“Charming Guest House in Central Location”

Casa Howard Guest House Rome
Ranked #1,491 of 3,780 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Casa Howard is a charming guesthouse just steps away from the Spanish Steps. It was a welcome change from the large business hotels that I am accustomed to staying at while traveling in Europe. It was like staying at a friend's place. From Casa Howard, I walked to all the major sites in Rome (including the Vatican). I could not have asked for a better location. The room, while small, was quaint and well maintained. The fresh flowers were a nice touch. For the White Room, there is no adjoining bathroom and you have to walk through the L-shaped apartment to get to your private bathroom (with a shower only and a toilet that you have to press hard to flush). Robes and slippers are provided. The owner and housekeeper are pleasant. However, they always appeared rushed when I saw them. At Casa Howard, you hear the other guests as they enter and move around the apartment. There is no concierge or assistance with your bags. You do not have access to a phone; however, wireless, while a bit weak, is available. There is an honor system minibar process and a continental breakfast is available for 10 euros.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed April 6, 2011

Casa Howard was the most magnificant , spendid well appointed place I have ever stayed in while travelling away from home. Jenifer Howard has done an exquisite job of hosting her guests in a perfect balance of form and function. She has dedicated herself to each and every detail, and does so with unsurpassable charm and grace. She accepts her guests as if they were royalty, and until one walks out of her doorway to depart, one treated this way. The staff ( Edgar and Christina) who work along beside her are unforgettable and extremely helpful. Centrally located in the heart of Rome, most everything is within walking distance. Casa Howard will stay in your heart forever. Don't go to Rome without staying here. It is worth staying here just to meet Jenifer!! She also has a place in Florence. Mary Kay Williams

Room Tip: Every room is the best!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2011

I just returned from Europe to Miami. I had the chance to stay at Casa Howard Sistina in Rome and the one in Firenze. Both experience were great with really personal and dedicated service. Only one thing to note. Please in the Casa Howard Rome how to get there directions at web, please modify it and say to get out in the subway's station Barberini. Is really around the corner and much more closer and accessible than Piazza Spagna.

I was recommended to stay there by a friend who owns a small boutique hotel at Camaiore - Tuscany. Which is real gem and worth to be visited "locanda al colle" http://www.locandaalcolle.it/

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 13, 2011

A colleague and I stayed at Casa Howard, Capo de Case in early February - we had the Blue and Chinese rooms. We both enjoyed it immensely and felt at home in Rome at once, Casa Howard contributing enormously to the very happy time we had in the city. The rooms are charming, well-appointed and beautifully kept - the atmosphere is much like a tasteful home than a hotel. The housekeeper makes sure nothing is wanting, but also keeps a low key presence to ensure visitors have space and privacy. I stayed in the Blue Room, a spacious corner room with loads of light. Despite the corner position, it was not noisy at all - shutters, double glazing and heavy quality curtains see to that - and i slept wonderfully. My colleague also enjoyed his stay in the Chinese room and intends a return visit to Casa Howard with his wife; I, too, would certainly stay again when in Rome. The location is ideal - we were able to walk everywhere very easily, with landmarks just a few minutes away eg Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, as were charming cafés and restaurants. Casa Howard suits independent people - by that, I mean people who want a lovely, safe place to stay, to have as a base from which to explore the city and all it has to offer. I would - and have - warmly recommended Casa Howard; it is fairly priced, and we managed a good deal by booking early.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank jennSydney
Reviewed February 4, 2011

Staying in a charming house rather than a big hotel makes you feel like less of a tourist and more like a local. The location is perfect, being right by the Spanish Steps. The house is nicely furnished and clean. Furthermore, the little details such as a big refrigerator stocked with complementary water, wine, and beer, and kimono robes imported from Japan really add to your trip. I highly recommend staying at any of their three houses.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank macpaige
Reviewed February 3, 2011

This was my 4th stay at one of Casa Howard's utterly fabulous guesthouses. And, they are completely marvelous. Why? Precisely because it is NOT a hotel. So, although we pay for the privilege of staying in one of Jenifer and Max's chic private apartments, we are treated like houseguests. The staff will do (almost) anything to accomodate your requests--last minute sartorial emergency, flowers or chocolates in your room, breakfast in bed, quick tour of the Vatican museum. The rooms are unique--there's nothing institutional or standard about anything. The mattress are divine, the linens are luxe, the bath have soap that you actually want to steal. There's a stocked fridge where you can always find a chilled bottle of vino or a diet coke. I always leave feeling sad....my house is not that chic and I certainly don't receive my breakfast tray in bed! Do try it when in Rome or Florence...you'll feel like a very spoiled native!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2011

We stayed in the Chinese Room for 4 nights from Dec. 2010-Jan. 2011.

Pros:
1. Great location walking distance to spanish steps
2. Pretty curtains and nice bedding in room
3. comfortable bed (very nice that it is one bed and not 2 twin beds pushed together)
4. Excellent breakfast with delicious fresh-squeezed OJ served in bed. We asked for eggs and hot cocoa. the Hot cocoa was the best in all of Italy (not thick like pudding, as is served everywhere else).
5. Free computer use and wi-fi (although we had to be in the lobby area to pick up the signal)
6. Nice big window and street view.
7. They provided kimonos and slippers to wear to the bathroom.
8. Heated towel rack in bathroom.

Cons:
1. This place needs sound insulation in a bad way. I've never stayed anywhere with walls and floors/ceilings this thin, ever. We could hear everything our neighbors did (and them us). There was a crazy loud bathroom right next to us (which of course was not ours. Ours was clear on the other side of the building).
2. Our bathroom was nowhere near our room. I understood that the bathroom would not be in the room, but I assumed it would be close to it. Big mistake. We had to walk past every other room, and through the computer/lobby area to get to our bathroom. Once there it always smelled musty/mildewy/sewagey. I tried to leave the fan on 24 hours a day and this helped a bit with the smell. The shower was cool (it was the turkish shower), really cool tile work. However it needs to be cleaned and aired out.
3. The toilet barely flushed, you had to hold it down for minutes at a time just to flush one piece of tissue.
4. There was no way to contact Cristine, no phones in the room or in the lobby. I tried emailing her but never heard a response back from anyone.
5. The people above us were pretty loud. But that was better than when they got quiet and we could hear either mice or rats scurrying directly over our heads.
6. They said I would be charged 40% upon booking, but it was actually 50%.
7. Sometimes there were strong/bad cooking odors coming from Cristine's living area. This place needs better ventilation.
8. No great restaurants in the immediate area.
9. Cristine came into our room multiple times a day, once when we were in the room in bed. There is no Do not disturb sign.
10. The tiny sink in the room is falling out of the wall.
11. There is no safe in the room.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple