“Clean and Comfortable at a great price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Retrome Rome

Retrome Rome
Ranked #436 of 3,762 Rome B&B and Inns
Gresham, Oregon, United States
“Clean and Comfortable at a great price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

People were very friendly and accommodating. Rooms were air conditioned and comfortable. Not a lot of room for luggage and bathrooms were small. Overall I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a place to stay at a great price. We are not talking about a hotel or hotel amenities but I would stay here again. We had 4 couples and took up 4 rooms, one of which is very small.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Moti_retrome, Owner at Retrome Rome, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear Mark,
Thank you for the time you spend in writing your review. We appreciate your input, and we are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
We could have host you this time only 2 nights, so we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the future for a longer stay - or at our new boutique hotel in Barcelona.

Warm regards,

Oren
Retrome

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Hebrew first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed at RetRome Colosseum Garden B&B for 3 nights at the end of June. We were traveling with a large group (9 people) and RetRome was great about accommodating us and making last minute adjustments as one of our doubles was turned into a triple.

Pros:
-Good, safe location, 5-10 minute walk to Colosseum
-Close to good restaurants, bars, gelaterias
-Near the gay neighborhood of Rome
-Clean rooms, each with its own clean, modern bathroom
-Comfortable beds
-Excellent a/c units in each room
-Shared kitchenette on each floor
-Two blocks to a cab stand near the Colosseum

Cons:
-The rooms they gave us each came with a double bed, and at least two people in our group did not want to share a double bed. So the first night my 69-year-old cousin slept on the floor with blankets. The second night they rolled in a cot for her to sleep on.
-No elevator/lift, which is fine for us, but not ideal if you're traveling with older folks
-The staff are very nice, but they're not always around for a question or to help you make reservations; you have to call their cell phones to get a hold of them.
-The breakfast is off site, at a cafe 3 blocks down the street, which my parents had trouble finding on their own one morning. Also, the breakfast is a "Italian breakfast" consisting of a hot drink (coffee, tea, etc.), a croissant, jam & butter, and toast.
-They only give you one key per room (which is fine if you're a couple, but if you're traveling with friends and want to separate to do your own thing, this can be problematic).
-It's a B&B so they do come to make your bed every day, but they don't clean the bathroom, change towels, etc., which was fine by us, but may not be okay with everyone.
-They said they accepted credit cards online but when we got there, they asked us if we could pay cash. We tried going to the ATM to pay cash, but there is a limit of 200 euro and a fee every time you use the ATM, so it turned out to be cheaper to pay with credit card and more convenient for us. We told them we would pay half in cash and half in credit card and they seemed okay with that but it would have been nice if they had given us a head's up that they preferred cash so we could have come prepared.

Overall, we had a good experience, though I would have preferred to have stayed in a more central location (closer to the sites and museums). By the time we booked our hotel, there weren't many options left since the summer is so busy in Rome. But we were safe and comfortable in this B&B and the price was reasonable.

Room Tip: If you are traveling in a group, ask if you can all have rooms on the same floor. I believe there a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Moti_retrome, Manager at Retrome Rome, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear Lisa,

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate your input!
It was a pleasure to host you at the Colosseum Garden, and we are happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Regarding the Double bed - we offer a queen size bed at most of our rooms. Of course, we can supply an additional single bed by request, so it is too bad that we did not receive any special request ahead of time. Needless to say, that at the moment we have received your request for an additional single bed at that room, we have fulfilled your request. In any case, we apologies for the inconvenience that was caused in the first night, and happy that this issue has been solved to your satisfaction. We have changed our breakfast offering, and from the first week of July we serve 2 kinds of breakfast - the traditional Italian breakfast, and the healthy choice (with cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, fresh orange juice etc.). We hope to host you again in the future, so you will be able to experience that yourself.
We are looking forward to welcome you again in Rome

Regards,

Oren
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

A very convenient location, close to The Colosseum, easy access to the train station & cozy cafes!

Room Tip: Room is a bit small but reception staff was very helpful! Appreciate the tips given :)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Hi,

We are very glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We are certainly look forward to welcome you again in Rome, or in our new retro-boutique hotel in the heart of Barcelona.
I am also glad that you liked the Cafes and restaurants in our neighborhood. As this is more a residential area, you can find a lot of cozy restaurants and not tourist traps. Thanks again for staying with us!!
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

I had booked ahead of time based on the ratings, and received a confirmation with an international number to call to set up the check in. I didn't have international and emailed asking if I could work it all out through email. I received no response at all - I sent it on April 1st. I was staying with friends at a nearby hotel and then moving to RetRome for my last night alone. The building had graffitti on it on a quiet street. I tried to call for 2 days when I arrived and received a broken signal. The hotel I stayed at tried as well - the phone was not working. I finally got someone who told me to just email them and they would response...which they didn't. I finally got a response when I said I was cancelling since I could not get a hold of them and did not feel safe as a single traveler with the lack of communication. They told me that I was not calling during business hours (which I was) and that they respond to all communications (which they didn't) and they CHARGED ME ANYWAY!!!! Do not book here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank PiscesV
Hi,

First, we would like to apologize for the late respond to your review. We have been opening a new retro-designed floor to our boutique hotel, and most of our resources were used during this exciting period.
Most of the issues that you mention in your review had to do with the renovation phase we went through at that specific period. There is no excuse for bad communication, but at least the result is that we have a brand new entrance, a cool reception area, and extra new 4 retro-styled guest rooms. We hope that we will have the chance to show you the nice side of our accommodation, which made us so popular in Rome. We have just opened a new vintage-styled boutique hotel in the heart of Barcelona, and if you happen to travel to that destination, we hope to be able to prove you in the future our highest level of hospitality

Regards,
Marseille, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

Hands down to the owner of this property. The location for the value and the hospitable service offered by Imran is by far the best experienced in Europe. The rooms are clean and well decorated. The hotel (b&b) is situated approximately five minutes walk from the colosseum. In terms of the service, I must say that Imran went above and beyond to ensure our stay was hospitable, we were even able to leave our bags after our check out and picked up at 5pm. If your looking for a short term stay, i would recommend this place without hesitation. To the owner, Thank you for ensuring our stay in Rome was memorable!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amer Z
Dear Amer,

Thank you for your review, and for the time you took to write it.
It was a pleasure to host you in Rome during that busy period. We are really happy that you have enjoyed the time with us, and it really makes us proud to read such nice words from our guests. We try to keep our highest level of hospitality also in our new (just opened in June) boutique hotel in Barcelona, and we will be very happy to welcome you again if you happen to travel there in the near future.

Thanks so much for your review, and see you soon.

Grenoble, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

The worst stay I ever had in Rome, really terrible.

Usually I never take the time to write a review but this time I really want to share facts about my stay at RetRome as It really was a terrible experience.

The only point which is accurate with their website is the location, It's very close from the Colyseum.

When we arrived in front of the hotel we've been received by the manager of the place, he was friendly and showed us our room.

When he showed us the room he said that he was sorry for the smell and gave us a wine bottle.

The smell of the room was terrible as they have repainted the room a couple of days before, you could smell chemicals from the paint everywhere in the room and the bathroom.

Then he told me that he would come back 10 minute later for the paperwork regarding the check-in.

But they don't accept credit cars...

He arrived 30 minutes later announcing that I couldn't pay with a credit card as their system was broken. As I didn't have 300€ in cash with me at this moment I told him that I would need to go to a bank to withdraw some money. He said OK and mentioned that he would come the day after at 10AM.

The day after our arrival someone knocked at our door at 8:45AM and didn't stop until we opened the door, they wanted to get paid. It was really an horrible experience as we really wanted to enjoy the first morning when we could have slept properly since a long time...

As the credit card system still didn't work I paid them cash.

Wifi doesnt work

When I told to the manager that the Wifi didn't work, he did not even tried to fix anything. I'm a computer geek and I can tell you that if there was any wifi I would have detected it. Anyway the manager didn't bother I couldn't use the wifi anytime during my stay at RetRome.

How is the bathroom?

Tiny is the least that you can say, you can only be one person at the same time. It was clean but very very small.

Is it calm?

Windows are so thin that you can hear everything in the street. Moreover there's a parking for scooters in front of the rooms so you can be sure that each time someone is starting his scooter you can hear everything. You can also hear your neighbors upstairs if they go to the toilet.

Each morning at 06:13AM you will also hear city services picking up the litter in the street, it woke me up everyday despite the fact that normally It's really hard to wake me up (I've attached pictures of the windows...)

Is it clean?
Terrible smell of chemicals in the room plus tobacco smoke

Vintage furniture and retro design?

This was the main reason why I decided to go to this place. I'm a design aficionado.

At retrome 80% of furnitures is coming from IKEA, it's brand new, really not vintage (curtains, bed, table lights, low table). The only retro elements were the lamp from the ceiling and 2 chairs.

Don't expect any design icon in this hotel, I haven't seen any apart from a tulip chair from Eero Saarinen in another room.

What about breakfast?

You can't eat, you can't cook at Retrome (you'll find a picture of the kitchen included in this review) therefore they give you some tickets and you have to go to a bar nearby to have your breakfast.

The place to get your breakfast is the worst in the area, the service is mediocre, they won't even say "hello" if you show your retrome ticket, they couldn't care less about you.

We left the place Saturday morning to go back home, the bar where you can have your breakfast was closed even if it was 10:00AM

Does their website describe the rooms accurately?

As I know this could be a subjective interpretation I took some pictures therefore you'll be able to decide by yourself.

From what I've experienced pictures on the website are not from the place as it is today. They have changed everything (the kitchen is much smaller, there's no living room anymore. Instead of 2 rooms as described you have at least 3 rooms now).

Is it safe?

There's no staff in the place, the manager lives elsewhere, the only persons you can find in the place are the other customers.

Value for price paid?

Definitely not, I paid 142€ per night, I wanted to make a surprise for my girlfriend and I was really ashamed by the place (see pictures of the front door when you enter in the apartment).

Normally I really not complain about hotel rooms where I go but this time I just couldn't let this kind of things without an updated review. Maybe this place was nice before but since the major transformation of the apartment it became a place where you wished you would have never been.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Really not as advertised
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jeanjacques d
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

The location & price were what stood out the most, with the Colosseum just around the corner and the metro line which gives easy access to other near by sights it was more than ideal. The rooms are spacious even though we did stay in the small double we had plenty of room , if you are looking for somewhere to rest your head and have a shower after a long day of sightseeing in the amazing city of rome then i highly recommend the RetRome. We didnt want to leave , not just because we were in rome but the whole experience including the accommodation made us want to stay longer. If your an adventurer/explorer like we were , then this is for you. If you are going to turn your nose up at comfort and the basics a traveller needs , then its not worth your while. But for me this is a little gem in a wonderful city. I would definitely stay again and look forward to our return :)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple