“Wonderful Day”

Small-Group Cooking Lesson in Roman Countryside
Ranked #4 of 63 Classes & Workshops in Rome
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Fabiolous Cooking Day, the creation of Chef Fabio Bongianni, employs a talented team of chefs to provide cooking days, food tours, wine tastings, and exclusive private dining experiences for small or large groups at four elite venues in Rome and in a nearby medieval village.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I spent the day with Fabio, Virginia and Monica. What a great team!!!! Virginia took our group to Campo de Fiori to buy vegetables, then to the cheese store and then to the butcher. We walked to Tiber Island to Fabio's apartment where we made 3 types of pasta, chopped vegetables, made the filling for the ravioli, as well as several other dishes.. One of our group thin sliced the chicken for our Saltimbocca. Everything was yummy and the chefs made the challenging menus fun to do and made me realize that I can make them, too. I recommend highly this great Rome experience.

1  Thank garland1862

Reviewed September 22, 2013

In this class, I learned more about Fabio and his life than about cooking. The whole class was tasked with prep cooking, someone chopped an onion, someone else chopped meat, etc, and the assistants would take everything away, only to come back later with a finished result. I don't recommend this class for the price. Also, about 70% of what we made was packed away by the assistants, and I got the feeling that maybe we were preparing food to be used later in Fabio's restaurant.

FabiolousCookingDay, Proprietario at Fabiolous Cooking Day in Rome, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Hello,
I am always happy to have reviews so I can continue to improve my cooking school. Your review is very surprising to me because it is not usual that I have a student left dissatisfied and I apologize for that. Everyday we try to make the lesson very hands-on, giving each student duties and tasks, instead of simply lecturing about how to cook which would making the class more of a cooking demonstration. I have found in the past that this hands-on day for the students is more fun for them. Because each student is preparing a specific part of a bigger plate, I try to explain every step of the recipe, so everyone understand how it will all come together. However, it is a challenge to make everyone understand each specific step so I will try to improve on the explanation part of my lessons.
I think it is a nice experience for non-italians to get a peek into what it is like to live in Italy. Telling stories and hosting my clients at my apartment is a part of the Fabiolous Cooking Day experience that makes the day more personable. I like to get to know my clients and share my stories and home with them. I believe this shows them a part of the italian culture first hand, and makes the day more memorable for them.
As far as us packing food away, we do not take any food away from the cooking class, but we do wrap all of the pasta dough in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes before we work the dough while in the meantime we work on a different dish. This could have been misinterpreted for we were wrapping the dough for something else, but again it is possible the explanation of this process of letting the dough settle was underemphasized.
We will take your kind suggestions and try to improve from them.
Grazie,
Fabio Bongianni

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We made SO MUCH FOOD!! Ravioli, lasagna, gnocchi, stuffed tomatoes, stuffed zucchini, zucchini flower pizza, bruschetta, marinated peaches, Roman Chicken with ham and sage, rosemary potatoes, and probably more. The best part is there were only three of us and they STILL made all that effort to show us many things to make. They also provided wine for the whole day. It was WONDERFUL! and as a beginner cook they were very good at showing up the small details. Definitely worth it! Only thing to mention is that the town is more like 45-50 minutes away, not 30. Monica was lovely.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We spent an evening experiencing what it is like to cook in Rome. The chef in charge, Monica and her assistant Nicola were wonderful. They made us feel at home and at ease. Monica shared her favorite recipes and gave us insights into the use of herbs and fresh vegetables. We would highly recommend this Roman experience.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Booked through a walking tour of Rome which ended in a cooking class. We were dropped off by our tour guide to Monica at the restaurant who was excellent, very professional, personable, friendly, informative and quite funny. We made pasta in the open window with a few bystanders stopping to watch then Monica took the pasta we cooked and gave us an amazing meal plus a bottle of wine and a pannacotta dessert to top it off. This really made our holiday and want to thank Monica for everything she did! We are contemplating coming back for the full day cooking class... If Monica can cope with us of course :)