“Stumbed on a little gem”

Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna
Ranked #140 of 1,490 things to do in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: This contemporary art gallery features works from the late 19th century to 1945.
London, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Stumbed on a little gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Walking through the Borghese park on an overcast day we stumbled on this by accident and being fans of modern art we decided to give it a try...we're so glad we did.
This isn't the biggest modern art gallery we've been in (Tate, Pompidou, Reina Sofia) but what we saw was very pleasing. We particularly enjoyed the floor of cracked mirrors, the "Excuse me, Is that art?" section and were captivated by the paintings in the war section.
I just wish we had arrived earlier and had more time to sit and appreciate some of the works.
It was a very pleasnt space to be in.

Visited March 2013
4 Thank LesKUK

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Surprise - this deserves more publicity, give it a try”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Approaching the museum down the unkempt steps from the Borghese park, I wasn't sure what to expect, but after a quick look inside I was sold. At the moment there's a temporary exhibition of some of the sculptures displayed in a central space on a floor of cracked mirrors, which invites you to look at them in different ways. Then you're off into the permanent collections, beautifully lit and displayed, plus more temporary exhibitions as you go further up. We were too late for the restaurant, shame because it looked rather stylish. In short, this visit balanced out some of the more obvious Rome attractions for me, and if I'd had more time I would have gone back. Give it a try if you like modern art.

3 Thank Captain_Cook_9876
Montferrand du Perigord, France
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Amazing gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Not the most exciting building externally - quite austere, but with interesting juxtaposition of works to be seen as one climbs the stairs to the entrance which hinted at what was to come. This has to be the best curated museum we have seen. Large, light - filled rooms, or dramatic lighting all used to highlight a wonderful array of art. All work had its' own space and was complemented by adjoining works, in both context and subject. We spent hours in what seemed like minutes - an absolute must see!

Visited February 2013
4 Thank Janis P
Manila, Philippines
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I don't pretend to know much about art but this museum really takes my breath away. My wife and I visited Rome Feb of 2013. We were supposed to originally visit the MAXXI museum but was not yet opened when we got there so we ended up at National Gallery of Modern Art. It was a blessing in disguise as I can consider this one of the highlights of our rome visit. The paintings and sculptures are just breathtaking. I highly recommend this even for those who are not really into arts

Visited February 2013
3 Thank Jonas L
peterborough
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 210 helpful votes
“Does not live up to it's own press”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Nice building, large airy rooms that could have been filled with art....hmmmm.

Ok got there just off the Borghesse Park, that is fantastic by the way, no line ups (wondered about that), the travel books all said that this museum was FREE, not likely, and it was not free. When we were in the lobby there was more than one person in a heated argument about the fact that it was not free. We paid and went in to find the Monet's etc... that were in the pamphlets that the museum promoted. Very disappointed.

Time to spend in this museum, 30 minutes and you could do it twice. The positives, 40 degrees in the sun outside, so the air conditioning was a welcome relief, so money well spent.

cheers

Visited August 2012
1 Thank atti2ud

Been to Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna? Share your experiences!