“Fun to learn new recipes”

Fabiolous Cooking Day in Rome
Chef-Designed Food Tour in Rome
Ranked #4 of 66 Classes & Workshops in Rome
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Fabiolous Cooking Day, the creation of Chef Fabio Bongianni, employs a talented team of chefs to provide cooking days, food tours, wine tastings, and exclusive private dining experiences for small or large groups at four elite venues in Rome and in a nearby medieval village.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Day started out at Campo de Fiori for shopping at the local farmers market and local market; walked through the area through the Jewish ghetto to the apt kitchen ; there was just 2 of us and we did the chopping , pasta making and of course pasta making. Chef Monica was a delight, down to earth and our conversation was not lacking. I am Italian American and we have lost some things in the translation of food in the USA . It was nice to get back to roots. I have made many of the items already and a pasta machine is sitting on the table as I write. It was definitely a highlight of my time in Rome, and I will continue cooking classes on all my travel ventures!!

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"italian food"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We had a great time with Monica, lovely location, in a quaint remote town about an hour outside of Rome, shopping at the butcher shop and walking the streets where you really moved into new, quiet atmosphere and then into Apartment where the 8 of use bonded and cooked.

We laughed with people we had never met before, picked up new ideas from the Chef and shared lunch conversations over the multiple servings and truly topped off our 14 days in Italy.

For the novice or experienced cook, I highly recommend the program.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I spent the day with Fabio, Virginia and Monica. What a great team!!!! Virginia took our group to Campo de Fiori to buy vegetables, then to the cheese store and then to the butcher. We walked to Tiber Island to Fabio's apartment where we made 3 types of pasta, chopped vegetables, made the filling for the ravioli, as well as several other dishes.. One of our group thin sliced the chicken for our Saltimbocca. Everything was yummy and the chefs made the challenging menus fun to do and made me realize that I can make them, too. I recommend highly this great Rome experience.

1  Thank garland1862
Reviewed September 22, 2013

In this class, I learned more about Fabio and his life than about cooking. The whole class was tasked with prep cooking, someone chopped an onion, someone else chopped meat, etc, and the assistants would take everything away, only to come back later with a finished result. I don't recommend this class for the price. Also, about 70% of what we made was packed away by the assistants, and I got the feeling that maybe we were preparing food to be used later in Fabio's restaurant.

FabiolousCookingDay, Proprietario at Fabiolous Cooking Day in Rome, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Hello,
I am always happy to have reviews so I can continue to improve my cooking school. Your review is very surprising to me because it is not usual that I have a student left dissatisfied and I apologize for that. Everyday we try to make the lesson very hands-on, giving each student duties and tasks, instead of simply lecturing about how to cook which would making the class more of a cooking demonstration. I have found in the past that this hands-on day for the students is more fun for them. Because each student is preparing a specific part of a bigger plate, I try to explain every step of the recipe, so everyone understand how it will all come together. However, it is a challenge to make everyone understand each specific step so I will try to improve on the explanation part of my lessons.
I think it is a nice experience for non-italians to get a peek into what it is like to live in Italy. Telling stories and hosting my clients at my apartment is a part of the Fabiolous Cooking Day experience that makes the day more personable. I like to get to know my clients and share my stories and home with them. I believe this shows them a part of the italian culture first hand, and makes the day more memorable for them.
As far as us packing food away, we do not take any food away from the cooking class, but we do wrap all of the pasta dough in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes before we work the dough while in the meantime we work on a different dish. This could have been misinterpreted for we were wrapping the dough for something else, but again it is possible the explanation of this process of letting the dough settle was underemphasized.
We will take your kind suggestions and try to improve from them.
Grazie,