“An Excellent way to Finish off your Vacation!!”

Casa Howard Guest House Rome
Ranked #1,491 of 3,779 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I was arriving extremely early that day and when I contacted them they were most helpful about leaving my luggage there and that I could go walk and tour then come back and check-in. This Flat was absolutely amazing!!! Beautiful, each room has a theme, Tommy Boy is my room. My luggage was in my room a set of keys was ready when I returned. They were so sweet and so helpful. Everything that you would ever need is within walking distance; Bus', Tours, Subways, Shopping, Restaurant's and so much more!!! I do know that if I EVER go back to Rome Italy, I will be booking my stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed at the Capo le Case location in the White Room this past February/March and I must say it was absolutely perfect. Our room had a lovely canopied bed with a window looking out on Roman life as well as a personal sink and mirror. Just down the hall was our own personal bathroom. You're given your own key, and by the end of our trip it felt like we owned the place, very much like we had our own apartment in Rome! Just as great was the fact that we could literally walk to pretty much every site, or take the underground if we were tired. Everything was so personal and convenient, definitely a home away from home I'd love to visit again.

2  Thank Emily K
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Not much to add to other reviewers' praise of Casa Howard, which - as a select tour group of just seven people all staying there together - we found perfectly situated for galleries, restaurants, walking and shopping in the city. The decor was charmingly idiosyncratic, the service - such as it was - friendly and willing. But, as others have said, it is emphatically NOT a hotel. This reflected in the price, but also in the lack of staff at certain times, and the absence of breakfast (unless specially ordered - and we recommend you just go to a nearby bar, which is fresher and better in every way). There were glitches too. Two of our group returned one evening to find their sheets and towels had been mistakenly stripped, though the problem was sorted after some frantic phone calls. Then there was the smell of drains - mentioned in another review, which really is a problem. And the bad lighting in bedrooms: impossible to read in or on bed! Would we go back? Probably, but funds permitting, I think I might go for a 'proper' hotel next time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 5, 2013

It was the perfect place for our stay in Rome! The room was great and it is located right in the centre of Rome, so we were able to reach the most famous spots by foot. The receptionist was polite and very helpful if your new to the city. It's right next to the metro- and bus station which makes longer distances outside the centre easy to reach. This is going to be my favourite for an easy and comfortable stay in Rome!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank RobertM1990
Reviewed March 1, 2013

This place was really great for a 2-4 days stay in Rome. Its the perfect opportunity to go out for Lunch and Dinner in the city and being flexible during the night. Due to the small number of rooms it feels very personal and exclusive. The service was perfect and very kind and helpful with any questions concerning "inside tips" for Rome.

Room Tip: Every room is individually designed :) so you have to choose your favorite room on the website!
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Let us begin by saying that we are in Italy. Space is at a premium and buildings have old everything.

This place came recommended by an acquaintance who travels to Rome frequently. We stayed in the Indian Room, the only one available at the time of booking. I believe there are 5 total. It was bijou (but most would say claustrophobic) with bright yellow walls, brick red woodwork and multi-coloured mosaic tiles. That wasn't really a problem as you can cope with those things.

Upon arrival we were greeted by a charming young girl who explained the system of staying in this guest house, gave us the keys and then left us to it. Basically it is like staying at a friends apartment with no living room or kitchen - just bedrooms each with bathroom.

The toilet worked well but the sink took forever to drain and you need to be a contortionist to have a shower - it is less than a meter square. It would be better if it were simply a wet room with no shower curtain and they should add in a handheld sprayer for ease of showering. Good heating system. As far as noise, you could hear nothing from the road and only people talking in the halls as they were coming and going. I take earplugs everywhere anyway.

Now we understand Rome is an ancient city with ancient everything including old sewers and pipes but the smell of sewage coming from drains in our bathroom were nauseating and suffocating. Upon arriving home home each eveing of our three night stay, we would open the door to be greeted by a horrific smell of sewage which lasted through the night into the morning hours. Even opening the window, shutting the bathroom door and placing a towel across the bottom of the door did not seem to ease the stench. I can't begin to imagine what it is like in the summer months.

There were thread bare rugs and holes in the bed linens, stained white bedspread, chipped coffee cups. Bed pillows had no feathers left in them and the tatty old blanket slipped between the sheets needs throwing out. The wardrobe shelves were dusty but clean upon removing our sweaters. Things look a bit tired and in need of a freshen up.

The breakfast is not worth it (toast, coffee, croissant, jam and juice 10 euro each when you can go out the door to a local bar and get a fresh croissant, juice and coffee for less and soak up some atmosphere. There is an honesty bar in the hallway with wine, beer, water and soft drinks. There is a small kettle and instant coffee and tea in the room.

There was also someone smoking somewhere in the apartment. I need to verify if it was a non smoking guesthouse, I can't remember. We don't smoke so that was disappointing.

The staff and the location are really the most redeeming quality of this place. Was it worth it? We didn't think so. But don't just take our word for it. Read some of the other negative reviews as I believe a majority of these people speak the truth.

Room Tip: Stay out of Indian Room the smell of raw sewage is suffocating especially at night. Can't imagin...
1  Thank orbiting1
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Excellent service and location for a more than reasonable price. Rooms are small but you don't need more. It's cool and modern. You can use the refrigerator and though there's no concierge service personal is willing to help and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2012