“Soso. Good location, but not good if you like modern and quiet”
Review of Quirinale Hotel

Quirinale Hotel
Ranked #233 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Leven, United Kingdom
“Soso. Good location, but not good if you like modern and quiet”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

First thing to remember is that hotels in Rome aren't cheap. They're typically expensive, old, and in this case, quite grand. If you like that sort of thing.

The rooms are large, clean, and decorated with antiques. That's great if you appreciate that style. I don't - I'd rather QUIET, and in order to get quiet, I'm willing to sacrifice space.

The noise comes from two things: the lovely wooden floors (and they are nice to look at) and the thin walls. Unfortunately the walls are just "old" rather than poor quality. Frustratingly, I awoke in the early hours to the sound of the gentleman next door relieving himself, and then woke a few hours later to him running a bath. Not good.

As for service - only request was another pillow, which was brought up promptly.

Other upsides: great location (walking distance of the railway station); wonderful public spaces; looks like a nice garden cafe area (wasn't open when we visited, too cold!)

Downsides: reception busy and brusk. Noisy.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joe M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Workington
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Having enjoyed a wonderful break at this hotel 10 years ago with a group of friends we thought we would book it again for few days in Rome this year on our own. We were very pleased to find that the hotel has maintained its charm and we had a lovely break. Staff were excellent, food good and our large room (standard twin) was of a high standard (although the bathroom is ready for a little renovation). Overall an excellent place to stay and all the main attractions were within comfortable walking distance (although we used the Metro for The Vatican). Would definitelt use this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dhardcastle30
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I read a few bad reviews and was nervous. My wife and I are here now on our honeymoon and this place is great. Not sure what the negative people were talking about. This place is excellent and the room is huge. Staff very friendly. Breakfast is just hotel breakfast . Otherwise this place is great.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Guinness1971
Paris
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I was in Roma for one day, for a business workshop in the Hotel Quirinale. The location of this hotel is excellent : 10 mn walk from the Trevi fountain and the center of Roma. Not far from the train station.
I had to wait to get my room, but in compensation the front desk attributed me a suite : the room was spacious, calm, well equiped and splendid.
Breakfast offers lot of choice, the service was good. The patio with the small garden and fountain was very nice for lunch and cocktails.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Cami2D
Middle East
Reviewed April 23, 2013

First the positives..... centrally located on via nazionale, and for the most part within waling distance of many of the major attractions (Trevini Fountain, Spanish steps, The Colosseum, Piazza Venezia, The Pantheon and so on. Also a short ride away from the Vatican, Villa Borgese etc.

The hotel has an elegant charm about it, and one feels taken back in time living inside there. On the night we arrived(my family), we were put in one superior deluxe room and one deluxe room as there two vacant superior deluxe rooms(what we had booked) open next to each other. The receptionists were helpful to us, and made up for this by upgrading us to an executive room very very spacious) attached to a superior double room. Both rooms were very spacious, clean, and had an antique feel to them. The kids enjoyed the open space, and overall we were quite happy with the rooms. The down side was that the rooms were facing via nazionale and on a few night the traffic sounds bothered me, but not too much.
I must mention that the cleaning staff(housekeeping) was exceptional, and one of the best I have seen in terms of efficiency and promptness. I have seen many reviews mentioning the non-functioning AC, but for us it was working fine, and we even had to turn it off during the nights as the temperatures dipped a bit (April 16th-April 21, 2013).
Check-in and check-out was efficient for us, and we even were accommodated for a late checkout even thought the hotel was packed with a huge turnover each day while we were there. Lastly the internet was free and the speed was quite reasonable.
Now the minuses......The choice of food available in the restaurant is very limited and a big minus. The morning breakfast hardly has any variety, though whatever is available is of an above-average quality. Breakfast overall was a big disappointment, and we had the other meals on all days elsewhere.
The hotel is overall not kid-friendly. I found myself carrying my 2 year old-sons stroller in my lap up and down the stairs mainly while going to take the elevators to and from he room, as well as to the restaurant for breakfast. The floors of the rooms are barely carpeted(I was told this was by law because of carpets inducing allergic problems in certain people including asthmatics), and while the hard wooden floors were better than marbled floors, they left me and my wife nervous with the kids running around(we had to practically be after them just to make sure they wouldn't slip or fall).
For a 4+ star hotel , it was disappointing not to find tea/coffee makers, or even complimentary water in the rooms (specially the higher priced superior or executive rooms). There is no swimming pool or other usual amenity expected in a 4+ star hotel. (they do have a small gym/training room)
Overall, given that we spent little time in the hotel, we did not have any major complaints and were satisfied. The negatives we found are as above. For the size of the rooms, for the location and history of the place, for the price that one pays, I would think that this hotel is recommendable.

Room Tip: Take the room facing the garden
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank arshadmian786
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed here during a recent holiday initially. I had stayed here years before and found that the hotel still offered accommodation at a reasonable price and of a high quality. Rooms are spacious and very clean. The location is terrific with he main railway station within walking distance. There are some reasonable restaurants in the area but some very average ones on the Via Nationale!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dan S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is a large hotel with varying rooms. The room I was given has two beds but really only a single. Other people in my party had better, but avoid the front rooms due to the noise which carries on through the night. Also not all our rooms were ready and we were given no definite answer of when they would be. The breakfast area facing the garden is not suitable for the size of hotel and the actual food is not good enough for a 4 star.

The staff on the front desk vary and it is a real question of luck who you deal with. My main problem however was when I lost my safe key and needed their help. Unbelievably they would not open the safe for me until the day I left!!! As "they could not be sure who I was" after staying there for 2 days previous. Although they were asked again the morning after, again I was brushed off. I asked the receptionist to help me find the phone number for the restaurant opposite the Vatican where I thought I might have lost it and she could not find the telephone number on a famous street with only two restaurants!! Also there would be a 150 euros charge for changing the barrel for a new key.

Its an interesting hotel in a good location but this experience means I would not stay there again. When you have a problem like mine, there was no assistance at all, only indifference.

Room Tip: Front of building are noisy during the night due to main road traffic, dustmen etc
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends