“Great Breakfast”

Ranked #184 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
London
“Great Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

Overall this is a good hotel, massively helped by the great breakfast. The location of the hotel is also really good. The hotel is within easy walking distance to the heart of the city and the Vatican but far enough away from all of the hustle and bustle. This part of the city is also a bit cheaper. The hotel rooms are ok but nothing special. There are floor to ceiling windows which are nice but unfortunately there are no great views to be had. Be aware, the rooms have no irons and no kettles.

Room Tip: Take your own iron or you'll have to pay for laundry service.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank James6060

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Laval
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

We were offered to upgrade to 5th or 6th floor which are both revamped, wow!
Great design, perfect location if you are looking for calm and away from tourists. Many good Roman restaurants around and wonderful suggestions from Ricardo.
Would definitely return!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank MBLaval
Pontardawe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

I stayed here with my daughter for a 5 day break in 2013.This was a modern hotel with sun terrace on the roof which we would have used more had we stayed in a more temperate month than February. It was an ideal location for seeing all the sights and we walked to all the main attractions including the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and The Vatican. We were told we would need transport to the Coliseum but we walked that no problem stopping off half way for hot chocolate. The room was spacious with an entrance hall with wardrobe and safe before entering the main bedroom. Ideally situated as there were many shops and restaurants in the locale which was a bonus as the hotel only served breakfast. I would have scored this hotel an excellent if they had catered for lunch and dinner in the restaurant as we had to eat out every evening or relied on room service which is expensive.Overall, highly recommended for a city break in a beautiful, romantic city steeped in history.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 7CoralieR
Slough, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

My husband, daughter (22 years old) and I spent 5 wonderful days and nights in Rome staying at the Visconti Palace Hotel. This is a good, clean and welcoming hotel within easy walking distance (10-20 minutes) of most of the major tourist sites. Friendly, helpful staff and a great choice for breakfast (buffet style). Would defnately recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Northern Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for three nights before going on our cruise. Good location about a 15 minute walk from all of the main sights. Hotel was modern and clean. Most of the staff very helpful. Would definitely stay again

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

I stayed here for quite a number of nights and must say that my overall experience was underwhelming. I had paid a massive amount of money to stay for 7 nights (€1200) and was originally assured by the receptionist with whom I was in contact, that the price would be static and was going to increase in price as May approached. This was February, and within days the price I paid was now €100 less. One thing you will learn about this hotel should you choose to stay, is that they are money-driven more than loyalty-driven.

Good Points:

1) Very clean rooms, and cleaned at least once a day.
2) Very good free toiletries, e.g. they had 4x 50ml containers of shampoo, conditioner, moisturiser, and body wash, as well as a vanity set, shower cap and sponge.
3) Medium-sized, bright rooms (only Premier rooms/suites)
4) Very large and comfortable bed
5) Lovely continental breakfast, although the sausages (more of an English/Irish-type option) were cold and eggs runny)

Bad points:

1) The problems started once I checked in. Upon entering my room, the bathroom wouldn't open. I had to call in one of the cleaners who was unable to open it. She then called a more senior lady who managed to shove it open by using a coin and sheer force-not an ideal start.

2) Because I was staying in a Premier room, I should have had tea/coffee facilities. However, none were provided. I had to ring reception and it came quite quickly then.

3) The A/C is very difficult to work and you cannot control it. I just turned it off because I could not increase the temperature. It was very cold, particularly at night in the room despite roasting temperatures outside. Turning it off was the better option because it meant that the room returned to a more comfortable temperature.

4) The room service charge is an absolute disgrace. As a fellow lodger has mentioned below this review, €7 is the basic rate. I order a lasagne that was undercooked and cold, and a 'pizza' which had a soggy base, tasteless mozzarella, and raw tomatoes. This horrible meal cost me €29 altogether. Also, the options available were extremely limited and mostly unavailable. TIP: Do not eat at this over-priced hotel-only have breakfast here which is included in the price.

5) The people at reception are very limited in their English, and are not overly nice, just plain and not very helpful, e.g. ordering a taxi means you must find the porter for yourself. The bar workers are extremely ignorant and quite confrontational. However, the breakfast workers are really lovely, and make sure you're comfortable and happy with the food.

6) The hotel is a good 15-20 minute walk from St. Peter's Square. For me, that's a bit too far and next time, I plan on staying in a B&B that is closer to the Vatican.

7) I could hear everything that was happening in rooms next door to mine and also upstairs. Literally, a lady sneezed in the next room and I could hear it. Also, italians staying in the hotel were incredibly loud, running and singing in the hallways.

8) They only had 1 English-speaking channel which was SkyNews International. I rang to reception to a man who typical of the other receptionists, always gave the impression that you were disturbing/annoying him. He said I had the BBC-untrue. He insisted that it was impossible to get cable TV. Despite this, they have hundreds of Italian channels on the TV-not very accommodating for the international tourists staying here.

9) Another example of the incredibly selfish behaviour of this hotel was the fact that they leave a small can of Pringles out on the table for you. At first, you think they're complimentary as there is no price attached, nor is there any indication that you must pay. Just as well I waited for the man with my tea/coffee facilities to arrive as he informed me that the small can of Pringles was €5! The minibar priced a can of coke at €5.

10) Leaving out magazine with smudges on the pages from a previous lodger is not hygienic and quite disgusting.

Overall, I was very disappointed with this hotel. I had trawled through TripAdvisor/Booking.com looking for a proper place to stay for my week in Rome. Just like you, I wanted to be sure that the place where I would spend my time was clean, luxurious, and pleasant. I cannot say that this was the case.

Overall, if you're happy staying in a supposed 4* hotel, which has less than a 3* quality for 4* prices, choose this. Otherwise, please learn from my mistake and don't choose this hotel. There are better options.

Thank you for reading!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank EmeraldIsle333
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

My husband and I spent three nights at Visconti Palace before finishing our honeymoon in Sicily. We knew Rome had the potential to feel chaotic, but this hotel was just right. Far enough from the bulk of the tourists, but easy to walk to many places. Staff members were helpful whenever we wanted a taxi or needed anything else. We stayed in a very nice suite on the seventh floor. The room was spacious and well appointed. We definitely enjoyed having breakfast on our balcony one morning. We only wish the seventh floor bar/terrace had been open later into the evening (closed at 7pm), but that might have been seasonal. All-in-all, a good value, given hotel prices in Rome.

Room Tip: The suite was worth it for a fantastic extra on our honeymoon.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple