“Decent Meal and Great Atmosphere Plus NFL Games-Great Fun”

Abbey Theatre Irish Pub
Ranked #1,422 of 12,788 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: American, Irish, Italian, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Description: The pub takes its name from the world renowned Irish National Theatre, which was founded by William Butler Yeats and Lady Gregory.Stage props and costumes from the storerooms of the Abbey Theatre have been used in the decor, giving the pub a very special atmosphere.The six fully air conditioned rooms of the pub are spread over two floors, and a huge range of Irish whiskeys, cocktails and long drinks are on offer, as well as Irish beers on tap including, of course, the famous Guinness.The Abbey Theatre offers irish, italian and international cuisine all day everyday. We are able to show all major sports throughout the pub on 14 TV screens. ( NFL, Premiership, Serie A, Rugby World Cup...). The pub has a happy hour during the daytime, live irish music every week, and free Wi-Fi.The pub also offers private parties or weddings. Our welcoming pub, is considered one of the best in the city and it is laid out in typical Irish style with lots of little rooms linked by narrow corridors.
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Spent three hours at the Abby tonight. Watched the whole Bronco game and had dinner during the game. It was a great experience. Four NFL games were on tonight also, so the place was poppin with expats and US Semester Abroad students from all over. The staff welcomed us all, spoke English quite well and service wise was one of the better teams of people working together during our six days in Rome at any restaurant. They were friendly, conscientious, and actually cared about our meal and service. What a concept. No hustle either.

Food was decent, I had beef stew which is what I expected and a salad. Great beer selection also. The food was as good as most Irish pubs in most cities I have been to all over Europe and the states so that part was acceptable as well.

The place had several rooms on at least two floors and quickly and easily accommodated our request to watch our NFL game. All in all a great time, and as good a time as I would have even at a sports bar back home. I would go back easily. Oh, prices were fair too and the menu was quite diverse with many types of food, Italian, pub food, Irish food, burgers and fries.

1  Thank finesilver

Reviewed November 12, 2012

The food is ok - nothing special. My kids wanted to go a second time and my husband & I vetoed that.

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I visited this bar with my husband as it was recommended by a friend. We were very dissatisfied with the quality of the food. Although we would rarely make a complaint to staff about a meal on this occasion we found we had no option. We tried to discuss this in a reasonable manner but were shouted at and eventually left. I have never experienced such poor customer service and would not recommend this bar.

2  Thank BusyLizzyDublin
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We spotted this on our first night! But we made a pact not to go till half way through our week! When we did visit we were not disappointed! Hubby had Irish Stew, full of juicy meet and lovely potatoes! Had chicken curry! For an Irish bar it was very good, prices are fair considering the amount, they also give VERY large measures of Scotch! Was asked if we wanted a Scottish measure or an Irish measure? We guessed the RIGHt answer was Irish and boy did they fill our glasses! Loved it very friendly host and lively " locals"

1  Thank Eileen L
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

I went to this pub after my in law said they had a good time. I tried it out w/ my wife and it was the best meal I had in 3 days in Rome. They were nice and the food was great. If your tired of eatting pasta and pizza this is a nice place to have a warm meal. If i would have found this place my first day i would have had gone there at least one more time if not twice. Service was better then Average compared to other place I visited in 3 days in that area. I would recommend this place for sure to anyone and I know for sure If I come back to Rome this is one of the places I would visit agai.

1  Thank Dada3232