“Centrally Located”
Review of Quirinale Hotel

Quirinale Hotel
Ranked #229 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My husband and I spent the first 3 nights of a two-week trip to Italy at the Quirinale Hotel. When we arrived from Boston around 10am, our room was not available, so we walked around the city (somewhat like zombies from lack of sleep). Unfortunately, I arrived with a stomach bug and wasn't feeling well. When my husband tried to communicate this to the desk staff, but they did not seem to care. We finally got into our room by 2:30pm. Overall, the hotel was very pretty and clean and the guest rooms were more spacious than the average European hotel. The Quirinale is centrally located near many attractions, particularly Ancient Rome and the Colosseum, as well as many restaurants and shops. It is also just a block or so away from the subway system and bus stops, making it easy to go anywhere in the city. The restaurant, which has a lovely terrace overlooking some gardens, provides a breakfast that is more American than is typically found in Italy, with a hot and cold buffet that includes scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage. My only negative comment for this hotel was the staff, who were not very friendly or helpful. We would stay here again for the location alone.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Quirinale Hotel

Reviewed October 12, 2012

This hotel is a grand old hotel that wears it's age very well. It has a large lobby leading into equally large sitting and common areas. Quite impressive compared to a lot of other hotels we've visited during this trip. We, along with many others, had to wait until between 4-5PM for a 2PM check-in. Not the kind of thing you look forward to after a travel day. The desk staff was hit and miss during our stay. Sometimes friendly and helpful, other times it seemed we were bothering them to ask a question.

The rooms actually had a small foyer, with separate entrances from it into the bedroom and bathroom. The rooms were large and well-maintained, but older, in character with the hotel in general, with a sitting area and a desk with small touches evocative of times gone by, like a valet with a trousers press . We never felt crowded.

We did not eat dinner in the hotel, but the breakfasts were varied and delicious.

I had read other reviews of hotels near the Termini train station where travellers felt unsettled by homeless people on the streets. This is not a concern with this hotel. You are on main streets the entire route. However, even during my walks on side streets I never saw anything to make me feel uncomfortable.

I would stay here again.

The only negative I experienced, and it's not the hotel, but the Green Lines Tours displayed in the hotel lobby are a complete waste of time and money.

4  Thank Richard L
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This hotel is centrally located in a reasonably good part of town. The hotel is a slightly faded historic building. The 1950s lounge area in particular is of historic interest, though the rest of the hotel is older. We had a relatively good (in local comparison) breakfast on the terrace overlooking the lovely garden courtyard. The friendly though overworked staff upgraded our (internet booked discounted) room. This room was pleasant, reasonably spacious and quiet.

1  Thank DesignTourist
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed 5 nights at the Hotel Quirinale on Via Nazionale in the heart of Rome. Built in the 1860's this building has some spectacular grand rooms from the lobby inward. Our room was GREAT, with 12 foot ceilings and hardwood floors, plus a king sized bed. The spacious bathroom was very nice with a marble tiled floor & walls. We had breakfast included with our room rate and that exceeded our expectations as well with excellent wait staff. Our rooms air conditioning was surprisingly good, not that noisy especially for a building built in this era. Free Wi-Fi. Central location only a mile walk to the Colosseum, and less than a mile and a half walk to the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain.

Room Tip: Nothing special about our rooms view, but it was VERY quite. We slept without any interruptions
2  Thank Steve K
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Unfortunately I stayed at this hotel relying on recent good reviews on the website and can not understand how anyone could have given this hotel such good reviews. Apart from its location near the central train station there are no redeeming features - the bedroom was noisy with little insulation between rooms, the shower did not work (there was a bath fortunately), there was no working radiator in the bathroom so the towels were always wet, the television did not work (the hotel said they would send a technician to repair it but after waiting an hour no-one had turned up or contacted me and when asked where he was I was told that he had gone home!) and the ac was not controllable; the food in the hotel can only be described as awful - we had dinner there the first night but gave up after waiting 45 mins for the starter which when it arrived without any apology was not cooked properly and with food slopped around the side of the plate. Breakfast was mediocre. This is not a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: I would check with the hotel in advance exactly which room you are to be allocated as from talking t...
1  Thank RReliant
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The hotel is very old which can be quite charming, but I'm afraid this one needs a revamp. The outdoor bar is nice but the restaurant is overpriced and service is not very good. Won't stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank UStrav2
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Was taken here by my husband for our 20th wedding anniversay and may well have to come back for my 40th birthday, it was a lovely hotel in a perfect location. I was rather nervous on arrival as the is the first trip I had not personally booked and am rather picky about where I stay and do not enjoy modern characterless hotels. I need not have worried, my husband made an excellent choice. A beautiful imperial hotel dating from 1865, just a few minutes walk from the main train station or if you wish to be even less energetic you can take a 1 stop metro ride to within 100yds of the hotel which it located on via Nazionale in front of the opera house. For once I may be a little lazy with my descriptions and add some photos to do the hotel justice.

On a warm evening our arrival in the cool peace and tranquility of the lobby was most welcome. A smiling porter rushed to open a regular door for us to save us negotiationg the adjacent revolving doors with our luggage. Within a few minutes we were checked in and on our way to our room. LOvely grand staircase but we made use of one of the two lifts as we had luggage with us (small flight of steps to get to the lifts) and our room was on the fourth floor.

Our room was beautiful and a decent size. I was surprised at how spacious the room was and my husband prodly informed me he had asked for a superiour room and also to be facing the rear of the hotel to avoid noise from the main road. The bathroom was well eqipped with the bonus of two sinks, complimentary toiletries, bathrobes and slippers. The bedroom did have a minibar but did not have tea/coffee facilities although there was a notice in the room to apologise that this was not a hotel decision but a Rome fire dept regulation. The beds were large and comfortable as were the armchairs.

There is a beautiful sitting room downstairs through which you will go on your way to the restaurant for breakfast. It is possible to sit inside or outside for breakfast, which is buffet style. The breakfast was excellent, continental plus scrambled eggs, smoked sausage and bacon. (note the bacon is the continental thin ham style). The only difficulty with the breakfast was the amount of older women helping themselves to 4 or 5 bananas each to take with them on their outings so if you happen to enjoy a banana with your breakfast, get there early. Excellent orange juice and the yoghurts very also very good.

We ate dinner in the restaurant on our arrival as after travelling we were too tired to go out. The meal was of a good standard although on first glance rather expensive but turned out to be not much different in price to many other restaurants we saw.

There is free internet in the hotel, signal is better in the rooms than in the restuarant/courtyard but not a problem as obviously internet not needed whilst dining anyway. You have to collect a code from reception to access the wifi and each device requires a separate code. Once you leave the wifi for more than a few minutes or leave the hotel, you will need to re-enter the code to gan access again so keep hold of the ticket or you will need to return to reception for a new code. This was a little annying but better than no internet at all as in many hotels.

I thouroghly enjoyed my surprise stay at this hotel and will certainly use it the next time I am in Rome.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple