.

The property is very well located. It is within 5 minutes walk to the Trastevere train station, connected to San Pietro and Roma Termini. The 8 Tram is even closer. This line ends in Piazza Venezia, near the Colloseum and the Forum.

The owner is always very helpful. He welcomes you at the arrival and explains all the details of the property and useful information about the city and the country. He even gave us a little surprise, which was very kind of him.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Traveling group: Other
Your age range 25-34
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Oct 7, 2015
I hope to host you again soon.
Warmest regards
David
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing