“Hotel with personality”

Ranked #558 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
“Hotel with personality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

This was my second visit to the Rex as we thoroughly enjoyed our first visit in 2013
Positives
- very friendly staff who were so helpful and always took the time to speak and engage in conversation.
- very comfortable room (superior room) , this was our 6th visit to Rome and they are the largest we have known. Clean room with thick carpet, huge bed which was very comfortable and had 3 great nights sleep
- lots of storage space and clothes hangers. I'm sick of booking into rooms for a week and only getting a few hangers!
- free safe, first hotel that hasn't charged for what I class as a necessity
- kettle and tea tray. Again first hotel I have ever known outside of England to provide this service!
- tv and playstation with a large selection of DVDs to borrow
- hotel has lots of character which you don't find in a 'normal' hotel
- breakfast can be taken on the roof terrace.
- great coffee for breakfast
- good location which meant we could walk everywhere
- strong wi-fi. I usually don't use this as I like to escape when on holiday but my mum downloaded an e-book and photos to Facebook quickly
- lots of electric sockets, again I often find it a struggle to charge a phone, dry my hair etc but our room had lots and in the right places.
- did I mention the lovely staff ?!

Negatives - most of these are personal preference and should not put you off stopping or detract from a great hotel as the positives far outweigh any of these
- I would have liked a mirror above the desk / dressing table so I could do my hair and make up in comfort
- the lighting was very subtle in the bedroom I would have preferred more light
- for such a great hotel with lots of different things to look at our room didn't have pictures. This was not a problem I just found it out of keeping with the hotel
- could do with a new shower as it was a little worn. I should state the bathroom was very clean and towels plentiful
- I preferred the breakfast in 2013, this year there was less choice but you did get your own bread / pastry basket. I did not go hungry this is just my personal preference.

I would happily recommend this hotel and if we were to return to Rome we would definitely stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank CumbrianTraveller76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 1 night en route to Genoa to start a meditteranean cruise. Big mistake!
Reception staff were friendly enough, telling us we had one of the best rooms in the hotel. If this was one of the best i wouldn't want to see the worst. Our room was at the back of the hotel a long way from the very small lift. We had to drag suitcases up and down stairs to our very ordinary rooms. The main problem we experienced was the fact that when we arrived we asked for a 6am wake up call which we never recieved. This caused us to miss our flight and almost miss the cruise ship. Nothing would convince me to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David R
Terrigal, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Have travelled throughout Italy and taking all positive and negative reviews into consideration, we were hoping to have a positive experience.
We arrived at 2pm (check in time) to be told our room was not ready and we would have to wait at least 1 hour. We had travelled from Florence and hadn't had lunch, so the friendly staff (as per previous reviews) suggested a few places nearby.
Our room was spacious and the air con worked very well (no complaints). However the shower door didn't close probably and there was black mould spots in the shower floor.
The hotel is located very centrally - close to train station, and all the best sights.
Breakfast was a strange self-selve combination: cereal (only corn flakes or rice bubbles), yoghurt (but no fruit), juice, cakes, cold rice vegetable dish, and a large hot omelette. A real plus for me was the coffee option of cappuccino or latte!
Overall you get what you pay for.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

Stay away!!

I just checked out of my 2-night stay at Hotel Rex, and I've got to say it was a miserable experience.

When we checked in, the friendly front desk clerk offered us a chance to upgrade to a better room for 15 euros a night. I made it clear to the clerk that air-conditioning was extremely important (Rome in June isn't exactly cool) and she assured me that the entire hotel has air conditioning. So I decided to take her up on the offer.

However, the "upgraded" room she took us to was at the very end of the hall, and it was extremely hot. We figured since the thermostat was turned off when we first got in, we didn't say anything. We then left for a full day of sight seeing and returned late at night. We spent that night sleeping in sweat. Our unit clearly was broken, or it was just not letting out any air. It was like a hot sauna. When we woke up early the next morning and complained to the man that was working the front desk, he advised us that our unit probably wasn't broken, but that the entire A/C in the hotel gets shut off between 1am and 6am. Fine, I thought. But when we returned later that evening to once again a baking hot room, we complained again, this time to a different front desk person. He was an older and very friendly man. He came up to our room and played around with the thermostat, and he tried his very best to see what was wrong, but he couldn't fix it. He basically shrugged his shoulders and advised us to open the window. So we did that. Unfortunately, our room being on the 2nd floor was very close to the busy street, so an opened window meant the sounds of car horns and thundering booms from the metal dumpster. This noise was probably worse than sleeping in a hot sweat. Long story short, we didn't sleep well either of our two nights.

When we checked out the next morning, the front desk person (another different one) insisted we pay the 30 euros for the upgrade. I explained to her the situation and she said "you shouldn't have waited till check-out to complain". I told her I DID complain, twice, but was first told the A/C automatically gets turned off between 1am and 6am, and then was told our unit was indeed broken and that we should open our windows. She then looked me in the eye and told me the unit wasn't broken, essentially calling me a liar, especially when you consider her own fellow staff member confirmed with me that it was broken when he inspected it,

I asked to speak to the manager but she said he wasn't available. She then made a phone call, and after several minutes she hung up and said we had to pay. I was baffled how a hotel so seemingly concerned with their online reputation could be so ridiculously cheap and willing to trade a negative review just for 30 euros in their pocket.

Another issue with this hotel - the WI-FI was awful. Even in the lobby area it was spotty at best, and was completely non-existent in our room. We complained about this several times (WI-FI is very important for our needs) and was told each time they would "reset" it, but that never improved anything. No WI-FI in a hotel in 2014 is just unacceptable, especially for a 4-star hotel.

The room itself was average, rather firm mattress, extremely small shower with very weak water pressure, and no tub. The hotel overall doesn't feel very clean. It's not "dirty" per se, just sort of "dusty". And the decor isn't sure if it wants to be sleek and modern, or a museum/graveyard of old desktop computers from the 70s and 80s. I didn't quite understand the random placement of dusty Apple IIs and first generation eMacs placed all over the hotel. Bottom line, this is NOT a 4-star hotel, no matter what the website says.

The only reason I give it 2-stars and not 1-star is because of the hotel's very central location that is a short walk from most of the major attractions. And also, the staff overall has a very friendly nature, and they appear to be very cordial. But as cordial as they are, they apparently don't believe in the importance of customer service. I cannot in my right mind give this hotel anything higher than 2 stars considering we didn't get any sleep, and the hotel in the end just didn't seem to care. They had a chance to earn another star from me, but lost it when they still charged me for this supposed "upgrade".

Stay away from this place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank EricScottL
caupino, Proprietario at Hotel Rex, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Sir,

i don't like to write this but what you have written is false and ridiculous.
I just use your words :
" I was baffled how a hotel so seemingly concerned with their online reputation could be so ridiculously cheap and willing to trade a negative review just for 30 euros in their pocket. "

This can let understand what you wanted to do: save money exchanging a nice review.
Well, we are not used to accept extorsion, because your was a attempt to extort.

What you wrote is very simple to find in past reviews and it's easy to write in the negative way you did.
In your judgement perhaps we were stupid to not let you go without paying the poor sum of 30 euros, but for us, me and my staff ( all guys who work at the Rex and saw you and your wife ) the value of true is much more then this.
Sorry to go down in Tripadvisor ranking, but we will not trade ( your word ) your lies with our reputation.
And lucky that I was not at the Rex because I should have say these words directly to you.
This is not the Rex way, but , thanks to God, we are not used such these guests.
Regards

Pino Cau
owner
Belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

Very small room but that tends to be the way in major European cities. No restaurant as such but provided a continental breakfast. Short walk from all the main sites and two minutes from the metro. Staff very helpful.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Consett, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Excellent location. Very close to railway termini. Plenty of restaurant choices in the locality.
Bus services down to Vatican and Forum / Colliseum are also just a short walk away.
Our room was on the front of the hotel and we had to close our windows at night so that we wouldn't be woken early by traffic noise, but not a major issue.
Room was clean and spacious. King size bed. Bathroom was a decent size. Some of the grouting in the shower needed to be repaired where it had broken away and was discoloured.
WiFi worked well.
Receptionists were very helpfull.
Limited and sometimes unusual choices of items at breakfast, but adequate. Very pleasant sitting out on the roof terrace to eat breakfast.
Would we stay there again? A definite yes

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

Great place access to Termini station and many attractions are within walking distance. Breakfast on the roof terrace is very relaxing, and has more options than some standard Italian breakfasts, but still less than American breakfasts. Rooms more than adequate, staff very helpful. WiFi worked well

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple